Poll

Has organized religion contributed positively or negatively in the world?

Very positively
Moderately positively
Equally positively and negatively
Moderately negatively
Very negatively

Author Topic: Religion Thread  (Read 97678 times)

Offline ClearlyInvsible

• Donator
  • I'm still here. Dunno why.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: ClearlyInvsible
  • Side: Union
Religion Thread
« on: April 01, 2014, 12:05:49 am »
Ok, so we have an Atheist thread. That's all fine and dandy, but I think it'd be nice if we had a platform to actually discuss religion as a whole and not just focus on the whole *Is there a God* question.

I mean if there isn't a God, there's still the possibility of an afterlife. If there is a God, there's a chance there is no afterlife. What does religion mean, what you believe and all of that.

So yeah, debate away my fellow FSEers. Keep it civil however, act with respect and don't trash another person's beliefs. I have Sean and McEwan on speed-dial.

POLL 1 (How do alight yourself religiously?):
Christianity (General)  27
Catholicism  24
Protestantism (Christianity)  13
Baptism  3
Greek Orthdox  2
Russian Orthodox  2
----------------------
Judaism (General)  4
Orthodox  1
Conservative  2
----------------------
Islam (General)  2
Sunni  6
Shia  2
Quranist  1
----------------------
Theravada Buddhism  1
Shinto Buddhism  1
Taoism  2
Confucianism  1
----------------------
Jainism 2
----------------------
Deism  2
Agnostism  24
Non-Affiliated (Athiest)  28
Other  14
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 10:43:59 pm by ClearlyInvsible »
"No man will make a great leader who wants to do it all himself or get all the credit for doing it."- Andrew Carnegie
“A man who has no conscience, no goodness, does not suffer.” - Khaled Hosseini
Faggots will burn in hell anyway, who cares.

Offline Killington

• Major General
  • Everyone's favourite
    • View Profile
Re: Religion Thread
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 12:18:15 am »
I'm offended that Rejeism is not present on the list.
In theory we could do huge player numbers far over 500 players per server...  As such we will surely keep our promise to deliver you the 500 players per server.

We will probably go (far) over it, but that's for later.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 12:21:12 am »
I come for 62.5% from catholic stock. Does that count?  :P

Offline ClearlyInvsible

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 12:23:24 am »
I come for 62.5% from catholic stock. Does that count?  :P

...What does that even mean?
"No man will make a great leader who wants to do it all himself or get all the credit for doing it."- Andrew Carnegie

Offline Commissar Jdf

• General
    • View Profile
  • Nick: USMC_Maj_CommissarJdf
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 12:48:07 am »
Agnosticism is not a religion.  ;D

Offline Killington

• Major General
  • Everyone's favourite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 12:50:16 am »
Neither is Atheism, but it's a stance on the issue, so it's there.  :)
In theory we could do huge player numbers far over 500 players per server...  As such we will surely keep our promise to deliver you the 500 players per server.

Offline ClearlyInvsible

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2014, 12:50:49 am »

Fine, let me edit the title. Damn detail pickers :P

Offline Commissar Jdf

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2014, 12:57:20 am »

Fine, let me edit the title. Damn detail pickers :P

This is a thread involving religion.

Offline ClearlyInvsible

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2014, 12:58:13 am »
Aye, so debate religion, not my posting skills!  :D

Offline Commissar Jdf

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2014, 01:06:33 am »
Aye, so debate religion, not my posting skills!  :D

I'm suggesting that this is a very touchy subject, be careful.

Offline ClearlyInvsible

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2014, 01:10:24 am »
I've got enough faith left in this community to think they can sustain a mature discussion for a bit.

Offline William

• Major General
  • What doth life?
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel where I upload NW and M&B
  • Nick: CluelessWill
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2014, 01:19:39 am »
I sometimes wonder about atheists as they simply seem to think "we are here just cuz". Do I dislike them, no, but I just think that it's silly to think we are just here and were started by a spark of energy. Where did that energy come from? What sparked it? What sparked that? The list goes on and on and as I type this myself I begin to contemplate existence itself which is ultimately where religion can fill the gaps. Anyways, there is always an explanation and although religion is somewhat primitive in hinds sight, it offers somewhat of an explanation to life and why we are here.
Check out my YT channel where I post NW www.youtube. com/c/CluelessWill
Spoiler
god damn, Anthony is smart, he was able to get the shit AEF to tie with the best reg in the game. The tactical geniusness needed to pull off such a feat is insane. He's the Erwin Rommel of NW.
i always get an erection when i check my subscrptions and see that phresh cluelesswill vid
It won't be FSE developing it, so it will come out!
[close]

Offline Commissar Jdf

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2014, 01:22:56 am »
Religion is here to make people feel better about what they can not conceive mentally. Religion once thought the world was flat, the Earth was the center of the universe, and so on. Why would a loving and benevolent God (by the way, early in the Old Testament he is described as an evil and malevolent) destroy his people with malaria, AIDs, and other diseases?

