Author Topic: Let's discuss: Reenacting!  (Read 232697 times)

Offline munky-wunky

• Captain
  • Oh, I'm a good old rebel, Now thats just what I am
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
Re: Let's discuss: Reenacting!
« Reply #810 on: June 03, 2014, 10:22:16 pm »
Me Ist Back!!!!

yaya Zac long time no see
Spoiler
Welcome to FSE hun. Enjoy your stay on s.s. Duuring. Lifeboat is to be found on upper left corner as "log out". We wish you enjoy the journey. Thank you for choosing Dutch Sea For your vacation.
[close]

Offline Nipplestockings

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #811 on: June 04, 2014, 06:35:43 am »
So, I've been considering getting into World War 2 re-enactment, and currently I'm interested in Red Army stuff. I found the 193rd Rifle Division which operates within the east coast US, and they seem to be pretty big and well known, however relatively little information is provided on their website. Do any of you guys on the east coast know anything about their reputation and such? I have a few reservations about joining a unit I don't know much about or anyone in it. Is this something that people generally do, or should I talk to some people before going off and signing up for something I might regret later?

Here's their website in case anyone cares - http://rkka193rdrifles.homestead.com/index.html

Thanks.

Offline munky-wunky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: June 04, 2014, 06:43:38 am »
So, I've been considering getting into World War 2 re-enactment, and currently I'm interested in Red Army stuff. I found the 193rd Rifle Division which operates within the east coast US, and they seem to be pretty big and well known, however relatively little information is provided on their website. Do any of you guys on the east coast know anything about their reputation and such? I have a few reservations about joining a unit I don't know much about or anyone in it. Is this something that people generally do, or should I talk to some people before going off and signing up for something I might regret later?

Here's their website in case anyone cares - http://rkka193rdrifles.homestead.com/index.html

Thanks.

privet tovarishch  Nipplestockings

I am currently a Red army Soldier in the 193rd Rifle Division. I have fielded with them for two events and my third with them will be this weekend at Reading Pa. These guys are a great Unit. Red Army reenacting is smaller and has less events then say G.I., but it equally fun to do, also cheaper for that matter.  I assume you live in the mid Atlantic  area? 
Spoiler
Welcome to FSE hun. Enjoy your stay on s.s. Duuring. Lifeboat is to be found on upper left corner as "log out". We wish you enjoy the journey. Thank you for choosing Dutch Sea For your vacation.
[close]

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • This blamed fight aint got a rear
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: June 04, 2014, 06:47:15 am »
193rd is a good choice, I've seen many photos of them through Munk's facebook and the leader himself is pretty well known in the community.  You'll like it.

You'll find WW2 Reenacting is where it's at. Good luck!

Offline Nipplestockings

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: June 04, 2014, 06:52:33 am »

Thanks.

I am currently a Red army Soldier in the 193rd Rifle Division. I have fielded with them for two events and my third with them will be this weekend at Reading Pa. These guys are a great Unit. Red Army reenacting is smaller and has less events then say G.I., but it equally fun to do, also cheaper for that matter.  I assume you live in the mid Atlantic  area? 

Cool. for some reason I thought you did German reenactment, but I guess that's just because most people here tend to.

How many people are in the unit? What is the general age range? Is Soviet reenactment that much cheaper than it is for other countries?

I live in NYC but I go to school in western MA. Time is currently an issue for me so I think I would wait til next year, but I'd like to start looking into things now so I can figure out what I want.

Offline munky-wunky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: June 04, 2014, 07:04:42 am »

Thanks.

Cool. for some reason I thought you did German reenactment, but I guess that's just because most people here tend to.

How many people are in the unit? What is the general age range? Is Soviet reenactment that much cheaper than it is for other countries?

I live in NYC but I go to school in western MA. Time is currently an issue for me so I think I would wait til next year, but I'd like to start looking into things now so I can figure out what I want.

I would say there is about 20 to 26 active members.  The age goes from 18 to 60+  however there are plenty of younger and healthy members, so not to worry thats its a bunch old guys. haha.

Soviet reenacting is cheeper, the items you can get for a lot less. (however buying it from the right place and for the right cost is key, to save on money. 

