Author Topic: Re-enactment Portfolio  (Read 5722 times)

Offline GodsonGuys

• Second Lieutenant
  • The 1st Cavalry and Infantry Regiment is Recruitin
    • View Profile
  • Nick: [1stCI
  • Side: Neutral
Re-enactment Portfolio
« on: October 01, 2013, 03:20:57 pm »
Hey Guys. Just thought It would be good and interesting seeing some re-enactors portfolios, who they re-enact as and the things like that.

Period:
Name:
Backstory:

Example:
Spoiler
Period: World War 2
Name: Gunther Hermann
Regiment: 5th SS Wiking Division
Backstory: Born on the 4th May, 1926, to Mathäus Hermann and Lotte Hermann in Eastern Germany. He was always getting into Fights at school and was notorious around for stealing. His Father signed up to the German Army in 1939 and died later that Year. Gunther felt sad and wished to avenge his Fathers' death. When he was 16, he looked as though he was 18, and passed bootcamp without anyone noticing.

[close]
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 03:32:11 pm by [1stCI:Col] GodsonGuys »
Mother Führer Gentlemen -

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • This blamed fight aint got a rear
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
Re: Re-enactment Portfolio
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 08:42:21 pm »
Period: ACW
Name: Cook
Regiment: 10th Illinois Co H and Austin Battalion Sharpshooter. Co A
Backstory: I have 4 confederate soldier and two union soldier in my family history. I am deeply interested in this because simply of the tactic and the battlefield preserved today enable us to feel and understand the clash. God I love this hobby.

2nd thingy stuff
Period: WW2
Name: Dietrich Lang
Regiment: 984 Grenadier Regiment - 275 infanterie Division.
Backstory: great grandpa was in Navy -u boat and my family is primarily German and ww2 was my first interest in history when I was 10.

Offline Landrik

• First Lieutenant
  • Слава Україні!
    • View Profile
    • Infanterie-Regiment 208 (Reenacted)
  • Nick: Landrik
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 10:50:19 pm »
Period: ACW
Name: Douglas Landree
Regiment: 30th Virginia Militia Infantry Company A "Washington Guards"
Backstory: None much. Just fighting for the Old Dominion and the ground of his forefathers.

Period: WWI
Name: Dietrich Landrik
Regiment: Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 124 "König Wilhelm" (6. Württembergische) 3. Kompanie
Backstory: From Ravensburg, Dietrich had left behind a starving mother and three sisters while all of the men in his family were already serving. He survives in the trenches despite diseases, voracious artillery and mortar fire, and near constant raids from the French lines. He's been lucky to be quick on his feet and has served as a platoon runner often or joining in night time raids. He's already earned the coveted Iron Cross when during a raid he managed to capture a bunker filled with officers and staff single-handedly and return them and himself to friendly lines without incident.

Period: WWII
Name: Dietrich Landrik
Regiment: Infanterie-Regiment 208 - 3. Kompanie
Backstory: (I'm currently working on this)
Spoiler
Born and raised in Koblenz, Dietrich joined when the call to war was announced. He left his job at a workshop to join the infantry. After basic training he was stationed on the Siegfried line in Saarpfalz waiting for the war to come. The next year eventually came and the attack through France was ordered! He went with his unit through the Maginot Line, knocking out bunkers and warily treading across ground not knowing where the next MG nest would be. The experience of seeing the Luftwaffe in action and the shrieking dive bombers gave him a sense of invincibility. With France being conquered, his unit was stationed in Langres for the rest of the year being awarded the Westwall Medaille for their work on the Siegfried Line nearly a year ago.

After a peaceful Christmas in 1940 and Spring already well on the way, the unit was moved to Klagenfurt and then into Poland. Their gear was very much the same except some minor gear changes just like all the other infantry. A fateful operation began and his unit was pushed East... into Russia. Marching forward nearly everyday was tiring, but the speed of advance was amazing and because his unit was either on the flank or in the immediate reserves, they had to deal with POWs often. They then moved into Kiev and fought hard against the Russians all the way to Kharkov where Winter set in and many men froze or starved. It was a dark time for the unit, but they pulled through confident on final victory.

