Author Topic: Are "old gen" players really better than new gens?  (Read 9227 times)

Offline ~NickCole~

• Brigadier General
  • Your nans
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 093
  • Side: Confederacy
Re: Are "old gen" players really better than new gens?
« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2019, 12:48:12 am »
Are we going to ignore the fact that in the Old vs New Gen 1v1 the New gens got smacked?!?!?!? Also Lawbringer being a older player I thought you would side with the old gens but guess not.

True, old gen did win that gf and I was in it playing for Old Gens. I think however this is unrelated to what my actual claim is, which would be that on average, new gen players improve faster and have a higher skill ceiling than old gen players during their era.

That groupfight essentially, is not representative of the overall constituencies, as it was full of old gen players who continually played up until that point. Such a groupfighting would have been represented if we took the old gen players and threw in more retired ones during their skill of the old era, and pitted them against new gens in current era.

If you subtract all current old gen players from modern day or 1-2 years ago and pitted them against a 2013 team, they would likely win.

You go back to 2012-14 videos and no one can block or even has knowledge of groupfighting tactics.
I mean Havoc & Windlife came back after not playing since 2013 & were both top 25 players on NA last year. They knew everything the new gens did but were just rusty. If you got Old gens to play tonight & not warm up then they would probably get r3kt but if you gave them a week to prep they will easily do well against the best new gens nowadays.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 01:29:31 am by -Nick »

Offline Ry@n

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • 18th_Col
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Nick:Nick:Nick:Nick:
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2019, 01:34:57 am »
Depends how you define old and new, of course old gens think they're better where as newgens tend to not care how long anyone has played.... Old gen players use it as a 'one up' on people who can compete with them :)

MATT123456789

« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2019, 01:36:17 am »
old gens would get destroyed nowadays in a groupfight with how good me and a few others have gotten (jaax, phil)

Offline Godsworn Alexiel

• Corporal
  • peepochrist
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2019, 01:42:29 am »
Are we going to ignore the fact that in the Old vs New Gen 1v1 the New gens got smacked?!?!?!? Also Lawbringer being a older player I thought you would side with the old gens but guess not.

True, old gen did win that gf and I was in it playing for Old Gens. I think however this is unrelated to what my actual claim is, which would be that on average, new gen players improve faster and have a higher skill ceiling than old gen players during their era.

That groupfight essentially, is not representative of the overall constituencies, as it was full of old gen players who continually played up until that point. Such a groupfighting would have been represented if we took the old gen players and threw in more retired ones during their skill of the old era, and pitted them against new gens in current era.

If you subtract all current old gen players from modern day or 1-2 years ago and pitted them against a 2013 team, they would likely win.

You go back to 2012-14 videos and no one can block or even has knowledge of groupfighting tactics.
I mean Havoc & Windlife came back after not playing since 2013 & were both top 25 players on NA last year. They knew everything the new gens did but were just rusty. If you got Old gens to play tonight & not warm up then they would probably get r3kt but if you gave them a week to prep they will easily do well against the best new gens nowadays.

idk who windlife is but I remember when havoc came back he wasn't that good for a while. He was mediocre good and I consistently beat him in duels (before they nerfed my turk kick and feint chamber style) more around the time 2ndQF got started up again, which was around a few weeks/2 months since he came back. The dude played A LOT and then reached upper tiers. The dude had like 100 hours in the past 2 weeks ish consistently which brought him back up. Point being that he played a lot to catch up.
i can deadlift 700 pounds

chadlite in training

Offline Theodin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 71st Guard MEME POLICE
« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2019, 02:39:39 am »
old gens would get destroyed nowadays in a groupfight with how good me and a few others have gotten (jaax, phil)
that's because most of that old gen team doesn't play anymore

1x NA Duel- Runner up |  3x 3v3- 3rd place (Seadderol Deflatriots) (Ez Money) (71st Guards + Russian) | 1x Duel League- 4th place | 1x Regimental Groupfighting- 1st place (71st)  l  1x 2v2- 3rd Place (Vortex/Theodin) | TNWL Season 2 - 1st Place l 1x 2v2- 1st Place (Theodin/Elite) l 2x NANWL-
 71st, Nr8(LG) l 1x 4v4- 1st Place (RussianFury, Waste, NickCole, Theodin) l 1x Cav Joust- 2nd Place l 1x 4v4-
 3rd Place (Theodin, AsianP, Sleek, Godfried, Lurvy) l 1x 5v5 - 1st Place (RussianFury, Yoshie, Krastinov, Jorge, Theodin - Thanos and his children)

Offline sidney crosby

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 14, 2019, 02:58:46 am »
New gens are all excelling STEM majors while old gens are entering their mid life crisis in their 20s due to their bodies deteriorating from blue collar work

