Author Topic: The Star Wars Thread  (Read 107885 times)

Offline junedragon

• Colonel
  • Nr2, 29th, PLG, 63e, Team Canada, 4eme
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
Re: The Star Wars Thread
« Reply #585 on: June 19, 2018, 11:22:55 am »
Havent seen Solo but for me its:
bonus non movie star wars content: KOTOR, Thrawn Trilogy (novels)
1) Empire Strikes Back
2) A New Hope
3) Return of the Jedi
bonus 3.5: Clone Wars tv series
4) Revenge of the Sith
5) Rogue One
6) Farce Awakens
7) Phantom Menace
8) The Holiday Special
9) Robot Chicken Star Wars
10) Family Guy Star Wars
11) The Last Jedi
12) Attack of the Clones

« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 11:25:06 am by junedragon »
Why am I still here

Offline Piercee

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • SOUTH AFRICAN WAR DOG - NWWC 2019 WINNER
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #586 on: June 19, 2018, 03:49:50 pm »
I pretty much agree with that list but I still think The Last Jedi is worse than attack of the clones

Offline Marceaux

• Donator
  • Je suis immortel.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 1er_Capitaine_Marceaux
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #587 on: June 19, 2018, 06:02:13 pm »
I am honestly sad that so many of you seem to write solo off. I genuinely enjoyed the movie, and its honestly a VERY solid star wars film despite its bad reception! Give it a chance and try not to compare to the others and i bet you'll enjoy it. :)

Offline ShintoSkookum

• Colonel
  • i am coolest dude nw my mom said so
    • View Profile
  • Nick: shinto (awesome)
« Reply #588 on: June 19, 2018, 06:07:40 pm »
vette spinoff

Offline McPero

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • 17e 5-4 92nd
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: June 19, 2018, 06:39:45 pm »
Darth Maul is one of the only redeeming qualities of that movie but many scenes are really boring with Young Anakin, genuinly not intrueing. They feel slow and just don't stick to you, most kid actors are hated anyways because they can't live up to a previously established character, mostly that is.
I think that Darth Maul got way more action and respect in the Clone Wars series, especially with the interactions he has with his brother.
Darth Maul is the worst thing about the movie. The movie was titled after him yet he spoke 5 words in entire film had no backstory nothing. He only looked 'cool'. I agree that a big part of the movie was boring (sand planet). But political plot with trade federation and corrupt senate was really good and it makes it second best Star Wars movie (first being Revange of the Sith). Political plot is also the reason why 1-3 are better than 4-6 which have a cheesy fairy-tale like story (Yoda scenes are great though). Also I suspect that fans contributed to 2 and 3 movie not riching the full potential because they hated Jar Jar Binks who was probably set up to be Sith Lord which would be pretty one of the best plottwist of all times, if only Geroge wouldnt back down.

For me:
1. Revange of the Sith
2. Phanthom Menace
3. Clone Wars
4. Rogue One
5. Empire Strikes Back
6. Return if the Jedi
7. New Hope
Disney garbage:
8. Social Justice Warrior Awakens
9. The Last Social Justice Warrior
Didnt watch solo. Series not included aa they provide some nice background but they are really made for children.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 06:45:29 pm by McPero »

Offline William

• Major General
  • What doth life?
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel where I upload NW and M&B
  • Nick: CluelessWill
« Reply #590 on: June 19, 2018, 08:39:36 pm »
That is an interesting list! But I do agree, Prequels had a better story but it just wasn't executed very well. Game of Thrones has done a great job of showing political espionage and it's a shame star wars didn't devote more to that on screen. The Clone Wars is a good source of canon though and Dave Filoni deserves infinite praise for the work he did.
Check out my YT channel where I post NW www.youtube. com/c/CluelessWill
Spoiler
god damn, Anthony is smart, he was able to get the shit AEF to tie with the best reg in the game. The tactical geniusness needed to pull off such a feat is insane. He's the Erwin Rommel of NW.
i always get an erection when i check my subscrptions and see that phresh cluelesswill vid
It won't be FSE developing it, so it will come out!
[close]

Offline Sgt.Winters

• Captain
  • Wut
    • View Profile
  • Nick: look at me
« Reply #591 on: June 19, 2018, 09:31:56 pm »
Something Something Something Dark Side is best

Offline Piercee

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • SOUTH AFRICAN WAR DOG - NWWC 2019 WINNER
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: June 19, 2018, 09:41:55 pm »
The backstory of Darth Maul was further described in the clone wars, that's why the movie seems to be redeeming itself slightly after you realise the amount stuff he's done prior to being cut down in the Phantom Menace.
There's enough to read or watch nowadays to figure out his backstory anyways if you care, look at his interactions with the mandalorians for some interesting stories for example.

Offline McPero

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • 17e 5-4 92nd
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: June 24, 2018, 01:49:51 am »
The backstory of Darth Maul was further described in the clone wars, that's why the movie seems to be redeeming itself slightly after you realise the amount stuff he's done prior to being cut down in the Phantom Menace.
There's enough to read or watch nowadays to figure out his backstory anyways if you care, look at his interactions with the mandalorians for some interesting stories for example.
Phanthom Menace gave ni reason for Maul love yet he got it. The back story he gets is after kids really liked him.

Offline StevenChilton

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: June 24, 2018, 01:57:55 am »
Solo will probably lose Disney just over $50 million, which is a bit less than expected. Relatively minor for them financially but it's a pretty big symbolic defeat.

Also it may be that Rian Johnson gets his trilogy scrapped (deservedly) while the Obi-Wan spin-off has been halted:
https://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/films/977763/Star-Wars-Solo-FLOP-Rian-Johnson-trilogy-DROPPED-fan-backlash-Kathleen-Kennedy

Sounds like Kennedy has been allowed to go with dignity after Episode IX and the franchise is going to be re-booted. The mouse is a pretty harsh boss lol. Not gonna lie I hope Episode IX totally fails because Abrams is writing/directing and The Force Awakens was unoriginal garbage for which he was ridiculously praised for.

