Author Topic: 'How could a mod die so fast' - It's not.  (Read 8452 times)

Offline arrowkid

• Volunteer
  • AZW admin
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
'How could a mod die so fast' - It's not.
« on: March 29, 2014, 11:39:54 am »
I know that mods always have a shelf life, but there was so much buzz and anticipation for almost two years for this
two or three times the release date was put off,  there was so much hype

Barring the lag, it wasnt even that bad a mod, i just cant understand how with so much hype and enthusiasm, a player base could go from huge to meh, to non existen almost within a matter of weeks, and it literally is a matter of weeks, because two weeks from launch, i was struggling to see a server with over 30 players on it.

Very sad, and i think the devs know that bringing out a patch with improvements, isnt going to magically bring everybody back.

I personally think its human nature, people are like sheep, when one person goes everybody just goes.

Sigh, its like anglo zulu i mean that mod in itself was like its own game, it was so addictive, why the hell people just leave is beyond me, it was anything but boring.

I think the mount blade player base have the attention span of a goldfish, that is the only logical explanation
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 01:31:21 am by Baillie »
what iron europe needs:
more animations . louder longer whistles. motorbikes (simply retexture boats, add sound and make them useable on ground, easy to do). spawns fixed. less range on the sniper rifle . less accuracy on pistol . more factions.

Offline DanyEle

• Board Moderator
  • Sssh! I'm coding, don't disturb :D
    • View Profile
  • Nick: DanyEle
  • Side: Confederacy
Re: How could a mod die so fast
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 02:14:01 pm »
Oh well if we started talking about the Human nature, there would be lots of things to say about it. By the way, no matter how many players will play or are playing our mod, we, Iron Europe developers, aren't discouraged by the fact that most servers are empty. Instead, we'll keep working on it, adding new content and features, hoping somebody might still find our mod fun. Infact, a patch is coming out this weekend.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 02:39:16 pm by DanyEle »

Offline lolman1c

• Sergeant Major
  • Royal Engineers Commander and IE Dev
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 03:31:58 pm »
Oh well if we started talking about the Human nature, there would be lots of things to say about it. By the way, no matter how many players will play or are playing our mod, we, Iron Europe developers, aren't discouraged by the fact that most servers are empty. Instead, we'll keep working on it, adding new content and features, hoping somebody might still find our mod fun. Infact, a patch is coming out this weekend.

That's why I love you guys and know the mod will be like m&m and get really popular! And it isn't like it is fully dead... My regiment are still going to big events that we love and have fun with! Once you bring out some more factions and the game is fully made with everything you have planned (like regiments and not just stereotype soldiers or even tanks in the end) The game will be brought to life as people have more choice of regiments and style of play. Keep up the good work and if you ever need any help just msg me!

Offline SeanBeansShako

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 04:04:20 pm »
NW is coming up to the 2nd year since release a few months time, Warband is several years old. Players eventually move onto different games, some players have really high expectations when it comes to this community and mods and get burned out quickly if they aren't met.

Plus this community mostly thrieves on some forts of mass organised events one of the current weaknesses right now for Iron Europe.

NW really needs more regular price cuts with the DLC on STEAM or the price to be decreased by half. I expect when the patch that sorts out latency issues comes out numbers will increase enough to give Iron Europe a small but solid and stable community.

Offline arrowkid

• Volunteer
  • AZW admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2014, 05:47:33 pm »
NW is coming up to the 2nd year since release a few months time, Warband is several years old. Players eventually move onto different games, some players have really high expectations when it comes to this community and mods and get burned out quickly if they aren't met.

Plus this community mostly thrieves on some forts of mass organised events one of the current weaknesses right now for Iron Europe.

NW really needs more regular price cuts with the DLC on STEAM or the price to be decreased by half. I expect when the patch that sorts out latency issues comes out numbers will increase enough to give Iron Europe a small but solid and stable community.

Yeh i buy my games stand alone off gamersgate and ive only seen two sales on napoleanic war since the summer,
they have sales almost every weekend, and over christmas they had sales on almost every single game except nw, why i do not know.

I also know a ton of people who play warband but dont play nw, why i dont know but they think its too hard to get or too expensive, which asks the question how the heck did they get warband then..  sigh i will never understand this world
what iron europe needs:
more animations . louder longer whistles. motorbikes (simply retexture boats, add sound and make them useable on ground, easy to do). spawns fixed. less range on the sniper rifle . less accuracy on pistol . more factions.

