Author Topic: Thoughts about "Confederate Flag" being banned  (Read 43273 times)

Offline Alistair

• Sergeant Major
  • Your Shako wielding gentleman
    • View Profile
    • 33nd Regiment of Foot
  • Nick: 33rd_Pte_Alistair
  • Side: Confederacy
Re: Thoughts about "Confederate Flag" being banned
« Reply #135 on: June 29, 2015, 12:38:05 am »
They say the Dixie Battle Flag is a pro-slavery flag. If that's true then surely the battle flags of revolutionary America should be banned too. After all the British were freeing the slaves and the Rebels were demanding their re-enslavement.

It just shows that the winners write the history...

Your knowledge of history is a little bit wrong.

It is a fact that Britain granted the freedom of any slave who fought for them against the rebels. When the Rebels won they demanded their slaves to be returned. Britain refused to return them. Most were resettled in Canada or returned back home to Africa.

Offline HawkonPC

• Captain
  • 4e Hussard's Amateur Brigadier
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 29, 2015, 12:46:07 am »
They say the Dixie Battle Flag is a pro-slavery flag. If that's true then surely the battle flags of revolutionary America should be banned too. After all the British were freeing the slaves and the Rebels were demanding their re-enslavement.

And your knowledge of History is non existent?

Offline Malkolm R. Lind

• Major
  • Why do drugs when you can listen to music?
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Illya
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #137 on: June 29, 2015, 12:53:20 am »
xD
Yeah, laugh, boy'o. People might not understand that this is just a game, not real life.

Offline Nipplestockings

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 29, 2015, 12:54:30 am »

And your knowledge of History is non existent?

I suppose.

Offline Alistair

• Sergeant Major
  • Your Shako wielding gentleman
    • View Profile
    • 33nd Regiment of Foot
  • Nick: 33rd_Pte_Alistair
« Reply #139 on: June 29, 2015, 12:55:36 am »
My family is British. And when my mother/grandmother were at school they used to sing the Dixie Anthem. I love that song. Shame it's being banned in some US schools now.  :P

Offline Malkolm R. Lind

• Major
  • Why do drugs when you can listen to music?
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Illya
« Reply #140 on: June 29, 2015, 12:56:50 am »
Edit: Just nvm...  :P
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 01:11:54 am by Johan Hindrich Winter »

Offline Viriathus

• Major
  • Rua, suas cabras!
    • View Profile
    • YouTube Channel
  • Nick: RI23_Cpt_Viriathus
« Reply #141 on: June 29, 2015, 01:38:19 am »
America is so fucked.

You help fund an organisation that turns into a terrorist organisation that attacks you and other countries around the war and then invade other countries, Iraq and Afghanistan and then tens of thousands of innocent people, only to leave the countries in a worse state then they was, for only a new terrorist organisation, ISIS, to rise and take over half of the Middle east, yet you will not admit it's your fault for all of this shit the Middle East is in.
... and again, true, but thats another topic... ;)

Offline EdwardTheGreat

• First Lieutenant
  • Beest TuRd na
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
« Reply #142 on: June 29, 2015, 05:16:00 am »
Why Europeans hate Merica' so much  :'(

Offline Nipplestockings

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 29, 2015, 06:03:58 am »
Why Europeans hate Merica' so much  :'(

It's the cool thing to do in Europe these days. I'd say it's the new fad, similarly to pretending to be progressive and open minded while actually being incredibly reactionary. Euros are great.

Offline junedragon

• Colonel
  • Nr2, 29th, PLG, 63e, Team Canada, 4eme
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 29, 2015, 07:09:30 am »
A disgrace, saying the civil war was to abolish slavery is like saying WW2 was to save Jews, as if wars are ever that simple. So many more people have died and been enslaved under the Union flag and it's cherished by ignorant people.
I think the most simple way to explain why the Civil War started was because of the slavery, or at least the most "humane". Instead of saying all the other stuff about the diferences between the North and the South.

That post made my inner historian cry a little bit. That's like saying we should disregard every major factor that lead to World War 2 and just look at anti-semitism/the Holocaust. Trying to simplify extremely complex backgrounds of major events to that extent is impossible and counterproductive.

Also: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallacy_of_the_single_cause

On another matter:
Instead of banning a fucking flag, They should ban their retarded gun use for civilians, Might get somewhere then. Yanks.......

Pretty much yes. I would assume flags doesnt kill ppl, even in the hands of extremely stupid ppl. But guns on the other hand...
True, but thats another topic :P

That's it. I'm making a thread.
Why am I still here

Offline Nipplestockings

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 29, 2015, 07:10:45 am »
Do it.

Offline junedragon

• Colonel
  • Nr2, 29th, PLG, 63e, Team Canada, 4eme
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 29, 2015, 07:58:18 am »
Do it.

https://www.fsegames.eu/forum/index.php?topic=24683.msg1063944#msg1063944

Anyway, back on topic:

To sum it all up, this whole thing feels like a misled knee jerk reaction to a tragic situation that serves only to distract us even further from the core issues.
Why am I still here

Offline DarthTaco

• Major
  • Modding merc at your service!
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 30, 2015, 12:26:45 am »
This thread is TL:DR. Banning is the typical knee-jerk reaction to something you disagree with because it make's a sensational story to distract people from the actual scary shit in the world. It's an oppression of free speech, end of story.

Offline HawkonPC

• Captain
  • 4e Hussard's Amateur Brigadier
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 30, 2015, 12:56:07 am »
I will give my genuine beliefs now

I am a Confederate reenactor, so you could say i am biased, but i would argue i simply know my stuff (take that as you will!). I will not debate who was right in the war, nor will i debate the causes and what principles were followed etc.

You cannot hide away from the fact that the Confederacy IS part of history, history is something that cannot be erased. Denying history only leads to it being repeated and leads to distortion in historical accounts- something that should be kept as unbiased as possible- something unavoidable.

Many Southerners are trying to deny their history and many are trying to keep it, to be proud of it. Other Americans from the north need to simply learn to respect this, despite the fact that they may see it is treasonous or something. My country has had civil wars in the past and recently part of it has tried to break away, yet i do not judge these people one bit, i respect it.

You may not like the Confederacy, you may think it stands for slavery and treason or whatever. However it is part of history and while it should be flown or not in government places is one issue. The complete banning of it- the denial of the history is possible one of the worst things i can possibly imagine and renders the US no better than Communist governments that have done the same- denied history.

okay, rant over, HAWK OUT!

Offline MaxLam

• Colonel
  • Founder of Minisiege, EU_Commander & Mininaval
    • View Profile
    • Napoleonic Wars Public
« Reply #149 on: June 30, 2015, 02:50:01 am »
Junedragon's "inner historian" is comparing German Jews to American Negros.

Germany 1933: 500,000+ Jews, 67 million inhabitants = 0.75%
Conclusion: It would be stupid indeed to believe that the Jewish question was the main cause of the war.

Confederate population: 9 million inhabitants, 3,500,000 black slaves = 39%
Conclusion: It would be stupid to deny that slavery, which was the main mode of production in the South, wasn't the "cornerstorne" of the problem as Confederate vice-president Stephens admitted in his speech:

http://teachingamericanhistory.org/library/document/cornerstone-speech/

Since the mode of production in the South was completely different and clearly backkward, war was inevitable. Saying that there is other causes for the American Civil War, denying the importance and primacy of slavery, would be like saying that the assassination of Archduke Ferdinand was the main cause for WWI.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 03:31:58 am by MaxLam »