Author Topic: Help wanted for upcoming Napoleonic Wars patch, balancing thread.  (Read 11600 times)

Offline Blossom

• Volunteer
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Help wanted for upcoming Napoleonic Wars patch, balancing thread.
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2017, 02:11:04 am »
Please, I beg you.
Reduce the amount of health/armor or whatever that sailors have. It just does not make any sense.
They are nearly completely naked but have as much armor/HP as cuirassiers and other heavily armored cav units.
Thanks

Yes it's ridicoulus how OP they are, they should have worse shooting skills than officers, no armour and less hp than soldiers.
If you really want to give them a perk then make them drive boats faster or something.

This is a proper issue especially at deathmatches where sailors tend to team up and ruin the servers.
17:28 - Trumplling: You're so fucking annoying

Offline Freedom

• Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2017, 02:12:54 am »
Please, I beg you.
Reduce the amount of health/armor or whatever that sailors have. It just does not make any sense.
They are nearly completely naked but have as much armor/HP as cuirassiers and other heavily armored cav units.
Thanks

This is a proper issue especially at deathmatches where sailors tend to team up and ruin the servers.
more like a butthurt soldier on TP
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 02:15:35 am by Freedom »

Offline Thunderstormer

• FSE Developer
  • Worse than Hotler
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2017, 02:31:11 am »
we arent planning on adding any units.   

i nerfed sailor armor a few days ago among other changes.  I gave it the same armor as other infantry.  They are basically french and brit partisani but with the obvious differences in looks and load out options.  i also buffed the marine captain to have the same amount of health as everyone else. 

The addition of Russian lights (and for that matter, addition of lights to all factions missing it) would be cool but I doubt this is something that you guys want to do at this point.
This, this, absolutely this. I can't count the number of times people have complained about line infantry units being used as lights. Adding line infantry muskets as a weapon option for skirmishers would be enough to solve it. I tried doing that with scripts before, but unfortunately, my scripting skills are lacking.
i believe it would require a change to a lot of files, including some client stuff to make it work depending on how you want to go about it. 
Should you need to talk to me regarding NA1 or or something regarding admining or the admins, PM me here on the forums and not on steam.  *

*This does not include Official Server Admins.

Offline Ambiguous

• Lieutenant General
  • Lieutenant of the 92nd
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 92nd_Lt_Ambiguous
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2017, 01:38:42 pm »
Can we get gatling guns

Offline Hinkel

• Colonel
  • Confederate Commander in Chief
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Gen_Hinkel

Offline noodle

• Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2017, 07:31:27 pm »
I heard there was an update coming so I registered and wanted to raise my #1 pet issue:

Canister shot for cannons is utterly useless, doesn't even work well sub 50 yards, might as well shoot round shot instead.

IRL effective range was up to 500 yards and could mow down dozens of men in a single shot with great accuracy (this is why artillery was king of the battlefield)

assuming the artillery pieces we use in game are 12 pounders they would have over 400 bullets in each cannister, no idea how many are in current ones but it definitely seems too little.

Make canister shot extremely deadly please, it isn't really a napoleonic game when artillery is an afterthought or relegated to busting down walls.

Shrapnel also seems to do little to no damage, considering explosions are quite weak (they only cover like 4 feet radii) shrapnel should be the real killer of explosions.

Offline William

• Major General
  • What doth life?
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel where I upload NW and M&B
  • Nick: CluelessWill
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2017, 08:24:25 pm »
I heard there was an update coming so I registered and wanted to raise my #1 pet issue:

Canister shot for cannons is utterly useless, doesn't even work well sub 50 yards, might as well shoot round shot instead.

IRL effective range was up to 500 yards and could mow down dozens of men in a single shot with great accuracy (this is why artillery was king of the battlefield)

assuming the artillery pieces we use in game are 12 pounders they would have over 400 bullets in each cannister, no idea how many are in current ones but it definitely seems too little.

Make canister shot extremely deadly please, it isn't really a napoleonic game when artillery is an afterthought or relegated to busting down walls.