Offline lolman1c

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2014, 08:46:10 pm »

Yeh i buy my games stand alone off gamersgate and ive only seen two sales on napoleanic war since the summer,
they have sales almost every weekend, and over christmas they had sales on almost every single game except nw, why i do not know.

I also know a ton of people who play warband but dont play nw, why i dont know but they think its too hard to get or too expensive, which asks the question how the heck did they get warband then..  sigh i will never understand this world

All of this might factor into it... I think this update wich will fix lag might help, plus the British is going  to produce a billion new regiments.

Offline Betaknight

• Major
  • To Protect and To Serve
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Betaknight
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2014, 10:32:27 pm »
I hope the brits win the battle for us :)
We are working hard on the british, might have to ask Rigadoon about a few Suggestions to be included. We'll see.
Thanks for the support though guys, those who stayed, those that didn't, I understand why and I still love you.
The first modder for NW.

Offline lolman1c

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2014, 11:09:01 pm »
I hope the brits win the battle for us :)
We are working hard on the british, might have to ask Rigadoon about a few Suggestions to be included. We'll see.
Thanks for the support though guys, those who stayed, those that didn't, I understand why and I still love you.

As I say just keep hard on work on them brits and by sure you will win the rest over! I'm in a Finish regiment that fought on the German side during ww1 so that is cool but I see very little French regiments.. Nothing against the French myself but there is a lot of discrimination and misunderstanding about ww1 France. Totally need to add them scots though!

Offline Grimsight

• Donator
  • ᴅɪꜱʀᴇꜱᴩᴇᴄᴛ_Yᴏᴜʀ_ᴍᴇᴍᴇꜱ
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 3eVolt
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2014, 05:18:24 am »
These mods need a clear goal, or place for progression. The reason a mod like CRPG is popular is because when you play you are working towards a goal or some gain in the end. None of the mods we see for NW have that. They are simply play for fun, and when the fun is over you stop playing. And that fun generally lasts 2 weeks its seems. If there is no goal to work up to while you play, then there is no longevity. The only reason NW gets by this way is because the community is large enough where you can make goals like tapping into the large recruit pool, or being part of the competitive melee community.

A game like Iron Europe has next to no recruits running around, simple aiming mechanics, and has little payoff for actually practicing. What is going to keep people playing public servers when the initial fun has worn off?

Offline arrowkid

• Volunteer
  • AZW admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2014, 08:18:59 am »
The fact that the mod has been dead for a month now, and only now a patch has come out, doesnt help

Also, ive been ridiculed.. called a troll and all sorts of names simply because i questioned why the surrender animation wasnt included despite it being the first suggestion.

Ive been given every insult under the sun because i dared question it, when in fact there is no actual explanation, its laziness.
what iron europe needs:

Offline Commissar Jdf

• General
    • View Profile
  • Nick: USMC_Maj_CommissarJdf
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2014, 08:29:49 am »
Let's nitpick the devs first. You have a mod that isn't completely finished or polished, so that really struck the playerbase hard. It can't be perfect though, especially at first. Ample time must be given in order for it to be okay. Remember, it is a MOD. I thought it was fine and playable. 100 man events were fun. :)

The playerbase though...my God. Everyone wants instant gratification.

Oh wait, IE came out today? What factions? Germany and Fran---fuck where's UK, give it now. I am not playing until it's out. I want moooar mooar MOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR

That is the problem.

Offline Rigadoon

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Rigadoon
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2014, 09:28:45 am »
The fact that the mod has been dead for a month now, and only now a patch has come out, doesnt help

Also, ive been ridiculed.. called a troll and all sorts of names simply because i questioned why the surrender animation wasnt included despite it being the first suggestion.

Ive been given every insult under the sun because i dared question it, when in fact there is no actual explanation, its laziness.

I don't get why you're so infatuated with the idea that the first suggestion is the first suggestion developers should start implementing. There is absolutely no link between when a suggestion was posted and the quality of the suggestion. More First suggestion =/= Vital suggestion. Get that through your thick skull.

