Author Topic: The Star Wars Thread  (Read 108459 times)

Offline Fartknocker

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Fartknocker
  • Side: Neutral
Re: The Star Wars Thread
« Reply #705 on: September 10, 2019, 07:12:38 am »
The Mandalorian is gonna be a masterpiece. I have faith in Jon Favreau.

Rogue One was fantastic IMO. Also has probably the best scene in any Star Wars film:

63e pawn in an anti-63e world.

Offline Stroke0fd34th

• Major General
  • Luck is for people who are too lazy to train
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Godfreid
« Reply #706 on: September 10, 2019, 03:34:06 pm »
Yeah, but it can't really hurt anything. Either we get an epic old republic movie or we don't. But ide rather it be given a chance then just dropped. I mean, why not right? And Disney spent way to much money to just stop. And at the very least we will get some epic scenes.

And honestly, as a huge star wars fan I don't want them to stop. If they stopped, what space epics would I have to look forward to? Star Trek??? And yes I can't stand the way Disney has treated the skywalker saga and the b.s they have said. But I've never understood fans of something that just don't want more of it. Like, if you don't like the new stuff don't watch it I guess. But the chance of something great coming out is worth the b.s to me.

No, either we can an epic old republic movie or they turn one of the best, most fascinating eras in Star Wars into a dumpster fire and call us all man-babies when we criticize and don't go to watch the next movie. Given their current track record, the risk just doesn't seem worth the reward anymore.

I'll tell you why I don't want more of it, and it's because I want quality, not quantity. Pumping out a new star wars movie every year and a half that's filled with nothing but Marvel movie type humor, a disregard for lore and a disrespect to Characters, isn't good, and it's not something to look forward to or want more of. Disney views Star Wars as a cash cow to push their agenda in and their movies reflect it. I would want more movies if Disney had shown they had the capacity to produce a quality Star Wars movie, but so far they haven't.

Rogue One was fantastic IMO. Also has probably the best scene in any Star Wars film:

The Mandalorian has potential.

Rogue One was not fantastic, it was just better than the Force Awakens. It's like 6/10 standing next to a 2/10. Comparatively it's a huge upgrade, but by itself it's just ok.

Calling that scene the best scene in any Star Wars film has to be a troll. It was just fan service, it doesn't come close measuring up to the iconic scenes in the Original Trilogy or even Prequel Trilogy. It was still my favorite scene in that movie though.

Give me my goddamn Malgus trilogy. Barely anybody remembers the fucker and there is plenty of shit they can fill in with an artistic license.

A Malgus trilogy could be good, but I'd have serious doubts to its quality if handled by Disney.

Offline ShintoSkookum

• Colonel
  • i am coolest dude nw my mom said so
    • View Profile
  • Nick: shinto (awesome)
« Reply #707 on: September 10, 2019, 03:51:33 pm »
vette trilogy when

Offline Fartknocker

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: September 10, 2019, 06:09:52 pm »
I’ll defend Rogue One here. The action sequences were easily some of the best in all of Star Wars. It made you feel like a part of the action in the theater tbh. It’s basically a Star Wars war movie and that’s exactly what I wanted from it. Also that Vader scene was spectacular whether it was fan service or not. I’ve always wanted to see Vader absolutely destroy people like the evil badass character he is and that’s finally what we got. That scene was done so well. The lightsaber lighting up the hallway, the desperation of the rebels, the hopelessness setting in, and then the last guy giving up the plans. That shit was awesome. Had my jaw on the floor in the theater.

Offline Furrnox

• Lieutenant General
  • Eternally incorrect, centre-left, asshole.
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: September 10, 2019, 08:08:55 pm »

Rogue One was not fantastic, it was just better than the Force Awakens. It's like 6/10 standing next to a 2/10. Comparatively it's a huge upgrade, but by itself it's just ok.

Calling that scene the best scene in any Star Wars film has to be a troll. It was just fan service, it doesn't come close measuring up to the iconic scenes in the Original Trilogy or even Prequel Trilogy. It was still my favorite scene in that movie though.

The prequels? Episode I & II are a fucking joke.