Shrapnel also seems to do little to no damage, considering explosions are quite weak (they only cover like 4 feet radii) shrapnel should be the real killer of explosions.
+1
Check out my YT channel where I post NW www.youtube. com/c/CluelessWill
Spoiler
god damn, Anthony is smart, he was able to get the shit AEF to tie with the best reg in the game. The tactical geniusness needed to pull off such a feat is insane. He's the Erwin Rommel of NW.
i always get an erection when i check my subscrptions and see that phresh cluelesswill vid
It won't be FSE developing it, so it will come out!
[close]

Offline Thunderstormer

• FSE Developer
  • Worse than Hotler
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2017, 01:12:58 am »

hmmm while i am not against canister being better, i am also aware after years of playing, people dont know how to use it, and just shoot the crap out of the ground.  If they aimed higher, they would get a better spread overall, and make better use of it.(most dont know that)   I have seen it be effective in lbs.  we have to be careful as well, as this is a game, and making things too strong to try and match real life may not make for good gameplay.   

arty isn't an after thought at lbs.   not if they are decent.   in sieges, they are suppose to knock walls down first, to help the team get in.  killing is a 2ndary role there.

shrapnel seems to kill horses and men just fine from what i seen over the years. sometimes you get lucky and tank a hit.

Should you need to talk to me regarding NA1 or or something regarding admining or the admins, PM me here on the forums and not on steam.  *

*This does not include Official Server Admins.

Offline Matim

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 14pk_Matim
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2017, 02:40:43 pm »
About cav

Lancers are usually banned on the tournaments. Something should be done about it, unless you think banning a unit type is a sign of a good balance.

The only time heavy cav won the nations cup was when most of the rounds were fought dismounted cuirassiers vs hussars. In a skirmish heavy vs light heavies have no chance whatsoever. IMO this is due to the decreased heavy hp in the last patch (since sacrificing 1/2 of the horse hp in order to kill the opponent is no longer viable). However raw increase of heavy horse's hp will cause infantry butthurt again.

If you wish to balance the heavies I advice increasing significantly their armour, so that piercing bayonets do more dmg than 3 out of 4 sabre's attacks, or to increase heavy horse's hp but implementing some bonus for the bayonets vs horse. Maybe even buffing the speed bonus.

None of these will fix the fact that the lights can simply run around heavies. Maybe something like making lights much faster but far less manoeuvrable. IMO something needs to be done so that at the competitive level heavies are playable.

Offline noodle

• Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2017, 07:13:25 pm »
I would just make cuirassiers armor quite likely to deflect any sabre blow since thats what its for, and no sword is ever going to slash through hardened steel.

also since the primary role of light cavalry is absent in this game (recon) there isn't really any realistic place for it aside from getting to a place quicker than anyone else can.

Artillery:

Increase the effectiveness of cannister to be actually worth using, no matter how I aim (and I'm pretty good at artillery) it barely ever does anything at even optimal ranges.

Add horse artillery with lighter caliber, standard in game cannons look like 12 pounders, so you can just keep the model and make it clear its a 6 pounder when its horse artillery, or just implement one of the mods/models that does this.

Between lancers and hussars: from what I know of real life Hussars frequently had firearms like pistols and carbines, if I were trying to differentiate them I'd give hussars pistols and carbines while lancers get .... lances.

So the dragoons and hussars would both have firearms, but dragoons should dismount before firing and have better skills with them.

Offline Lilja Mariasdóttir

• Colonel
  • Ist ein Schaf in einer Tasse
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2017, 02:48:33 pm »
Regarding the the canister shots "too weak" complaints. I always see the artillery in a linebattle doing at least 1-2 kills, when a line is charging them. And just yesterday evening, after reading the complaints here, I catched 2 screenshots in a normal linebattle (both screens from yesterday:)

Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
[close]
Seehofer schafft das Heer ab.

Offline noodle

• Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2017, 04:20:15 am »
Regarding the the canister shots "too weak" complaints. I always see the artillery in a linebattle doing at least 1-2 kills, when a line is charging them. And just yesterday evening, after reading the complaints here, I catched 2 screenshots in a normal linebattle (both screens from yesterday:)

This looks to be literally like 10 meters away (at least in the second picture) in a "line battle"  in which case I'd expect a canister to kill like 1 person if aimed correctly due to the spread being very low at this point.