And please, don't pretend you're the victim here. You've completely twisted what actually happened and you know it. You first expressed your dismay at the lack of a surrender animation in this post. Nobody insulted you for that since it was a pretty harmless post, no need for anybody to get worked up. Then you post this calling the team lazy despite the fact that we just released a patch containing new classes, weapons, uniforms, and performance enhancements, which is a massive insult towards the team which has spent free time in the creation of the mod and the patch for your entertainment. Only then did people start to call you a troll. Do you see the problem here? You call other people lazy, disrespect their work, and you're crying that people insulted you? Again, you're not the victim, you started it.

Here's the big secret, I also want the surrender animation in the mod. Shocker, right? We've been trying to find time to get it in but it kept getting pushed to the side due to us working on more important features that we're hoping will keep the mod alive longer. It has nothing to do with laziness, but we both already know that, as we wouldn't have released a patch with a bunch of new content if it did. If you just stated your opinion on the lack of the surrender animation in a rational manner, I would've been glad to listen and perhaps put more priority on it. But no, you chose to attack the mod team and its efforts, then cry about being bullied.

Offline Superbad

• Ros the whore of Winterfell
  • Donator
  • Nothing gold can stay...
    • View Profile
  • Nick: SuperbadV
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2014, 09:36:14 am »
Spoiler

I don't get why you're so infatuated with the idea that the first suggestion is the first suggestion developers should start implementing. There is absolutely no link between when a suggestion was posted and the quality of the suggestion. More First suggestion =/= Vital suggestion. Get that through your thick skull.

And please, don't pretend you're the victim here. You've completely twisted what actually happened and you know it. You first expressed your dismay at the lack of a surrender animation in this post. Nobody insulted you for that since it was a pretty harmless post, no need for anybody to get worked up. Then you post this calling the team lazy despite the fact that we just released a patch containing new classes, weapons, uniforms, and performance enhancements, which is a massive insult towards the team which has spent free time in the creation of the mod and the patch for your entertainment. Only then did people start to call you a troll. Do you see the problem here? You call other people lazy, disrespect their work, and you're crying that people insulted you? Again, you're not the victim, you started it.

Here's the big secret, I also want the surrender animation in the mod. Shocker, right? We've been trying to find time to get it in but it kept getting pushed to the side due to us working on more important features that we're hoping will keep the mod alive longer. It has nothing to do with laziness, but we both already know that, as we wouldn't have released a patch with a bunch of new content if it did. If you just stated your opinion on the lack of the surrender animation in a rational manner, I would've been glad to listen and perhaps put more priority on it. But no, you chose to attack the mod team and its efforts, then cry about being bullied.
[close]

I couldn't agree more, Rigadoon. Making the mod better is first, then the small little "fun" add-ons. Patience is a virtue! Also, just installed the new patch. :P

Offline arrowkid

• Volunteer
  • AZW admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2014, 09:58:26 am »

Here's the big secret, I also want the surrender animation in the mod. Shocker, right? We've been trying to find time to get it in but it kept getting pushed to the side due to us working on more important features that we're hoping will keep the mod alive longer. It has nothing to do with laziness, but we both already know that, as we wouldn't have released a patch with a bunch of new content if it did. If you just stated your opinion on the lack of the surrender animation in a rational manner, I would've been glad to listen and perhaps put more priority on it.

I`m sorry its just so frustrating and i think the lack of role play features like surrender or the fact that when you play gramaphone you cant move, just make the game feel much more scripted and less open world
one of the reasons why many people stayed on for zulu mod even almost a year after most of the player base went, is because it had that role playing open world element,
iron europe is just kill, be killed and thats it
you cant really do firing squads or surrender or play music or anything in it, even the whistle which is supposed to rally the troops is just a low pitched beep that you can barely hear which lasts 2 seconds, its just really hard to troop train and stuff like this.

and yes, it really does not take more than 5 minutes to put surrender in

im asuming and this is without looking at the source code, that anim_surrender was left out, well its simple, you just put it back in, and whatever key you replaced it with, select the script.. delete and put in the original script from nw, job done.
ps if its a case of the p is used for something like fix bayonet then fine, remove fix bayonet no big deal
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 10:05:17 am by arrowkid »
what iron europe needs:

Offline Gokiller

• Almost Pride of Ni
  • Major General
  • Bydand in the chat lads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2014, 01:52:12 pm »
ps if its a case of the p is used for something like fix bayonet then fine, remove fix bayonet no big deal
Just get out.