Author Topic: Roman Love Thread  (Read 18771 times)

Offline joer5835

• Brigadier General
  • My face is tired.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Joer
  • Side: Union
Re: Roman Love Thread
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2014, 03:07:26 pm »
Roman history not relevant? A WASTE OF TIME!?

Spoiler
[close]

Please, kill her.
Polan is of dangerous to FSE
Im from Poland , a land of lawlessness

Offline Crunk

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • The tactical turtleneck, the tactilneck!
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2014, 03:27:05 pm »
There is never enough Roman Empire.

Howe, you may very well have made the best thread ever.
My plan is to crowdsource a plan.

Offline Allasaphore

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2014, 06:21:57 pm »
Well, the New Testament was written primarily by Roman citizens (if my memory is correct, anyway).

On a non-theological note, everybody loves their stoicism. Stoicism is great, with Marcus Aurelius and Seneca writing interesting books/essays.

I'm a Christian, read the Bible many times, technically most of them were Jews. Paul was a Jew, Matthew, Mark, Luke, John. All jews.  Some might have became Romans, but they were Jews

Note the part where I said that they were Roman citizens, or "citizens of the Roman Empire". It is important to note that we don't know who wrote the Gospels of Luke, Mark, and Matthew, where John was a resident (but not citizen) of the Roman Empire. Paul was a Roman Citizen by virtue of his birth in the free city of Tarsus. It is important to note that being a Jew (of the Jewish religion) does not preclude an individual from being a citizen of the Roman Empire.

The most that can be said of John and the authors of Mark, Matthew, and Luke is that those individuals were likely residents of the Roman state, though we don't know if they were citizens or not.

Offline Antoine de Lasalle

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2014, 01:21:22 am »
Well, the New Testament was written primarily by Roman citizens (if my memory is correct, anyway).

On a non-theological note, everybody loves their stoicism. Stoicism is great, with Marcus Aurelius and Seneca writing interesting books/essays.

I'm a Christian, read the Bible many times, technically most of them were Jews. Paul was a Jew, Matthew, Mark, Luke, John. All jews.  Some might have became Romans, but they were Jews

Note the part where I said that they were Roman citizens, or "citizens of the Roman Empire". It is important to note that we don't know who wrote the Gospels of Luke, Mark, and Matthew, where John was a resident (but not citizen) of the Roman Empire. Paul was a Roman Citizen by virtue of his birth in the free city of Tarsus. It is important to note that being a Jew (of the Jewish religion) does not preclude an individual from being a citizen of the Roman Empire.

The most that can be said of John and the authors of Mark, Matthew, and Luke is that those individuals were likely residents of the Roman state, though we don't know if they were citizens or not.

I'm sorry but we do know who wrote Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John. OK maybe they did LIVE in Rome but by heart, blood, and choice they weren't Roman.

Offline Colbac

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 24th[LtCol]_Colbac
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2014, 02:41:27 am »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cato_the_Elder

"After I die, I'd rather people ask why I have no monument, then why I have one."

Offline Colonel Howe

• Donator
  • There isn't a noose tight enough
    • View Profile
    • People's History Podcast
  • Nick: Noah
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2014, 04:23:33 am »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cato_the_Elder

"After I die, I'd rather people ask why I have no monument, then why I have one."
The Catos are a tad on the cunt side of the spectrum

soz
Fuck off, Nazi scum

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2014, 05:02:33 am »

Offline Menelaos

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2014, 05:28:45 am »

Offline Nipplestockings

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2014, 05:33:47 am »
So I was searching through my Google Docs and I found something from two years ago that I wrote while obscenely intoxicated.

Here goes, I'm sorry for what you are about to read.

Spoiler
Owen Thompson
The eleventh day of the month of the great ruler Octavian

The Glorious and Legendary Legacy of the Classical Roman Republic and Empire, and an Ode to the Great Lord Zeus; May He Pillage My Anus Into Oblivion For All of Eternity

Rome was founded on the day Romulus raped Remus and subsequently wiped his name from history. Rome immediately became so great that anyone who wasn’t part of the pure Roman race who attempted to enter the realm would immediately disintegrate into dust and be teleported into Zeus’s bedchamber, where he would be raped so viciously that his anus would create a rift in time that would send a shock through every dimension. Anyone who insulted Rome in its glory would be hanged from the head of Zeus’s thousand mile long penis, and would have to bear the horrors of Zeus’s ejactulation process, which a included a jet liquid gold and plasma so hot that it could melt through any universe’s core.

The Romans created glorious aqueducts and paved roads so that they could ship their magical semen to all over the world. This semen was used as a tool of ethnic cleansing, and every time a baby was concepted of an unclean barbarian race, the father’s penis would explode and the mother would be flooded with twenty gallons of holy roman semen, commissioned and approved by the great lord Zeus himself.

The Romans also destroyed the filthy and puny Rajpoonani civilization, but nobody cared because they were always retarded.

Great Lord Zeus’s Hyme:
O’ Lord Zeus
Please fuck me until I am dead
I am forever promised in faith to your
Great Cock
Please fuck me until I plead for forgiveness
I could never ask
For something so wonderful and glorious
As to be penetrated by your great
fifty mile long dick
I love you Zeus, I love you Zeus
I would love to fucked by Zeus
Even though he may have too many other cases on his hands
Of unholy sinners who needed to repent their sins by having their assholes
widened so far that another universe was created
Fuck FUCK FUCK
FUCK FUCK FUCK
ZEUS
FUCK
ME

Amen.

