Author Topic: Add: Infamy and Renown  (Read 6482 times)

Offline Chris_the_Animal

• Private
  • The one and only Black member of 3tes_IR
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Chris
  • Side: Neutral
Add: Infamy and Renown
« on: November 19, 2013, 09:48:49 pm »
Dear Community,
I would like to have an Infamy and Renown System in this Forum. This Idea comes from the cRPG Forum (which is a mod for M&B) and its very much loved there.

What is this?
The Infamy and Renown System gives the opportunity to everyone to Upvote or Downvote a Post. So when somebody does a suggestion he would like to discuss about (like I am just doing) the people could give him a small sign via giving the Post a "+" or a "-". As simple as that, he? Of course everyone can only vote the posts of others and not his own one and everyone can only upvote or downvote a post with a vote. So you cant give 10 "+" to someone. But you should be able to change your vote afterwards, so when you see this suggestion goes somewhere else you want it to go to you can give the Post a "-" also you upvoted it at first. Also every single post should be able to get upvoted or downvoted, not only the topic starting post so people can agree with someone elses argument without writing "i agree". The "+"s are called "Renown" and the "-"s are called "Infamy" in the Forum I got this idea from. When a Post gets upvoted the Poster seems to be a clever guy, so why dont we give him something for this. In real life i would give him a cookie but in the forum I would give him something that makes him appear as someone worthful.
Here is a Screenshot what shows it pretty good:
It shows Templar_Steevee, a very old member of the communty who is a nice and helpful guy. He made an Archery Guide for beginners of cRPG-Mod and therefor he gained much "Renown" (top right corner). The List of players who up- or downvoted his post can be opened and closed with clicking on the mini-person right next to the "+-" buttons. As he already made alot of other threads he gained some more renown, but also he gained some infamy. This is shown right under his Profile Pic. The Green and Red bar with the called numbers can make someone appear a helpful person or show the troll someone wants to be with a huge red bar and only a small green bar.
Spoiler
[close]

I think its not to hard to implement this system into the Forum and it would remove the boredom of posting here, because you gain something for working with the community and bringing it forward.

Thanks for Reading and please discuss,
Chris
The one and only Black member of 3tes_IR.
Think twice before opening any Spoiler i made.

Offline Kalitorian

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Kalitorian
  • Side: Union
Re: Add: Infamy and Renown
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 09:56:14 pm »
+1

ಠ_ಠ "Ich bin bereit jederzeit und allerorts meine Pflicht zu erfüllen, nur nicht heute, nur nicht hier."

Offline Nipplestockings

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 10:00:42 pm »
This has been suggested before. Certainly not. Upvotes and downvotes create attention whoring and degrade from the quality of posts, because people stop caring about actually having discussions and center all their posts around trying to pick up the more upvotes. This has happened on reddit, facepunch, and a few other sites, and it completely destroys everything good about the forum.

it would remove the boredom of posting here, because you gain something for working with the community and bringing it forward.

You mean instead of making it so people type out responses as to why they agree or disagree with something, they'll just click a button? That sure will bring the community together. If you consider that more interesting, then I don't know what to tell you.

Offline Chris_the_Animal

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 10:16:06 pm »
The Forum Rules are pretty strict and its almost impossible to be an attention whore.
The reason ti implement this is, because people like Kalitorian would not have to just write that they agree with my suggestion, but they could just +1 my post. That shows if the community is interested in what the poster wrote.
Would you just have downvoted my post without writing what you wrote? I dont think so, because people want to share their opinion when its not already said by someone else.
I am just wondering why I have to read the same argumentation about some things about 3 or 4 times in threads that suggest something. Or there are even more posts, saying that the poster likes the stuff someone else wrote. The Renown and Infamy System would make it alot easier to agree or disagree with someone. And if you would like to say why you agreed or disagreed with someones post, you can still do it.
The cRPG Forum got this System since I joined it and the community is still alive :)

MagicTeatowel

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 10:17:02 pm »
Nah m9, its not for mi.

Offline Chris_the_Animal

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 11:00:08 pm »
not everyone gotta like it, but i cant be the only one  :'(

Offline Menelaos

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 11:01:34 pm »

Silly duck, you have infamy on you already.

