Author Topic: Favourite Napoleonic Wars (and War of 1812) Regiment?  (Read 20953 times)

Offline Bluehawk

• Sergeant Major
  • чекмень - шаровары - шашка
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Favourite Napoleonic Wars (and War of 1812) Regiment?
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2012, 12:20:05 pm »
Not necessarily my favourite, but the most successful Russian cavalry unit was probably the St. Petersburg Dragoons, who captured four French colours which is more than any other regiment in the Russian Army: from the 11th Dragoon Regiment at Raussnitz in 1805; from the 18th Line Infantry Regiment "the Braves" before Eylau in 1807; from the 44th Line Infantry Regiment during Eylau the next day; and from the 14th Cuirassier regiment (2nd Dutch Cuirassiers) at Berezina in 1812.

And they accomplished all of this and struck fear into Les Braves and their comrades while wearing rose facings. In 1808 they were honoured with new "Order of St. George" banners and in 1814 with "for distinction" plates added to their helmets. In 1827 they became an uhlan regiment.

Spoiler

Nothing special to look at.
[close]

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2012, 03:27:43 pm »
Not necessarily my favourite, but the most successful Russian cavalry unit was probably the St. Petersburg Dragoons, who captured four French colours which is more than any other regiment in the Russian Army: from the 11th Dragoon Regiment at Raussnitz in 1805; from the 18th Line Infantry Regiment "the Braves" before Eylau in 1807; from the 44th Line Infantry Regiment during Eylau the next day; and from the 14th Cuirassier regiment (2nd Dutch Cuirassiers) at Berezina in 1812.

And they accomplished all of this and struck fear into Les Braves and their comrades while wearing rose facings.

Rose? Pink?

And sorry, but it's not that difficult to steal an eagle from a regiment of unhorsed and hungry regiment of Dutchmen . I think, personally, they sold the thing. Can't be anything more Dutch than that, really.

Spoiler
Off course, I'm joking here :P Still, never heard before that the 14th cuirassiers lost their eagle. I'd LOVE to read some stuff on that
[close]

Offline KillerMongoose

• Major
  • "And I believe I have cut your throat"- Fiore
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Wryngwyrm
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2012, 03:38:07 pm »
I think, personally, they sold the thing. Can't be anything more Dutch than that, really.
Heheh, this just made me giggle and I looked retarded because I'm sitting in the middle of my programming class hahahah

Maybe if they sold the colors in exchange for their food and horses heheh  ;D

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2012, 04:13:03 pm »
I think, personally, they sold the thing. Can't be anything more Dutch than that, really.
Heheh, this just made me giggle and I looked retarded because I'm sitting in the middle of my programming class hahahah

Maybe if they sold the colors in exchange for their food and horses heheh  ;D

Nah. Money.

In WWI, Dutch merchants sold so much food to people and other countries, that we actually ran short of it ourselves. Some people actually sold their backyard vegetables for a small fortune, but as there was nothing to buy, they went hungry. According to legend some people even ate the money  :P (But that's really...just a legend)

Offline Bluehawk

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2012, 04:44:31 pm »
http://www.tentpegging.nl/kurassiers/index.php#The_14th

According to this... dutch reenacting society's?.. website, the 14eme conducted a delaying action by attacking the Russian cavalry head-on, at Berezina, to cover the rest of the army's retreat across the river. So, they apparently had horses and didn't get massacred in a completely helpless scenario. The site is associated with De Nederlandse Vereniging voor Bereden Wapenvaardigheid 'Saint Georges', if that means anything to you. A bibliography would be nice though.

Offline KillerMongoose

• Major
  • "And I believe I have cut your throat"- Fiore
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Wryngwyrm
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2012, 04:47:09 pm »
One of my favorites, Regiment Huzaren Nr. 8

Some history
During the Battle of Waterloo, after the Union Brigade over-extended themselves and Napoleon's lancers went about butchering the British cavalrymen, Major-General Ghigny acted on his own initiative and sent his brigade forth to counterattack the lancers and cover the British cavalrymen's escape (something the British 7th Hussars actually REFUSED to do when ordered by Uxbridge because they were afraid of the lancers! With the 8ste Huzaren in front, followed up by the 4de Licht Dragonders, Ghigny's Brigade smashed into the lancers head on. Witnesses describe the 8ste Huzaren as "fighting with insane gallantry" in fact an ancestor of mine served in the 8ste Huzaren and he has a little story that has been passed down through my family for years. During the cavalry melee he was struck in the belly by a lance and when the lancer withdrew his lance and raised it for the deathblow, my ancestor (his last name we believe was Beaupry) grabbed the lance and tore it from the lancer's hands and smashed it across his head then thrust the broken end into his throat. Ghigny's Brigade pursued the French lancers until they took shelter near a large infantry square. By the end of the battle the 8ste Huzaren had taken 60% casualties but their gallantry and courage had been proved beyond doubt.
[close]

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2012, 04:49:34 pm »
So did the entire 12th (Dutch) Division, which basically stopped existed after Berezina. Not sure what happend EXACTLY at Berazina, but it's possible to advanced and 'charged' on foot. So, I'm not saying at all, that it didn't happen, just saying I find it somewhat odd. The three Dutch infantry regiments had burned their eagle long before Berezina.

That re-enactment group, by the way, doesn't exist anymore. According to same re-enactment veterans 'One moment they were there, in full uniform...and the next moment, they are never seen again".
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 04:51:20 pm by Duuring »

Offline Prince_Eugen

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 19th_Fus_Prince_Eugen
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2012, 07:03:55 pm »
Hmm, i found interesting news today: Semenovskiy and Preobrazhenskiy Guard regiments will be ressurected in Russia :)

Offline Friedrich

• Donator
  • 84e. Est. 2010. Official Non-Regiment Hopper.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Friedrich
  • Side: Union
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2012, 11:27:04 am »
Hmm, i found interesting news today: Semenovskiy and Preobrazhenskiy Guard regiments will be ressurected in Russia :)
And Putin will be proclaimed as Tsar next! XD

Offline Prince_Eugen

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 19th_Fus_Prince_Eugen
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2012, 01:52:36 pm »
And Putin will be proclaimed as Tsar next! XD
One day, Friedrich, one day xD

Offline Bluehawk

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2012, 03:23:57 pm »
And then when Medvedev finds himself out in the cold, he will become False Dmitri IV, and use Putin's lack of a son as a claim to the throne.  ;)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 07:27:19 pm by Bluehawk »

Offline Pinkknight

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2012, 12:25:29 am »
And then when Medvedev finds himself out in the cold, he will become False Dmitri III, and use Putin's lack of a son as a claim to the throne.  ;)

Off Topic: Bluehawk, since you seem to have one of the widest range of historical website sources etc, could you get something about Sweden during this era and through out the Nap. warsand just PM it to me? :D

On Topic: I must say, I1, Svea Livgarde is my favorite uniform during the Napoleonic wars
Spoiler
[close]
+ it was one of  the elite regiments of Sweden. Still exsist today, and has been for 500 years.
and this Swedish Sappeur uniform:
Spoiler
[close]

Offline von_Steuben

• Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2012, 11:01:45 pm »
the brave 1te Garde-Regiment zu Fuß  and Silesian Jäger's