Author Topic: Austria In The Napoleonic Wars  (Read 8868 times)

Offline kpetschulat

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Petschie
  • Side: Union
Re: Austria In The Napoleonic Wars
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2013, 01:44:47 am »
As proven by this, Austrian history has been buried and forgotten, despite the fact the Austria helped forged what is now Europe, and heavily influenced the 7 Years War, Napoleonic Wars and many others. On the subject of NW, almost nobody is interested in joining an Austrian regiment, making recruiting very hard. But if they found out the truth about the Austrians during this time, they would most certainly be hooked.
I'm telling you, it's because of the uniforms. In real life, the white looked pretty fucking cool, but in NW they look like fucking clowns, and it really takes away any attractiveness that they could have had. I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that FSE spent the least amount of time on the Austrian uniforms, and it really shows in game.

I'm going to have to agree with this. The white is too white. The white on Austrian uniforms was more of a really light grey.

Offline Nipplestockings

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2013, 02:02:14 am »
Commencing dump of swaggin austrian soldiers because hey, fuck my life.
Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]

Offline Hekko

• Captain
  • I host stuff
    • View Profile
    • 15e Website
  • Nick: Nr24_Gren_Hptm_Hekko
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2013, 02:32:07 am »
Can't comment too much on the quality of the austrian army other than the fact that as others have mentioned the language & cultural barrier was a rather large millstone around it's neck. However, on a grander scale I feel that fact that Austria constantly conjoured up new armies against Napoleon was the key to bringing him down.

Offline Pinball Wizard

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2013, 02:56:37 am »
I wish they had included landwehr into the game. They're my favorite.

Offline kpetschulat

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Petschie
  • Side: Union
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2013, 03:05:47 am »
I wish they had included landwehr into the game. They're my favorite.

Yeah, the Austrian Landwehr Militia look pretty bad ass.

Offline Rogov

• Second Lieutenant
  • Moose are cool.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 19te_Hsr_Ofr_Rogov
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2013, 04:35:18 am »
If anyone wants a bunch of info on the Austrian Army in general (and also on it's infantry, cavalry, and artillery arms), I recommend checking out this site: http://napoleonistyka.atspace.com/ (scroll down to Allied Armies).

Of the continental allies, Austria was considered to have the best artillery, albeit it still could not compare to that of the French. While her cavalry consisted of some of Europe's finest horsemen, they failed to operate effectively en masse as their French counterparts did. The core of the infantry were German conscripts, but also included Hungarians (as well as Serbians, Croatians, and Transylvanians) who were renowned for their fighting spirit.

Overall, the quality of the soldiers themselves ranged from decent to superb, but innovation in training and tactics was stagnant and the army in general was in a state of confusion following the wars of the first and second coalitions. The Austrian military was stuck in the past and severely handicapped in logistical, organizational, tactical, and strategic terms compared to the rapidly modernizing French, and of course the empire's cultural diversity (and resulting language barriers) did not improve matters.

Much of the above is me paraphrasing Osprey's Armies of the Napoleonic Wars: An Illustrated History. Ed. Chris McNab. A fairly comprehensive examination of the organization, tactics, equipment, and much more, of the major Napoleonic armies (France, Britain, Austria, Russia, Prussia, Spain, Portugal, and a section on the minor participants), laden with Osprey's characteristic phenomenal illustrations. Highly recommended! ;D
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 06:45:15 am by Rogov »