[close]
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 05:35:32 am by Nipplestockings »

Offline Allasaphore

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2014, 07:06:16 am »
Spoiler

I'm sorry but we do know who wrote Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John. OK maybe they did LIVE in Rome but by heart, blood, and choice they weren't Roman.
[close]

I never said that they lived in Rome. I said that they could have had (and Paul certainly did have) Roman citizenship. Do you mean "Roman" in terms of "from the city of Rome" or "a citizen of the Roman Empire", or "directly descended from the original Romans after the fall of the Etrusci"? I would also like you to state specifically who wrote the Gospels of Matthew, Mark, and Luke, who contemporary scholars acknowledge uncertain authorship to.

I do not mean "the general tradition is that person x wrote it", what I want you to do is explain your certainty to the academic world on who the authors of those Gospels actually are.

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2014, 07:44:35 am »
Spoiler

[close]

I never said that they lived in Rome. I said that they could have had (and Paul certainly did have) Roman citizenship. Do you mean "Roman" in terms of "from the city of Rome" or "a citizen of the Roman Empire", or "directly descended from the original Romans after the fall of the Etrusci"? I would also like you to state specifically who wrote the Gospels of Matthew, Mark, and Luke, who contemporary scholars acknowledge uncertain authorship to.

I do not mean "the general tradition is that person x wrote it", what I want you to do is explain your certainty to the academic world on who the authors of those Gospels actually are.

We do know that John Mark wrote the gospel of Mark.  Luke was Luke, although highly disputed, but why name a book after a different author?  Matthew was by Matthew. 

And what i'm saying is, they maybe were "Citizen," but I would never classify these Jews/Greeks as "Romans." If you want to talk about them make a Jewish/Greek Thread.

Offline Allasaphore

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2014, 07:27:32 pm »
Spoiler

[close]

We do know that John Mark wrote the gospel of Mark.  Luke was Luke, although highly disputed, but why name a book after a different author?  Matthew was by Matthew. 

And what i'm saying is, they maybe were "Citizen," but I would never classify these Jews/Greeks as "Romans." If you want to talk about them make a Jewish/Greek Thread.

Gospel of Mark's authorship, according to wikipedia and wiki sources:
Spoiler
Most modern scholars reject the tradition which ascribes it to Mark the Evangelist, the companion of Peter, and regard it as the work of an unknown author working with various sources including collections of miracle stories, controversy stories, parables, and a passion narrative.[3]
[close]

Gospel of Matthew's authorship, according to wikipedia and wiki sources:
Spoiler
The anonymous author was probably a highly educated Jew, intimately familiar with the technical aspects of Jewish law, and the disciple Matthew was probably honored within his circle.[4] The author drew on three main sources to compose his gospel: the Gospel of Mark; the hypothetical collection of sayings known as the Q source; and material unique to his own community, called "Special Matthew", or the M source.[5]
[close]

Gospel of Luke's authorship, according to wikipedia and wiki sources:
Spoiler
The author is traditionally identified as Luke the Evangelist.[7] Modern scholarship generally rejects the view that Luke was the original author,[8] with the most that could be said being that Lukan authorship is "not impossible".[9] While the traditional view that Luke authored the gospel is still often put forward, a number of possible contradictions between Acts and Paul's letters lead many scholars to dispute this account,[10][11] and for some the author remains unknown.[5] Biblical Scholars are in wide agreement that the author of the Gospel of Luke also wrote the Acts of the Apostles.[12] Many believe that these two books originally constituted a two-volume work,[13][14][15] which scholars refer to as Luke-Acts.[16]
[close]

Gospel of John's authorship, according to wikipedia and wiki sources:
Spoiler
Chapter 21 states that the book derives from the testimony of the "disciple whom Jesus loved" and early church tradition identified him as John the Apostle, one of Jesus' Twelve Apostles. The gospel is closely related in style and content to the three surviving Epistles of John such that commentators treat the four books,[1] along with the Book of Revelation, as a single body of Johannine literature. According to most modern scholars, however, the apostle John was not the author of any of these books.[2]
[close]

Your claims about authorship are uncertain, particularly because the early church ascribed the Gospels to different traditions (ie written by certain Apostles, etc). The only possible author known to have written a gospel is John, for the similarities in writing between gospel and his epistles. "Luke" may be unidentifiable, but we do know that whoever authored the Gospel of Luke also authored the Acts of the Apostles.

As for classifying people as "Romans", would you stop beating around the bush and actually establish a definition of "Roman"? Do you mean "coming from the city of Rome", "a citizen of the Roman Empire", a "resident of the Roman Empire", or some other definition? In short, what do you mean by "ROMAN"? (the bold is present in the hope that you actually answer the question, instead of ignoring it as you have previously done).

Offline Crunk

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2014, 07:33:11 pm »
Damn thats a lot of religion.

Back on topic: What are your thoughts on the Tetrarchy? Yay or nay and why?

Offline Allasaphore

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2014, 07:43:06 pm »
The story of the Battle of the Milvian Bridge is interesting, particularly the painting of chi-rho on the shields of Constantine's soldiers.

Spoiler
[close]

Relevant as a major battle in the Civil War between Constantine and Maxentius, resulting in Constantine's rule over the Roman Empire after the Tetrarchy (I assume you're talking about the Tetrarchy 293AD-313AD).

Offline Crunk

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2014, 08:24:45 pm »
Correct.

I always found Diocletian and his policies interesting, but... Was the Roman Empire too large to be ruled by one man, or was the decline due to bad Emperors? In the end, the Tetrarchy was a good idea, but doomed to fail by the ambition of the Tetrarchs themselves.