Offline ClearlyInvsible

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2014, 01:26:19 am »
I sometimes wonder about atheists as they simply seem to think "we are here just cuz". Do I dislike them, no, but I just think that it's silly to think we are just here and were started by a spark of energy. Where did that energy come from? What sparked it? What sparked that? The list goes on and on and as I type this myself I begin to contemplate existence itself which is ultimately where religion can fill the gaps. Anyways, there is always an explanation and although religion is somewhat primitive in hinds sight, it offers somewhat of an explanation to life and why we are here.

Same here. The convo in my head goes as so;

1: What caused the Universe?

2: Big Bang

1: What caused that?

2: I dunno

1: God?

2: Possibly

Second reason I've believed Abrahamic faiths to be legit is because... they still exist. And they still have large amounts of followers. I mean these guys literally went through the gauntlet and yet somehow survived. How the hell do slaves outrun an army without the help of some kind of outside force? Or how does a Salesman manage to lead a combined Islamic-Jewish Army to take over an entire damned city!?

But this all happened ages ago, reason why Athiesm is growing. People can just wave it off as stupid stories.

Religion is here to make people feel better about what they can not conceive mentally. Religion once thought the world was flat, the Earth was the center of the universe, and so on. Why would a loving and benevolent God (by the way, early in the Old Testament he is described as an evil and malevolent) destroy his people with malaria, AIDs, and other diseases?

I'll answer that question with another question, why is it that just because bad things happen there can't be a God?

Offline Killington

• Major General
  • Everyone's favourite
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2014, 01:31:29 am »
I sometimes wonder about atheists as they simply seem to think "we are here just cuz". Do I dislike them, no, but I just think that it's silly to think we are just here and were started by a spark of energy. Where did that energy come from? What sparked it? What sparked that?

I can only speak for myself here, but the atheistic perspective on the beginning of the universe (I think that's the bit you're talking about) is that we don't know, but neither does Religion. We don't know from a scientific perspective because cosmology just hasn't advanced far enough, but hopefully we will one day. I would say that Religions do not *know* either, because they do not have facts to prove their points about the origin of the universe. They are unable to make predictions about the universe, e.g. the prediction of the Earth being 6,000 years old is wrong, and I don't think that there is any reason to believe them.

The list goes on and on and as I type this myself I begin to contemplate existence itself which is ultimately where religion can fill the gaps. Anyways, there is always an explanation and although religion is somewhat primitive in hinds sight, it offers somewhat of an explanation to life and why we are here.

I really do not think that Religion is able to explain anything, other than things like "Why do Jews not eat pork? Because of their religion." While I hate to trivialize Religious beliefs for fear of offense in such a manner, consider this example: You're trying to get to sleep one night, when you hear a loud bang from the other room. There are a number of conclusions you could draw from this, you could suppose that this proves that a unicorn (for which there is no evidence) just stumbled around and knocked over a plate, or that a cat (for whom there is a multitude of evidence and documentation proving not only their existence, but that there is one occupying your house) did something similar. Obviously the rational and probably correct answer is the cat, but it could have been a burglar, or something else (this representing the slight possibility that maybe Creationism *and* Evolution are wrong, the dichotomy often presented between the two is a false one).

My opinion on religious texts is that a similar situation happened in the distant past, e.g. Lightning strikes a tree, is God angry or was there a build up of static electricity in the atmosphere? Unfortunately, for the vast majority of human history we did not have access to scientific knowledge about the universe, this is like if in the previous cat example, we did not know of the existence of cats, so the unicorn being the perpetrator seemed perfectly reasonable in comparison.

Add in an unhealthy dose of tradition and fear of academic insights (at least for certain time periods/regions), and voila, Religion.