Offline fruitocino

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • 18e SgtMaj
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: September 10, 2019, 09:54:15 pm »
There are a couple of things I liked about the first two Episodes. Tbh Episode I really was an odd movie, with the pod racing plot taking up so much time of the film. I did enjoy the race itself (especially back in the day) and of course the fight with Darth Maul. I actually liked how they set up the story for the next movies with the trade federation being a puppet and Chancellor Valorum getting voted off in favor of Palpatine.
And Episode II had Obi-Wan discovering the clone army, an awful but incredibly quotable romance and count dooku and his sailing spaceship, what's not to like about that  ;D
Spoiler
[close]

Offline Stroke0fd34th

• Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: September 10, 2019, 11:24:54 pm »

The prequels? Episode I & II are a fucking joke.

Yeah, I think you missed the point. I'm not saying Episode I and II are good. But even in Episode II, the Arena scene, and the duels are better than just Vader hacking down some rebels at the end of Rogue One. Duel of the Fates is also far Superior, the Vader scene is roughly equivalent to the duel between Qui-Gon and Maul on Tatooine.

I’ll defend Rogue One here. The action sequences were easily some of the best in all of Star Wars. It made you feel like a part of the action in the theater tbh. It’s basically a Star Wars war movie and that’s exactly what I wanted from it. Also that Vader scene was spectacular whether it was fan service or not. I’ve always wanted to see Vader absolutely destroy people like the evil badass character he is and that’s finally what we got. That scene was done so well. The lightsaber lighting up the hallway, the desperation of the rebels, the hopelessness setting in, and then the last guy giving up the plans. That shit was awesome. Had my jaw on the floor in the theater.

It's not a Star Wars war movie, it's a Star Wars suicide squad movie, and it's alright. Yes, the scene with Vader was fun to watch, I didn't say otherwise, but saying it's "...probably the best scene in any Star Wars film" is a huge no from me dawg. Not even close to that good.

It's also undercut by the fact that you know the rebels are going to get the plans away from him, so it just looks like Vader failed, and furthermore it sets up that The Tantive IV was at that Battle, which no it wasn't and just shits on the dialogue between Vader and Leia in Episode 4 where she claims to be part of a diplomatic mission. Like, she's not going to have that plausible deniability if she was at the Battle and Vader wouldn't claim to have intercepted transmissions to her ship, he would just say "I watched your ship fly away literally right in front of me". It was just an excuse to give CGI Leia some face time.

A couple cool scenes couldn't carry Ep I & II, and they can't carry Rogue One.

If you're talking purely in terms of acting and atmosphere, then yes, great scene. Aside from those two things, a fun fan service scene.

Offline Sgt.Winters

• Captain
  • Wut
    • View Profile
  • Nick: look at me
  • Side: Union
« Reply #712 on: September 10, 2019, 11:45:16 pm »
I know we will probably never get it, but a Delta Squad spinoff/film would be nice.

Offline Marceaux

• Donator
  • Je suis immortel.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 1er_Capitaine_Marceaux
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #713 on: September 10, 2019, 11:52:38 pm »
What's wrong with fan service? You complain that Disney talks shit about their real star wars fans. Then it's a problem when they service the real fans with something hardcore.

And I agree it is one of the best scenes in all of star wars. That scene gives us a look at why Darth Vader was supposed to be so terrifying. Its the only time we really get to see Vader be so menacing and it is absolutely awesome. The whole scene is just amazing from start to finish.

And unpopular opinion, but I think episode 1 was great. Maybe not from a critical/technical standpoint. But when I saw it in theaters as a kid it was amazing to me. And to this day its one of my favorite star wars movies (still hate jarjar).

Offline Fartknocker

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: September 11, 2019, 01:12:55 am »
Godfreid is just a Disney hater smh.

For real tho, the live-action Star Wars shows are what I’m most excited about. Ewan back as Obi-Wan for a whole show is awesome.

Offline BabyJesus

• General
  • #1 Cringe poster and lover of Anna Kendrick
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Most Average MVP of All Time
  • Side: Union
« Reply #715 on: September 11, 2019, 01:53:46 am »
Quigon and obiwan be maulvis an amazing scene
1st NWPC S2(21st)|(1st) 5v5 Draft~NA GroupFighting Tournament  |1st♕Rex's 6v6 Tournament | 1st TNWL S2(71st) | 1st NWL S5 (58e) | 3rd place Sleeks 5v5 (Highschoole DxD)
You are by far the best average player to touch this game.
Quote from: Risk
The BEST average player of all time

Offline Gibby Jr

• Colonel
  • DAGOTHWAVE
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Gibby
« Reply #716 on: September 11, 2019, 02:58:07 am »
my reaction to all the people praising disney star wars:

