Author Topic: Post your Reenacment Kit / Military equipment  (Read 81362 times)

Offline The Mighty McLovin

• Deserves a better title than this
  • Donator
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
Re: Post your Reenacment Kit / Military equipment
« Reply #555 on: October 15, 2015, 10:23:48 pm »
Does anyone here do milsurp? I've recently gotten into collecting random military surplus from the 20th century.

I think I probably will do.. I've had dreams of getting a pickelhaube for some reason...
But it will be pretty hard doing re-enactment as well...

Offline Barnesy

• Donator
  • Heres to the bloody fighting 95th
    • View Profile
  • Nick: its_barnesy_bitches
« Reply #556 on: October 20, 2015, 11:27:42 am »
Does anyone have dimensions for British Haversacks/Breadbags whatever you want to call them?
"[15th] Colonel Cenkris: A lazy officer who didn`t contribute anything to the success of his detatchment or the regiment disposed of after displaying incredible disloyalty and attitute problems towards fellow officers"
Aww thanks Cenkris for those kind words
Ex Leader of the 15th Rifle Detachment

Offline joer5835

• Brigadier General
  • My face is tired.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Joer
  • Side: Union
« Reply #557 on: October 20, 2015, 04:21:09 pm »
As long as it is looks somewhat square, you can open it, putt stuff in it and carry it around, you should be fine.

But you really want to make one yourself? They are pretty damn cheap, around 10-20 pounds/euros.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 04:23:09 pm by joer5835 »
Polan is of dangerous to FSE
Im from Poland , a land of lawlessness

Offline Barnesy

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: October 20, 2015, 10:47:13 pm »
As long as it is looks somewhat square, you can open it, putt stuff in it and carry it around, you should be fine.

But you really want to make one yourself? They are pretty damn cheap, around 10-20 pounds/euros.

Nah don't want to make one, me and my other unit researcher are getting slightly pissed off because everyone in the unit now has different bags, we want to be somewhat uniform, last year we changed shako suppliers because looking at the unit there would be at least 4 different manufacturers of shako on parade!
The bags we currently have couldn't hold a whole day's rations let alone the 3 days that were usually taken from stores!
"[15th] Colonel Cenkris: A lazy officer who didn`t contribute anything to the success of his detatchment or the regiment disposed of after displaying incredible disloyalty and attitute problems towards fellow officers"

Offline joer5835

• Brigadier General
  • My face is tired.
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: October 20, 2015, 10:57:29 pm »

Nah don't want to make one, me and my other unit researcher are getting slightly pissed off because everyone in the unit now has different bags, we want to be somewhat uniform, last year we changed shako suppliers because looking at the unit there would be at least 4 different manufacturers of shako on parade!
The bags we currently have couldn't hold a whole day's rations let alone the 3 days that were usually taken from stores!

There's always going to be differences among members. It happens for a number of reasons, some people specifically only buy the cheapest things they can find, others want their items made a very specific way. My unit for example has gibernes from at least 3 different suppliers, heck some of our members even have English style cartridge pouches while we should have French styled ones. Most of my unit get their gear and supplies from Coopers Choice, a few from McFarthingbowl's, I personally do it completely different and order everything from Shakos GBL. And trust me, there is certainly some small differences in the way these items all look. While I agree there should be a certain level of uniformity, there's always going to be individual differences. But as long as they remain small (different bags seems acceptable to me, just as long as the basics of the uniform and gear are uniform). And whether you like it or not, it's gonna happen.

But that's just my opinion on the matter.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 10:59:15 pm by joer5835 »

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
  • Nick: FSE_Olafson
« Reply #560 on: October 20, 2015, 11:02:09 pm »
See this is what I hate about this.
Some groups just have one supplier for the stuff, and they look very uniform and nice.
I wish they would do that everywhere, because it would mean that groups actually look how they are supposed to look like.

Offline Barnesy

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: October 20, 2015, 11:02:41 pm »

There's always going to be differences among members. It happens for a number of reasons, some people specifically only buy the cheapest things they can find, others want their items made a very specific way. My unit for example has gibernes from at least 3 different suppliers, heck some of our members even have English style cartridge pouches while we should have French styled ones. Most of my unit get their gear and supplies from Coopers Choice, a few from McFarthingbowl's, I personally do it completely different and order everything from Shakos GBL. And trust me, there is certainly some small differences in the way these items all look. While I agree there should be a certain level of uniformity, there's always going to be individual differences. But as long as they remain small (different bags seems acceptable to me, just as long as the basics of the uniform and gear are uniform). And whether you like it or not, it's gonna happen.

But that's just my opinion on the matter.

True that! I don't want huge bags at all! I honestly think the units that have the massive bags of swag look ridiculous!

Offline Barnesy

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: October 20, 2015, 11:05:14 pm »
We have one main supplier now for shakos, we had a few issues the past few years so didn't have a "main" supplier until last year. But all the uniform and accroutrements come from the same people so in general we all look uniform. But for some reason we still all have completely different bread/haverbags!!

One thing that does bug me is wearing packs on the battlefield. units did it at waterloo this year. Correct me if i'm wrong, but weren't personal effects such as packs, kept back with the army's wagontrain? That's a huge bugbear of mine!

Offline joer5835

• Brigadier General
  • My face is tired.
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: October 20, 2015, 11:08:06 pm »
See this is what I hate about this.
Some groups just have one supplier for the stuff, and they look very uniform and nice.
I wish they would do that everywhere, because it would mean that groups actually look how they are supposed to look like.

It would be better, I agree, don't get me wrong. But it is very hard to actually make it happen, and I think hammering people on what I think they should do constantly isn't gonna create a nice environment within a unit. As long as everyone has about the same gear, but from different suppliers and with slight difference in it, I can accept it.