Author Topic: Writing a book  (Read 14080 times)

Offline KillerMongoose

• Major
  • "And I believe I have cut your throat"- Fiore
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Wryngwyrm
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Writing a book
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2012, 04:51:34 pm »
I'd love to see short stories or snippets from people's stories they're writing, they all sound really cool

Offline James Grant

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2012, 05:08:21 pm »
I've long considered writing a book,I'd probably do one about my Great great great Grandfather who was an officer in the Frontier Light Horse. Just need to get those diary copies from the chap down south!

Offline KillerMongoose

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2013, 04:17:03 pm »
Started writing my book again last night, got a nice scene of a French ambush on Austrian jaegers, but have they really defeated the whole enemy yet? Hmm...

Offline KillerMongoose

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2013, 03:21:21 pm »
The book is going pretty nicely, got some good scenes, maybe I'll give you guys some sneak peaks!

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2013, 04:19:26 pm »
The book is going pretty nicely, got some good scenes, maybe I'll give you guys some sneak peaks!

YESYESYES

Offline Ililsa

• Major
  • This knife of Sheffield steel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Retired_Ililsa
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2013, 05:55:05 pm »
I'm planning on redoing some of my own stuff, which I might share if I feel it's good enough
Crawling back to you,
Ever thought of calling when you've had a few? 'cause I always do.
FUCKING MEDIEVAL HIPSTERS

Offline Justo

• Volunteer
  • 3e Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2013, 08:36:12 pm »

I intend to finish it, but it was pretty dry the first couple chapters, so I am reading a few other books first.

Also, OP, how's the book coming

Offline TWking

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2013, 10:18:09 pm »
I wrote a popup book in school for D&T.
It was about the Old guard at Waterloo for kids(your probably saying "how on earth do you write something Napoleonic for kids")
I have the worst handwriting, drawing and colouring in the world.
It was terrible. Absolutely terrible.
Spoiler

[close]

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2013, 10:26:19 pm »
I've been planning on writing a Gettysburg-style book on Quatre-bras/Waterloo, mostly from NL point of view. Haven't passed planning, though.

Offline Jocam

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2013, 01:17:30 pm »
Hmm, about a year back, I started a fictional napoleonic era book. Nearly no historical accurate details, for it isn't set in existing countries, though pretty fun to write, and I hope, pretty fun to read too.

A woman tries to get into the army (insert duuring complaint here =D), but gets denied a shitload of times.
Because she is skilled with the rifle, she gets recruited by he captain if the famous marksmen company (I know, marksmen?).
of the even more famous 15th Wolfpack line infantry army.

I could get some bits to share, though i would need to find a way (unless i just post it here =D)

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2013, 01:20:33 pm »
Hmm, about a year back, I started a fictional napoleonic era book. Nearly no historical accurate details, for it isn't set in existing countries, though pretty fun to write, and I hope, pretty fun to read too.

A woman tries to get into the army (insert duuring complaint here =D), but gets denied a shitload of times.
Because she is skilled with the rifle, she gets recruited by he captain if the famous marksmen company (I know, marksmen?).

I could get some bits to share, though i would need to find a way (unless i just post it here =D)

Women often tried and even succeeded in joining the army. There are multiple cases of Prussian ladies, but I'm quite sure there are many more un-discovered ones.

Offline Jocam

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2013, 01:41:44 pm »
Spoiler

Women often tried and even succeeded in joining the army. There are multiple cases of Prussian ladies, but I'm quite sure there are many more un-discovered ones.
[close]

Hmmm, ladies, you say? In the meaning of nobles, or common folks, and, would either of them just join the ranks, or are there records of female officers?

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2013, 02:08:37 pm »
There is a record of a female hussar Officer in the Russian army. The Cavarly maiden or something. Bluehawk presumably knows all about her.

Those prussian females were common folks, and I presume most female 'recruits' were. There are no exact numbers, and I don't think there ever will be.

Offline Jocam

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2013, 02:16:37 pm »
Alright, thanks

Offline Archduke Sven

• Brigadier General
  • I have over 1000 warning points, be careful.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: regimentless sven
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2013, 02:50:57 pm »
I wrote a novel about a Lieutenant in the Pavlograd Hussars who finds out about the French Invasion of 1812 with the help of his Polish-Russian friend in the GDC Uhlans. It was really fun writing about them chasing Major Gilles ( a spy ) around in the Ukraine and Lithuania until the final showdown between Major Gilles and his Cuirrasiers vs. Aleksey Kosyak and his hussars.

I'm still waiting for my grade though...  ::)

told that bih don't @ me