The Lounge > Historical Discussion

Which nations are the worst at fighting wars?

(1/85) > >>

Chosen1:
Historically, which countries are the most terrible at fighting wars? This is my list:

5. Russia
4. Spain
3. Italy
2. France
1. Austria

Turin Turambar:
I'd say:

5. Belgium (actually Belgium did not fight too bad, they were just very unlucky)
4. Peru
3. Romania
2. Bolivia
1. Italy

Why Russia, Spain, France and Austria? These countries fought gloriously in dozens of wars.

joer5835:
Every nation has moments of glory and times of defeat in their history. There's no saying who is better than one other.

Spain for example was the undoubted military leader in the 16th and early 17th century, but was nothing more than a secondary powder in the 18th century. France was the leading power in the later half of the 17th century and early 18th century, declined after the Seven years War, came back during the Napoleonic Wars and after that declined again with 1871 being a low-point.

Turin Turambar:
Indeed, but some have more moments of glory and some have more moments of defeat.

I think we should clarify if we are talking about nations or countries. Because Italy for example was the center of many wars during the Rennaissance even though they weren't united at that time.

And Bolivia isn't even a nation. It's just a region named after Simón Bolívar.

Duuring:

--- Quote from: Turin Turambar on January 02, 2015, 01:53:11 pm ---And Bolivia isn't even a nation. It's just a region named after Simón Bolívar.

--- End quote ---

The same way Germany isn't a nation, but just a region named after the collective name for the tribes who lived there during the time of the Romans.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version