Author Topic: Developer Blog 15 - Billy Yank  (Read 39930 times)

Offline Blue2volf

• Private
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Developer Blog 15 - Billy Yank
« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2013, 08:58:36 am »
Marvelous work beaches :3

Offline Gokiller

• Almost Pride of Ni
  • Major General
  • Bydand in the chat lads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2013, 08:59:14 am »
Lovely,

Also Olafson.... Don't send me two newsletters for the same blog! I nearly had my hopes up that there we're actually two blogs.  :'(

Offline BSM 'Shut up' Williams

• First Lieutenant
  • Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna!
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
  • Nick: Jean Grande
  • Side: Union
« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2013, 09:21:54 am »
Spoiler
Developer Blog 15 - Billy Yank

Hello there and welcome back to our 15th Developer Blog. Today we have something special for you.

<video width=\"1050\" height=\"1080\" controls autoplay loop>
  <source src=\"https://www.fsegames.eu/Union_Soldier.mp4\" type=\"video/mp4\">
<source src=\"https://www.fsegames.eu/Union_Soldier.flv\" type=\"video/flv\">
<source src=\"https://www.fsegames.eu/Union_Soldier.swf\" type=\"video/swf\">
    <source src=\"https://www.fsegames.eu/Union_Soldier.ogv\" type=\"video/ogg\">
       <source src=:\"https://www.fsegames.eu/Union_Soldier.webm\" type=\"video/webm\">
 <source src=\"https://www.fsegames.eu/Union_Soldier.mov\" type=\"video/mov\">
  <object data=\"https://www.fsegames.eu/Union_Soldier.mp4\" width=\"1050\" height=\"1080\">
    <embed width=\"1050\" height=\"1080\" src=\"https://www.fsegames.eu/Union_Soldier.flv\">
  </object>
</video> 

The animation above displays a typically dressed and equipped Union infantry ranker. He is wearing a sack coat (a clothing item that was most widely used by the Union soldiers throughout the war) together with regulation trousers, an 1858 Pattern Forage Cap and the so-called ‘Jefferson boots’, also known as ‘Brogans’, which were very typical footwear for soldiers on both sides of the conflict.

Further the soldier is equipped with a U.S. M1855 cartridge box, worn from a shoulder cartridge belt with the round decorative plate affixed. The soldier’s waist belt is decorated with an oval belt buckle made of brass and has a M1855 cap pouch and a Springfield bayonet scabbard attached to it, among other things.

On his back the soldier is wearing a 1853 Double bag knapsack used to carry personal belongings, spare clothing and any other items the soldier might need. A greatcoat or a blanket roll was commonly attached to it; this particular soldier has his greatcoat rolled up and strapped to the top of the knapsack. Rations and other food were generally carried in the U.S. regulation haversack, which the soldier wears on his side. It was common to attach mugs to the haversack, though our particular soldier has decided to attach it to his knapsack instead. Finally the soldier is wearing a M1862 canteen, commonly known as a ‘Bullseye canteen’. The canteens were sometimes covered with cloth in various colors and patterns or simply worn as they were, like on our soldier. Canteens were crucially important for any soldier both during the long exhausting marches and in combat.

Thanks for reading.
Flying Squirrel Entertainment
[close]

Nice Work.

Steam Profile Signature
[close]

Offline Onii

• Donator
  • Your friendly neighbourhood Dane
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2013, 09:24:42 am »
Don't need to quote the entire Blog :p

Offline Docm30

• First Lieutenant
  • Retired.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2013, 09:27:18 am »
Hey, don't tell stupid people to stop doing stupid things. How else am I supposed to tell if they're stupid?

Offline Onii

• Donator
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 18, 2013, 09:28:20 am »
So smart :O

Offline Gokiller

• Almost Pride of Ni
  • Major General
  • Bydand in the chat lads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 18, 2013, 09:33:23 am »
Hey, don't tell stupid people to stop doing stupid things. How else am I supposed to tell if they're stupid?

So mean. Seems every good modder has an evil side.  :-[

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
  • Nick: FSE_Olafson
« Reply #52 on: April 18, 2013, 09:34:10 am »

Waaat?

Lovely,

Also Olafson.... Don't send me two newsletters for the same blog! I nearly had my hopes up that there we're actually two blogs.  :'(

Sorry, I did not want to.

Looks more like jean material than wool, but still, I love the detail. ;)

Johnny Reb should definitely have a roller belt buckle and civilian trousers. :D

Yeah, the trousers still need some work. The reflections are to bright, + some of the folds are way to small. That makes it look a bit like jeans cloth, even though it is not supposed to be. We will work on it. Obviously, everything is work in progress. But overall, it fits it very well. You also have to consider, that most of the time the unit is actually in movement, instead of standing still. The trousers were made to fit the unit best while in movement, since standing still maybe takes 10% of the game time. (if even...)

Now that we are talking about uniforms... Will the game be skin modding friendly? As in: can we customize skins easily without having to mess up other units? Or like a skin installer for when someone customizes the uniforms?

I was wondering the same thing, actually. Given that NW was so limited when it came to model replacement (By that I mean pants and hats), I believe this time around FSE should try to figure a way around that.

Although... I don't want that at the expense of huge file sizes...

What do you mean? You can customize everything in NW... You could even make an alien. Anyway, atm our model consists of several sub models, the pants, the arms, the body, the roll, the knapsack, the mug, the canteen, the belts, the scabbard, the cartridge box (with several opened cartridge box models, for animations(if we can get it to work)), the shoes, the hat. I hope I did not forget anything...

The idea behind this was, to make a general Uniform set that we then can apply to almost any troop. Just a few customization here and there, and it could already be a completely different troop.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 09:39:40 am by Olafson »

Offline Docm30

• First Lieutenant
  • Retired.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 18, 2013, 09:39:53 am »
Regarding the model, the main thing that jumps out at me is the small, sharp creases on the trousers which make it look like they soaking wet. I'd say the folds and creases ought to be softened up quite a bit.

Looks good, though.

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
  • Nick: FSE_Olafson
« Reply #54 on: April 18, 2013, 10:21:02 am »
Yeh. I already experimented abit. Disabling 2 layers in the texture has some effect. The fold do not stick out that much anymore, the reflections are not as bright and everything looks much better. Still needs some proper rework, but that looks good already. Should have done that before uploading it to the blog... :P

Offline Siberian Cossack

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Siberian_Cossack
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #55 on: April 18, 2013, 10:34:01 am »
F*CK! F*CK! F*CK! F*CKING AWESOME!!!!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D

Offline Iron William

• Donator
  • 68th_NY_Maj_IronWilliam
    • View Profile
  • Nick: William/ Iron Will
« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2013, 11:31:34 am »
really awsome
Iron Brigade for the Glory   and   Honor of the Union !!!

Offline Cara

• French Language Moderator
  • Language Moderator
  • Former IVe_AdC
    • View Profile
    • TFD
« Reply #57 on: April 18, 2013, 02:34:21 pm »
Awesome, keep it up !  ;D

Offline Betaknight

• Major
  • To Protect and To Serve
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Betaknight
« Reply #58 on: April 18, 2013, 02:39:31 pm »
Basically Olafson, I meant that in NW we can customize but players don't know how to install, or its a shame that the player that downloaded the custom skin cant show off... Since it diesnt show up for others. So a like tean fortress 2 ish style where you can like add your own uniform to like example steam workshop and if you download something from there it will show up in the game for the player and for the others that didnt download the "item"
The first modder for NW.

Offline Onii

• Donator
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 18, 2013, 02:44:01 pm »
I think something like that is possible but it would have to be implemented into the server first.