Canister is accurate up to 500 yards and capable of killing 20 men in one shot at this range on a line sized target, and also is aimed in front of the regiment so that the balls bounce off the ground and strike upwards.

This isn't even considering the effects of a double charge of canister, or round ball and canister loaded together.

Now, we're certainly not using the same sizes as the real napoleonic wars where a single detachment would be over 300 men strong, but considering the musketry of all regular troops in the game is quite above average (IRL hit rate was about .003% at 200 yards) cannons seem quite weak in comparison with their most useful shot (at least IRL)

The reason canister was so deadly (and the most feared weapon of the time) was because it had the power of a full volley of muskets with a much greater inherent accuracy, as well as a much easier time of aiming (when a detachment begins firing, no one can see 3 feet in front of them, a cannon has clear sight)

Canister should be the go to ammunition for firing on any target that isn't in an enfilade, in this case cannonballs would be used to rake down an entire column of men, whereas canister would much more effectively distribute itself across a wide target like an approaching regiment.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 04:23:03 am by noodle »

Offline FineApple

• Sergeant Major
  • 8̡͇̩͚̘̟̯͔̊̂͋͒̉̊͒̍̉̍ͮ͟4̘͖̯̘͇̣̦̩̆̓̇̏͂͐̊͌̅ͬ͂͒ͤ̉͂̚̚͟͟͞
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2017, 03:10:59 pm »

i know its balance thread, but here i collected issues and thoughts of an ordinary NW player like myself

- add a cheer animation, there is already a unofficial addon that proves its possible
https://www.fsegames.eu/forum/index.php?topic=23374.0

- add a dirt effect on a spyglass to make it more realistic, the current one is just eeh.

- Make big ships more durable, a single cannonball can sink the whole ship

- fix the brown boats, you can easily push off people from the back because there is no solid object to prevent them from being pushed off.

- this issue has been mostly fixed by the server hosters and most of you aware of that, fix the glitch that crashes server when you pick up two flags

- there is a boat that has a cannon on it, a cannon that does not fire, and it lacks object placement, making it a good hideout for players

- Protection against game altering mods that give an unfair advantage to the players. if it is possible.

- in commander battle, sometimes bots appear to be floating in the sky

- add crouch walk, other mods proved it its possible, why can't we have it in NW?

- fix object placement in the big ship, that causes players constantly get stuck( check screens )
Spoiler

[close]

« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 04:14:54 pm by FineApple »
F͐ͬͨͥ̊̃͊ͦ̒̃ͪ͏̸̴̟͈͈̱̟͔̜̣͇I̷̡̻̻͓̖͔͕ͦͨ̈͐̎ͦ͌̇̅̉N̶̊̈̉ͦ͆́̚̕͏͎̲̰̣̱̰E̡̓ͥ̊̅̿̾ͧ̈́̍͊̔ͭͪ͂̎͠͝҉̭̳̰̮̳̳̞̙ͅA̡̡̹͚̫̥͔̼̥̲ͭͮ̃ͨͯ̇͑̆̋̒ͣ͟͡͝P͓͔̖̲͍̻̖̱̀̄ͫ̂ͩ̈́̃̀̿ͭ̾͋̄̐͗͘͡͞P͇͚͔̮̺̲͕͎͓͙̗̝̹̖̯̻͌̈́̅̌̀ͣ̀ͫͦ̅ͧ̀̆͌̃̍ͣ̄̀͜ͅĻ̹̲̤̠̞̬͉̦͍̖͔͕͉̘̲̼̱̽̓̏́̍͂ͯ͋͑̾ͮ͆́͟E̸̡̬̭͚̼̭̥̯͋͛ͨ̑͐̿͟͝͡F̍ͯ͌̃ͣ̈͗̿҉̢̨̢̱̙̳͉̦̣͓̙I̔́ͩ̄ͫ͋̑͒͐̉́͏̡̰̯̥Ņ̵̷̶͓͓͚̬̗̞̖̥̠̂̂̑͐̅ͣ͐͑̒̈ͭͪ̈́ͮ͡ͅE̵̶̡͉̪̪̼̗̹̲̰͉ͬ̃͛ͫ͋̀̍̄Ấ̡͇̼̘̝͕̟͎̳͓̦̮̘̥̼̘̖͓̞͒̈̀̃ͪ̾ͪ̐̓̆̎̽ͨ͗̑͂͘͟P̵̞͇̮̬̳͕͎͉͎̳̬̼̱̱̘͚̬̬ͭ̓ͨ̃͑͛̐͜P̶̵̸̦͍̥̣̹̹ͣͫͣ̇͑͐̈ͤ͢L̛̖͍̮̤̳̱̗͙̭̻̋̅ͦͦͧ͊̀ͦ̿ͤ̃̆̉ͫ́͊ͮ̚͠ͅĘ͕̻̹̟̯ͮͦ͑ͬ̿͜͟F̶̨͚͚̠̲̬̩̪̗͚͙̂ͬͤ̽̇̊̇ͧ͆͂̔ͤ̽̌ͧ͜I̵̛͈̻̩̥͙̭̪̳̼̫͌͆ͯ̔ͫ̏ͨ͒̂̐ͭ̓̆̅̓̍̀͜Ņ̵̸͉̪͙͕͔̜̟͈̦̹̦͈̂̃̐̾̐̄ͦͭ͐̓̋ͩ̓E̷̛̪̳͉̲̯̩̔̂ͮ̌ͫ̓̒̉̇̃ͫ̽͌̈́̔̇̏̿̀̕Ȁ̫͖̬͉͙͚͖̭̜̫̱̟̦̗̘̪̦̤͋̊ͬ̈́̔̇ͤͦ̃̄̆͂ͤ͗͋ͥ̀̚̚͞P̴̴̐̂ͧ́̓͗̈͗҉҉͈̹̩͍̲͚̼̦̩ͅP̈ͬͩ̿̄̊ͣ̈́̉̌̓͐͐ͯ͊̽̏̅͏̺̤̗̼̝̹͢L̴̳̱͖̪̺͖̥̻̭̯̱͔̠͙͖̣̟̻̬ͪ̄ͣ͗͗̏̂́͠E̹̮̝̘͖͈̠ͨ̃ͪ̾̀̅ͦ̓͐̾ͫ͆ͮ͐́̾́ͅF̧̛͙͔͈͈̺̳͔̥̪͊ͥ̉̇̿͑͟I̬̟̻̫̖̫͍͉̼͍̟̦͖͉̲ͫ͆̉̆̈́ͭ̃ͧ̓̆̇̍̕N͓̰̮͎͎̠͈͉̬͚̼̦̙͆͆ͯͧͫ̾͂͌͂̍̔͒ͭ̈́̅ͪ̕Ę͍̘̹͈̳̮̼͕̣͙̳̞̭́ͪ̎ͯ̐͐ͭ̍̒͛̓ͥͬ̚͟A͑̿̿̇̀͊ͬ̄̉ͪͭ͆̄͆͟͏̩̯̟̮͕̲̭̲͓̯̩̕P̥̼͔̹͕͔̙̻̺̣͕̳̞̝̺͕̣̍ͧ̌̀͐͒͗ͫ̋̂̅ͦ̒̊ͫ͜͝P͕̺̗͔̯̣͓̠̬̪̮̞̖͛̒͑ͬ͋̌ͭ͋̉ͨͦ̈ͮ̓̉̏́̚̚͟͠L͖͕̗̝̗̯̣͎͓̬͉̿ͨͨ̊ͩ̋͒̂̀̐̋͡͞͠E̢ͤ̎ͤ͊̃͆ͨ̊͆ͨ̔͌̅̍́҉̼̳̩͔̲̯̯̩̠̲̻̣̳̫ͅͅF̓̃͐̌̑͛̽ͯ͛̿̚̚̕͡

Offline bobertini

• Major General
  • Stark <3<3<3
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2017, 09:47:58 pm »
Just to add to that big boat, there's one stair that is buggy walking up. The other is smooth.

Offline Lilja Mariasdóttir

• Colonel
  • Ist ein Schaf in einer Tasse
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2017, 11:35:25 pm »

- this issue has been mostly fixed by the server hosters and most of you aware of that, fix the glitch that crashes server when you pick up two flags
This is a problem of your host. Ask him to update his servers, or change the host.
Seehofer schafft das Heer ab.