Author Topic: My Civil war reenacting kit. Feel like sharing.  (Read 21972 times)

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Re: My Civil war reenacting kit. Feel like sharing.
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2012, 01:12:42 pm »
I was just joking. Sorry, it's hard to get the joke right when you are typing on the phone.  :P

Still, Hardee hats were for Dress and battle situation, the forage cap for...wel...foraging.

Offline Millander

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2012, 11:51:34 am »
I think you might be confusing it with the European way with the shacko and forage cap.

The Forage cap was the name given to the standard issue kepi worn by both sides. It was given its name because like you said it was good for foraging. However unlike the European manner where they were worn for camp and foraging activities (I believe you had an old picture with you wearing one?) Civil War Forage Caps (kepis) were standard issue. They were worn in all situations whether it be battle ,camp or parade.

The name doesn't fully suite it but thats what ended up happening.

Some units were issued hardees however they were more conman in the western theatre where uniforms were less regulated unlike in the east. slouch hats along with other head wear were common of the scruffie westerners.
Of course, I also think lines should be able to move in double rank without having emotional breakdowns.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2012, 12:44:32 pm »
But, the forage caps were ORIGINALLY intended to be worn on un-official times, am I right?

My current avatar shows the forage hat of the 27th Battalion of Jagers, a light infantry unit who had a good amount of ex-pupilles within their ranks.

Offline Millander

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2012, 08:41:21 pm »
But, the forage caps were ORIGINALLY intended to be worn on un-official times, am I right?

Not civil war forage caps. The European forage cap yes.
Of course, I also think lines should be able to move in double rank without having emotional breakdowns.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2012, 09:09:12 pm »
Then, why name them forage caps?

What was the intention of the Hardee hats then?

Offline Bluehawk

• Sergeant Major
  • чекмень - шаровары - шашка
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2012, 09:58:28 pm »
By the 1858 regulations, the forage cap was part of the fatigue dress, which was not supposed to be worn on parade or in battle. The Hardee hat was the campaign hat. But as time went on, soldiers started wearing the fatigue headgear at all times because it was the most comfortable and practical, and it became the most common and iconic style of dress. There were also stiffened shakos for parade dress in the Union army, but you definitely (hopefully) won't see those at battle reenactments.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2012, 10:09:37 pm »
By the 1858 regulations, the forage cap was part of the fatigue dress, which was not supposed to be worn on parade or in battle. The Hardee hat was the campaign hat. But as time went on, soldiers started wearing the fatigue headgear at all times because it was the most comfortable and practical, and it became the most common and iconic style of dress. There were also stiffened shakos for parade dress in the Union army, but you definitely (hopefully) won't see those at battle reenactments.

Exactly what I thought.

I believe the artillery had pretty shako's, with silly plumes, not unlike those of the Prussian guard artillery.

Personally, I've always liked the German-style forage hats of the US army, which you sometimes see in movies and re-enactments. They really are the perfect mix between a forage cap and a dress hat - comfortable, but very soldier-like.

Offline Millander

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2012, 12:40:26 pm »
Maybe in the beginning of the war but I would think shacko's and plumes would have died out just as fast from he artilley as they did the infantry.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2012, 01:37:19 pm »
Maybe in the beginning of the war but I would think shacko's and plumes would have died out just as fast from he artilley as they did the infantry.

They did, as they are never seen on war photographs. Except maybe early ones.

Offline MackCW

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2012, 12:00:18 am »

Are you saying that Hardee hats were not seen in the later part of the war? Especially in the Western theatre?

Offline Bluehawk

• Sergeant Major
  • чекмень - шаровары - шашка
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2012, 01:53:35 am »
I did not acknowledge the West at all.

Offline MackCW

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2012, 02:19:31 am »
Honestly all I can tell you is trying to pinpoint a regiments headgear or general headgear in the civil war is hard. Each regiment even in the North was supplied by the state. Lincoln asked for volunteer regiments so he could supplement the U.S regulars, thus regulations do not apply.

By 1864 regiments North and South had all manner of headgear. You can't classify one piece of headgeAr being weeded out, except shakos.

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • This blamed fight aint got a rear
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2013, 02:42:24 am »
Im curious, why do you have Hardee hat when your...20th Maine? 

Offline Odysseus

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2013, 03:25:56 am »
Because they had Hardee hats.

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • This blamed fight aint got a rear
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2013, 03:53:59 am »
Because they had Hardee hats.

Well, aye it was U.S. Army Issue, but I just never thought imagining the 20th Maine with Hardee hats.