Offline Chris_the_Animal

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2013, 11:11:45 pm »

Perfect example.

There we got someone who doesnt give any constructiveness into this discussion and at the same time insults the poster. He would get "-" now. In other threads people would see now that he must be some kind of not nice person or not really helpful person and its easier to sort out what posts are important to read

Offline Nipplestockings

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2013, 12:00:05 am »

Perfect example.

There we got someone who doesnt give any constructiveness into this discussion and at the same time insults the poster. He would get "-" now. In other threads people would see now that he must be some kind of not nice person or not really helpful person and its easier to sort out what posts are important to read

But that's just pointless and already happens anyway, in different forms. Looking at a poster's infamy or renown level to judge them without actually reading their posts is a horrible idea, especially because a user who doesn't like another user could just downvote all their posts to artificially give them a high infamy level. On the flip side, someone could make alts or get people to upvote him repeatedly, thus artificially making him look better. If people use these indicators to judge a user at face value, it could make things very bad. This already happens on reddit to a large degree and it's seriously degraded the quality of the site.

Offline Rejenorst

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2013, 12:47:13 am »
I could imagine people having infamy wars to get back at each other lol
Spoiler

[close]

Offline TheBoberton

• Knight of Blueberry
  • Colonel
  • I don't want no pardon for anything I done
    • View Profile
    • Thomas' Steam Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2013, 01:55:48 am »
Wait, if I dislike someone enough, could I just go and add infamy to all of their posts? If I disliked, for example, Nipplestockings, could I give him 1919 infamy, assuming I am willing to waste hours of time?

I have made posts in threads that contribute very little, but also make posts in different threads that contribute quite a lot. Should my opinion be ignored because I failed to provide enough insight on a certain topic that I might not be entirely familiar with? And God forbid you piss off one of the larger regiments in the community; you'd end up with such a high infamy that it'd be rather obvious what happened, but many would ignore you regardless.

The whole idea is rather silly, and would just turn into a popularity contest.

Offline Nipplestockings

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2013, 02:01:29 am »
Wait, if I dislike someone enough, could I just go and add infamy to all of their posts? If I disliked, for example, Nipplestockings, could I give him 1919 infamy, assuming I am willing to waste hours of time?

Yes, I think that is what he was saying. Hmm, that's actually rather interesting. I sort of want infamy for every single one of my posts - would be quite the feat. #absoluteworstposteronfse

Offline Matthew

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • ლ(◕◡◕ლ) oly gaym y u heff 2 b med
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Matthew ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2013, 02:12:12 am »
They had this system on the K-KA enjin forums, pretty much everything got downvoted untill users had triple digit infamy. Seeing as how much people in this community care about imaginary internet ranks with people going so far as to auto refresh their browser to get the higher forum ranks. I find the idea that the value of someones posts can be easily calculated and aggregated using a number under their name to be fairly "ambious"...

(But then I would like to punish all the morons who think it's ok to reply with just emoticons or quote entire conversations.)
"A Boss in Heaven is the best excuse for a boss on earth, therefore If God did exist, he would have to be abolished." - Mikhail Bakunin
"Dispassionate, fair, equal"
Oh you wanted a serious response, why didn't you just say so.
b2e98ad6f6eb8508dd6a14cfa704bad7f05f6fb

Offline Death by EMP

• Major
  • Crunch, forever and always
    • View Profile
  • Nick: CRUNCH
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2013, 04:25:09 am »
I +1 this suggestion simply because I want to -1 everyone's post who spam regiment forums with retarded pointless posts then brag that they have 3k posts like somebody has actually enjoyed or found their 3k posts interesting/ entertaining or useful.

Offline Desert Thunda

• Colonel
  • u wish u knew
    • View Profile
  • Nick: K-KA_Commissar_DesertThunda
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2013, 07:38:34 am »
I +1 this suggestion simply because I want to -1 everyone's post who spam regiment forums with retarded pointless posts then brag that they have 3k posts like somebody has actually enjoyed or found their 3k posts interesting/ entertaining or useful.

:'( But 90% of the Regiment sub board is filled with useless and pointless posts.

Anyway, won't this increase e-peen wars? Atleast delete the post counts and focus on the infamy system more IMO.