Author Topic: Dark Ages and Medieval Reenacting Thread (Metalhead united)  (Read 16156 times)

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Riddlez
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Medieval Reenacting Thread
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2014, 11:14:25 pm »
new stuff - shiny as balls, it'll age over time. But i'm sure the men back then did clean 'em but still doubting it would be that shiny as balls for awhile.

Where they capable of making the metal such like a mirror? or is that modern smithing at work?
I was generally under the impression they never got them THAT shiny?

EDIT: or that they were able to, but just didn't bother with it for regulars.
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline Ililsa

• Major
  • This knife of Sheffield steel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Retired_Ililsa
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2014, 11:43:46 pm »
Looks pretty tall, not that that's necessarily bad, just a matter of taste.

Just seems pricey to me. You might find a good range here: http://www.kultofathena.com/helmets.asp
The makers are listed, so you can check if they're any good, but I'd say the only things to be too concerned about are - what's the steel thickness, are they badly riveted?

There's a couple of GDFB helms there, which are what a lot of ours are, and they're pretty good, they hold up to our treatment of stuff, anyway. I wouldn't recommend anything that isn't made from steel by them though, it's mostly cotton crap, so anyone that overuses GDFB is gonna stand out a mile. A couple of our guys have boots by them and they fall apart pretty easily.

Cleaning: Scrub rust off if it forms, I'd recommend a plastic or cotton scouring pad, try and keep an oily layer over your helmet after you've handled it, though, and rust shouldn't be an issue. I use WD-40 for pretty much any cleaning needs, but you can use other oils.

Crawling back to you,
Ever thought of calling when you've had a few? 'cause I always do.
FUCKING MEDIEVAL HIPSTERS

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • This blamed fight aint got a rear
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2014, 12:07:40 am »
Found one spangenhelm by GDFB, reasonable price as well. I will add padding later myself. I think i shall buy this. :D

Offline Ililsa

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2014, 12:50:38 am »
Hope it's good.

Also some advice for maille, when people get it (I'm looking into getting mine sometime next year, probably)

Flat ring is lighter, but tends to be more expensive as far as I can tell, it looks less like maille should when you're up close, as well.
Round ring is heavier, but it's generally accepted as more authentic, especially earlier on.

Rings riveted together are just far better generally than butted rings. As far as I know, they're more historical as well.

Personally I'm going to be looking into flat-riveted stuff for my hauberk and coif, which I'm gonna try and integrate into one, and round riveted for my chausses in a few years time. Flat rings just cut the leather suspenders apart.

Crawling back to you,

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2014, 01:13:15 am »
Can you tell me why the difference in maille? Like  Long sleeve, short sleeve, and sleeveless? Do they represent rank or preference?  Me personally like the long sleeved one and are they suppose to be ridiclous in hip size? Saw one dude selling on ebay for size 46 chest but hips measure at 47. 

Offline Ililsa

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2014, 02:12:18 am »
There'll be some representation of rank because it'd cost more for long sleeves, but now it's just preference, and if it's a bit rich for your impression just say it was looted.

No idea about hip size, but that could be intentional. Hauberks tend to sit pretty straight when you aren't wearing them with a belt, like the figure in the background of this picture.

Spoiler
[close]

You'd probably want to look at something shorter though, probably some sort of byrnie.
Although I have no idea how long viking and saxon maille got, so a hauberk could be the right length. Also helps to have some protection for your thighs.
Crawling back to you,

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2014, 04:25:14 am »
Did some bit general research on maille around the vendors.  Shipping are pretty hefty on those. Nearly doubling the price.

But I somehow got the feeling I may be able to find one in person or maybe someone in the group makes 'em 

Offline Captain America

• Second Lieutenant
  • One realm, one God, one King!
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2014, 08:52:41 am »
There's a medieval reenactment society at my uni, joining the moment freshers starts, need me some feudal lovin'

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2014, 11:46:15 pm »
There's a medieval reenactment society at my uni, joining the moment freshers starts, need me some feudal lovin'

Another one in the club!

Offline Killington

• Major General
  • Everyone's favourite
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2014, 12:45:06 am »
I went to Medieval Times today, what do you medieval reenactors think of it?
In theory we could do huge player numbers far over 500 players per server...  As such we will surely keep our promise to deliver you the 500 players per server.

We will probably go (far) over it, but that's for later.

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2014, 04:56:15 am »
Medieval Times? Probably cheesy for others but for me personally, I fucking love it. Been going since i was a wee lad, fucking love the chicken and jousting. 

But for historical or authenticity, i have no idea. I honestly am only stepping into the Viking age and studying as a new kid on the block. I'm gonna leave that to Illisa or George however I don't know if the Medieval Times Amusement are in Europe or Australia.

Offline EdwardC

• Donator
  • Cyberbullying + Memes = FSE Forums
    • View Profile
    • 9th East Norfolk
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2014, 05:07:35 am »
Y'all need some Enlightenment

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2014, 05:39:11 am »
You keep that Christianity away from me.

Offline George385

• Donator
  • nah yeah nah nah yeah nah
    • View Profile
  • Nick: George385
« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2014, 06:00:07 am »
Medieval Times? Probably cheesy for others but for me personally, I fucking love it. Been going since i was a wee lad, fucking love the chicken and jousting. 

But for historical or authenticity, i have no idea. I honestly am only stepping into the Viking age and studying as a new kid on the block. I'm gonna leave that to Illisa or George however I don't know if the Medieval Times Amusement are in Europe or Australia.

Umm, we dont have it here, but i just looked it up and my answer is no its not authentic :P

Offline EdwardC

• Donator
  • Cyberbullying + Memes = FSE Forums
    • View Profile
    • 9th East Norfolk
« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2014, 06:19:32 am »
You keep that Christianity away from me.

Funny thing is am not Christian.