Offline BabyJesus

• General
  • #1 Cringe poster and lover of Anna Kendrick
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Most Average MVP of All Time
« Reply #595 on: June 24, 2018, 02:00:02 am »
Rouge one really wasnt that good of a movie
1st NWPC S2(21st)|(1st) 5v5 Draft~NA GroupFighting Tournament  |1st♕Rex's 6v6 Tournament | 1st TNWL S2(71st) | 1st NWL S5 (58e) | 3rd place Sleeks 5v5 (Highschoole DxD)
You are by far the best average player to touch this game.
Quote from: Risk
The BEST average player of all time

Offline Marceaux

• Donator
  • Je suis immortel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: June 24, 2018, 02:56:21 am »
Rouge one really wasnt that good of a movie

Exactly, it had some deeper themes then most star wars movies but that doesnt really make it more enjoyable. The cast was REALLY shit imo. None of the actors were really likable imo. Still liked the movie none the less.

Solo will probably lose Disney just over $50 million, which is a bit less than expected. Relatively minor for them financially but it's a pretty big symbolic defeat.

Also it may be that Rian Johnson gets his trilogy scrapped (deservedly) while the Obi-Wan spin-off has been halted:
https://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/films/977763/Star-Wars-Solo-FLOP-Rian-Johnson-trilogy-DROPPED-fan-backlash-Kathleen-Kennedy

Sounds like Kennedy has been allowed to go with dignity after Episode IX and the franchise is going to be re-booted. The mouse is a pretty harsh boss lol. Not gonna lie I hope Episode IX totally fails because Abrams is writing/directing and The Force Awakens was unoriginal garbage for which he was ridiculously praised for.

I pray Rian Johnson never gets to direct another movie period. Hes fucking retarded.

And despite Solo not blowing the box office away its still in the top 5 grossing films of 2018. And you cant really expect EVERY star wars film to be a HUGE hit in the box office. Look at all the Marvel movies that led up to infinity war etc several of them failed to meet expectations yet the franchise plowed ahead successfully and the movies them self were almost all good regardless of profit etc.

I think Abrams praise is deserving, he successfully brought star wars to a new generation and made the old fans happy at the same time. And of course the 7th movie in a saga is going to be unoriginal to some degree, it is star wars after all i mean what do you want honestly? Especially out of a continued Skywalker saga.

And I LOVE when movies include tons of fan service especially from such a childhood favorite like Star Wars. I WANT to be reminded of those older movies that made me fall in love with the galaxy far far away. And in fact if the movies don't stay similar to what made them great why would i even bother watching them? The fans that love star wars made it what it is today. and we want more of what made us fans in the first place. Or maybe its just me idk...
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 03:01:19 am by Marceaux »

Offline StevenChilton

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: June 24, 2018, 03:43:19 am »
And despite Solo not blowing the box office away its still in the top 5 grossing films of 2018. And you cant really expect EVERY star wars film to be a HUGE hit in the box office.

Top 5? It's ranked 13th according to Box Office Mojo. Also it's only late June, we've still got a ton of big releases until early August then there's the major Christmas/New Year period. Solo will be lucky to be in the top 25 of 2018. Star Wars is a major franchise backed by a major studio so you'd at least expect it to make a profit.

I think Abrams praise is deserving, he successfully brought star wars to a new generation and made the old fans happy at the same time. And of course the 7th movie in a saga is going to be unoriginal to some degree, it is star wars after all i mean what do you want honestly? Especially out of a continued Skywalker saga.

And I LOVE when movies include tons of fan service especially from such a childhood favorite like Star Wars. I WANT to be reminded of those older movies that made me fall in love with the galaxy far far away. And in fact if the movies don't stay similar to what made them great why would i even bother watching them? The fans that love star wars made it what it is today. and we want more of what made us fans in the first place. Or maybe its just me idk...

Dunno, I disliked Episode VIII for being too unoriginal plus they missed the chance to get the original trio back together. Elements of the plot didn't make much sense either. Had some nice scenes etc but maybe my expectations were too high. I still think the only good Disney Star Wars is Rogue One.

Offline Marceaux

• Donator
  • Je suis immortel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: June 24, 2018, 03:51:50 am »
And despite Solo not blowing the box office away its still in the top 5 grossing films of 2018. And you cant really expect EVERY star wars film to be a HUGE hit in the box office.

Top 5? It's ranked 13th according to Box Office Mojo. Also it's only late June, we've still got a ton of big releases until early August then there's the major Christmas/New Year period. Solo will be lucky to be in the top 25 of 2018. Star Wars is a major franchise backed by a major studio so you'd at least expect it to make a profit.

Dunno, I disliked Episode VIII for being too unoriginal plus they missed the chance to get the original trio back together. Elements of the plot didn't make much sense either. Had some nice scenes etc but maybe my expectations were too high. I still think the only good Disney Star Wars is Rogue One.

Idk what numbers your looking at? Global perhaps?

And i agree they really missed some golden opportunities in episode 7. The fact that we didn't get to the trio together is very upsetting honestly i agree. But overall i mean i think it got the job done. Especially when you look at the shit show Rian Johnson gave us in the Last Jedi, just a complete slap in the fans faces.

Offline StevenChilton

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: June 24, 2018, 12:51:13 pm »
Yeah I'm looking at global, I'm not American plus the US market alone is not big enough to sustain modern major film budgets. If they don't sell well overseas (particularly China and Europe) then they're not going to make money (Solo being a case in point, it bombed in China).