Good that your looking at units now  and to learn all that one can about them. Now I would be a bit far for you, but this weekend we have a event outside of Philly in Reading PA and that would be a cool time to check us out, but there are plenty of more opportunities  throughout the calendar.

My one beef with this unit is food, there looking for a cook sense the last one left, and unless you want to eat bread all weekend or other stuff of that sort. You would have to go to the vendors.
Spoiler
[close]

Offline Nipplestockings

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: June 04, 2014, 07:11:53 am »
That sounds pretty great. Is the 193rd the largest active unit on the east coast? There were a bunch of "allied" units listed on the website but it wasn't clear whether they were equal in size, or if they were just little local branches, or whatever. During events do you guys tend to find yourselves relatively alone, or are you joined by other Red Army units in the area?

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • This blamed fight aint got a rear
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: June 04, 2014, 07:29:22 am »
Everyone on the east coast shares the same event. Just saying. They are not so widespread like ACW. "This little town of 50 people having their own civil war days yay"  Nothing like that.  Everyone goes to FIG, FIG 2, Newville, Reading, Ike's Farm, and a tactical in South Carolina.  Whatever unit you choose, you'll likely to end up at same event as everyone anyway. 

However 193rd is soviet. Less events.  Majority of ww2 events are Normandy based. But hella cheap.  I can get a mosin with bayonet and pouch for $89.99.

Offline Nipplestockings

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: June 04, 2014, 07:45:17 am »
Hmm, okay. Well I'll look into other stuff as well, to be sure. Thanks for the info guys.

Offline munky-wunky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: June 04, 2014, 07:48:27 am »
There is the Red Gaurds i would would say there the biggest and most authentic however they are down south, NC SC Va area.
Spoiler
[close]

Offline George385

• Donator
  • nah yeah nah nah yeah nah
    • View Profile
  • Nick: George385
« Reply #820 on: June 04, 2014, 08:00:09 am »
Hmm, okay. Well I'll look into other stuff as well, to be sure. Thanks for the info guys.

on behalf of everyone here, i say no problem and glad to help.

but you are probs loaded with info... its just something that you have to expect whenever you talk to reenactor, lol, you gotta expect to be loaded with information and wishing we would shut up every once and a while.  ::)

Offline Captain America

• Second Lieutenant
  • One realm, one God, one King!
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
« Reply #821 on: June 04, 2014, 10:32:54 am »
So very glad I did Soviets rather than Fritz, even with the reduced events. There's something slightly alien about the whole thing, probably because they're just treated as some rabid red horde in Western media. It's just nice to step into the shoes of our valuable yet overlooked allies. Plus, dem nuggets, dat t-34, dem pilotkas

Offline Landrik

• First Lieutenant
  • Слава Україні!
    • View Profile
    • Infanterie-Regiment 208 (Reenacted)
  • Nick: Landrik
« Reply #822 on: June 04, 2014, 12:03:33 pm »
Out of all reenacting nothing comes close to fighting the Soviets. No hit-calling. No bitching. Never a dull moment or a feeling of "Am I really just wasting rounds?" Also everyone are great sports.

At the same time, I've seen some straight up commies on FB that do Soviet reenacting, but the same could be said for German. I'm glad I've never ran into those types in the field. They'd probably get laughed off the site anyways.

The Red Guard has a great website if you're looking to put together a good looking impression. They've kind of filled in as "Der Erste Zug" for Russian reenactors with tons of great resources on their website. http://theredguard.weebly.com/
Humans are extremely complicated creatures. Death uncomplicates them to a frightening degree...

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: June 04, 2014, 12:43:55 pm »
Oh, that's right, I'm joining the 117th Rifle Regiment.  :P

Offline Nipplestockings

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: June 04, 2014, 02:56:00 pm »
Red Guards look real nice, but I'm not really interested in driving more than four hours for meetings and events. Although from what you say they probably attend the events further north as well, seeing as they're still east coasters. Even so, the 193rd appeals to me more simply because I feel like a smaller unit would suit me better for my first time. Always preferred smaller groups of people anyway. Plus I'd probably meet more people from my area.