Offline MikeyBruh

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Multi Region Choker GVT Gang Member
« Reply #51 on: June 14, 2019, 03:49:19 am »
Doesn't matter how new or old gen you are, Just how epicly you game and what norwood you have. Dont @ me thats pure fax
Also, I'm not friends with HiReaper, dudes a complete weirdo

MATT123456789

« Reply #52 on: June 14, 2019, 04:14:40 am »
Doesn't matter how new or old gen you are, Just how epicly you game and what norwood you have. Dont @ me thats pure fax

to piggyback off what mikey said

Offline ManiacBullseye

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Maniac
« Reply #53 on: June 14, 2019, 04:45:41 pm »

That's a terrible excuse. For instance, I joined my first reg in 2013 but didn't branch out into competitive until about 2016, by then most old gens were leaving or already gone. By now, a lot of "new gens" have been playing the game as long as old gens had played the game in terms of hours played, and groupfighting has evolved a lot since 2016.

That being said, I prefer playing with "old gen" players because their personalities are typically more fun to be around. I know a lot of people who are left in this community like to put mostly "old gens" on their all-time lists but if we are being real, "new gens" outstripped them long ago.

Somebody mentioned in a previous comment that being able to chamber was considered pretty high-skill in the old days. This is a good point because in 2019 pretty much everybody in the competitive scene chambers like it is second nature or a habit. Not to mention the meta has evolved, somewhat mimicing the EU playstyle. Ranging has become pretty meta in the last couple years, something I don't remember too many "old gens" being too adept at.

Offline McPero

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • 17e 5-4 92nd
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 14, 2019, 05:05:41 pm »

That's a terrible excuse. For instance, I joined my first reg in 2013 but didn't branch out into competitive until about 2016, by then most old gens were leaving or already gone. By now, a lot of "new gens" have been playing the game as long as old gens had played the game in terms of hours played, and groupfighting has evolved a lot since 2016.

That being said, I prefer playing with "old gen" players because their personalities are typically more fun to be around. I know a lot of people who are left in this community like to put mostly "old gens" on their all-time lists but if we are being real, "new gens" outstripped them long ago.

Somebody mentioned in a previous comment that being able to chamber was considered pretty high-skill in the old days. This is a good point because in 2019 pretty much everybody in the competitive scene chambers like it is second nature or a habit. Not to mention the meta has evolved, somewhat mimicing the EU playstyle. Ranging has become pretty meta in the last couple years, something I don't remember too many "old gens" being too adept at.
Can't know about NA but for EU chambering was just a standard thing for every player that played in tournaments. It was maybe considered high skill in some less skilled regiments amongst 'casual' players. The best ranging player was probably Evan who was using it extensively ever since I saw him play. He was using it a lot. But then again EU is just 100 years ahead of NA (apart from Mexico).

MATT123456789

« Reply #55 on: June 14, 2019, 05:08:19 pm »

Can't know about NA but for EU chambering was just a standard thing for every player that played in tournaments. It was maybe considered high skill in some less skilled regiments amongst 'casual' players. The best ranging player was probably Evan who was using it extensively ever since I saw him play. He was using it a lot. But then again EU is just 100 years ahead of NA (apart from Mexico).

you guys are fucking dumbasses like legit holy shit you fcuking sweaty nerds have 5 ping and you make ft5's last 2 fucking hours

Offline Smylie

• Captain
  • Cool Kid
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Smylie
« Reply #56 on: June 14, 2019, 05:49:30 pm »
NA = autistic brother of EU (apart from Anthony)

Offline Windflower

• General
  • ex PSG, 30th
    • View Profile
    • my jam
  • Side: Union
« Reply #57 on: June 14, 2019, 06:06:07 pm »
Whoever is currently sinking the most hours into the game is going to be the better player. Though old gens have always won the new gen vs old gen battle. Old gens that return the game tend not to do as well as they were in their prime simply because they aren't as dedicated to the game at getting better and who can blame them.

NAPL season 1 saw the greatest regiment winning
ribbit 🐸 cute? 😳 im not cute 😓 i mean my parents 👨‍👩‍👧 call me cute ☺️ but honestly 👉👈 ive never ❌ heard it 👂 from someone else 🗣 before 🥰 thanks i guess? 😳

Offline Sgt.Winters

• Captain
  • Wut
    • View Profile
  • Nick: look at me
« Reply #58 on: June 14, 2019, 06:46:06 pm »
Old gens are shit and new gens are cheeks there case closed lock the thread lets go out for a drink or somethin'

Offline Runepkyz

• Major
  • Hey, How are you! Best EU.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: PonyBoy
« Reply #59 on: June 14, 2019, 06:56:32 pm »

I wonder what SICK ass regiment you joined in 2k13.
8=====================D ~ ~ ~ ~