Spoiler
[close]

godfreid speaks big truth. almost all of what they have produced has either been sub-par or outright trash. rogue one was decent, as in it's the only one i didn't feel disappointed after seeing, and had a few good moments, but the new trilogy arc is one of the worst things i've ever witnessed on screen. i'm sat there cringing for the entire length of the film because of the terrible writing and brutal character assassinations being done to make room for mary sue herself and the rest of the uninteresting and boring new cast. literally what is even going on in the galaxy in this trilogy? in the original trilogy it's simple, empire rules basically everything and the rebellion opposes them. in the prequels it's pretty simple, first the republic control basically everything and then the separatists start a galactic civil war. in the new trilogy there's meant to be a new republic or something that they mentioned? but at the same time this republic is nowhere to be seen and the empire basically still exists as the first order? why are they the "resistance" if there's meant to be a whole republic that would be opposed to the first order? the films are so poorly thought out, incoherent and stupid that i can't understand why anybody has any faith in disney star wars at this point.

the prequels may have failed in many places, like creating a compelling anakin to make the fall to the dark side meaningful, but at least they were logically consistent within the star wars universe and the events made sense following on from each other. despite this being the absolute basic level that a trilogy needs to meet, the new films have failed to hit even that bar. the prequels films are also enjoyable to watch because of the action and because we know what it leads to and seeing that journey is interesting by those merits alone.

the mandalorian looks like it could be good and maybe the new kenobi series will be too, but you're foolish to hold out hope on these things being good after the trash we've been served so far.
you are as weak as whales by acting like that.

Offline ZeroNight

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: September 11, 2019, 03:40:33 am »
the mandalorian looks like it could be good and maybe the new kenobi series will be too, but you're foolish to hold out hope on these things being good after the trash we've been served so far.
Leo1032: Immer diese Menschen
Habe ich eigentlich schon mal erwähnt das es nichts gibt was retardeter ist als deutsche Regimenter in diesem Spiel - Link2luke 2k16
I'm 6'4 and play Tennis 4 times a week. Also have been doing a lot of MMA (about 5 times a week) and a bit of kickboxing for years. From time to time (twice a week) I go to the gym, more often during vacation. So add me or get kicked, u weak bastard.

Offline Fartknocker

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: September 11, 2019, 04:13:10 am »
Kathleen Kennedy is the reason for so many Star Wars projects being shit. Firing directors left and right was a big problem.

The Mandalorian has a great cast. Pedro Pascal will kill it as usual. Written by Jon Favreau and George Lucas. Dave Filoni is an executive producer along with Favreau. Taika Waititi is gonna voice a character AND direct an episode. They have an insane budget because of Disney. I just don't see how this show can flop.

Offline Stroke0fd34th

• Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: September 11, 2019, 11:28:30 am »
What's wrong with fan service? You complain that Disney talks shit about their real star wars fans. Then it's a problem when they service the real fans with something hardcore.

And I agree it is one of the best scenes in all of star wars. That scene gives us a look at why Darth Vader was supposed to be so terrifying. Its the only time we really get to see Vader be so menacing and it is absolutely awesome. The whole scene is just amazing from start to finish.

And unpopular opinion, but I think episode 1 was great. Maybe not from a critical/technical standpoint. But when I saw it in theaters as a kid it was amazing to me. And to this day its one of my favorite star wars movies (still hate jarjar).

Point out where I said there's something wrong with having fan service. Then we'll continue that conversation.

It's not one of the best scenes in all of Star Wars unless you're talking about atmosphere and acting, in which case you could maybe have a case.

Episode I wasn't bad, just not great due to a few critical flaws.

Godfreid is just a Disney hater smh.

For real tho, the live-action Star Wars shows are what I’m most excited about. Ewan back as Obi-Wan for a whole show is awesome.

No, I just refuse to give movies a pass based on 1-2 enjoyable scenes when the vast majority of it (in Solo and Rogue One) is easily forgettable, or in the NT's case, straight disrespectful garbage.

Kathleen Kennedy is the reason for so many Star Wars projects being shit. Firing directors left and right was a big problem.

The Mandalorian has a great cast. Pedro Pascal will kill it as usual. Written by Jon Favreau and George Lucas. Dave Filoni is an executive producer along with Favreau. Taika Waititi is gonna voice a character AND direct an episode. They have an insane budget because of Disney. I just don't see how this show can flop.

In theory, it shouldn't. It should be amazing, as long as they aren't too soft with it.