Spring brought mud in Russia and progress was slow for the army group. Dietrich and his comrades held their Winter positions and endured the bad conditions and sickness being spread around. They were awarded for their misery with a red medal many jokingly called the "Frozen Meat Medal". Dietrich and his comrades were very homesick and fought on with the determination that they'd be able to return home soon. It wasn't until June that they were able to move out with the rest of the Army onto Kupiansk and then the river Don - where they held in reserve yet again. With the battle for Stalingrad already well under way, his unit was thrown into the fury and factory works. He lost a lot of comrades there, and was himself flown out for his injuries. While in a hospital on the Don, he heard of the encirclement. Later, the fall. The winter was brutal and he had to relocate to Stalino where his Division was reformed. The heartbreak of his unit being effectively destroyed really impacted him and dealing with the constant flow of replacements to his "Phoenix Division" risen from the ashes was hard to bear. He was now considered an "Alten Hasen" or "Old Hare", grisled and callous.

Now that the Southern front had essentially collapsed, the units down in the Caucasus were being immediately drawn out and sent West. Dietrich and his unit held the Kuban bridgehead from constant Soviet attacks from both land and air. Despite the brutal fighting, his unit was able to hold the line and successfully held their ground. However, his unit had to be pulled back once Fall came around to rebuild behind the lines in Romania. His unit stayed there for some time, dealing with the high amount of partisan activity. Dietrich dodged another bullet when he went home for his first leave in nearly four years since the war started. While he was there he went to NCO school. His unit was turned on by the Romanians and were surrounded and destroyed.

Without a proper unit, Dietrich was stationed at a infantry school teaching recruits in weapon drills. At this time he was awarded the Kuban Shield and the Romanian Anti-Partisan Medal. To keep the name living on, his unit was reformed but now with very young and older men as well as Eastern Front veterans like himself. It was a task nearly every day for him to properly train the men in his unit on not even how to fight, but survive. When nearly everyone on the Westfront was being moved against the allies, his unit was moved past the Siegfried Line into Luxembourg. While the American airpower was away due to the weather, his unit sustained heavy casualties from artillery and not being able to dig into the frozen soil. They had to withdraw. With his Division in tatters and nearly only in name, he joined the rest of his surviving comrades with a SS-led battle group and fought against reconstituted French forces as well as Americans for a short time. Being pushed back nearly 100km south from where he was born and raised, him and many others surrendered to the Americans. It was March.
[close]

Period: Vietnam Conflict
Name: Douglas Landree
Regiment: 4th Infantry Division (We haven't chosen a Regiment or Company yet)
Backstory: None at the moment.
Humans are extremely complicated creatures. Death uncomplicates them to a frightening degree...

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 10:53:58 pm »
Vietnam reenacting? You're making a unit?

Offline Landrik

• First Lieutenant
  • Слава Україні!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 10:58:15 pm »
Yep. Two of the guys in my WWII unit have already started since I've been gone.

Spoiler
[close]

I'm excited to start singing the Mickey Mouse tune and being able to yell "Charlies in the wire!" while being mortared. It'll be a good mixture of protecting the firebase from attacks and going out on patrol to sniff out ambushes.
Humans are extremely complicated creatures. Death uncomplicates them to a frightening degree...

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 11:03:04 pm »
Based in Virginia any chance?

Offline Landrik

• First Lieutenant
  • Слава Україні!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 11:09:32 pm »
The two guys are from MD and I'll be in NC. The event is in Northern NC right off of I-95 about 40 miles from the VA/NC border. It's called Enfield.

This just past Vietnam event was the second one at that site and people are steadily improving. NVA and VC are looking better than last year and there's more leg infantry types instead of recon or SEAL types now. So next year when I do my first event there should be more regular US infantry. Down with the snowflakes! Only dog faced knuckle draggers!

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2013, 12:39:34 am »
Vietnam re-enactment.

I presume the 'setting-fire-to-thousands-of-acres-of-forrest'-part is not going to be re-enacted? Purely out of logistics difficulties, of course.  :P

Offline GodsonGuys

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2013, 12:48:39 am »
Have you got a chopper with speaker loud enough to play Ride of the Valkyrie?

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2013, 12:50:59 am »

This guy knows where it's at.

Offline GodsonGuys

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2013, 12:52:24 am »

This guy knows where it's at.

:P

;)

Offline Landrik

• First Lieutenant
  • Слава Україні!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2013, 03:19:23 am »

That's on the list, of course. :P Just need a good ol' Huey.

Vietnam re-enactment.

I presume the 'setting-fire-to-thousands-of-acres-of-forrest'-part is not going to be re-enacted? Purely out of logistics difficulties, of course.  :P

Everything has to start small. ;)

Offline Newkirk

• Colonel
  • 27th Relic
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Old Mr. Kirk
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2013, 03:22:02 am »
You ain't burning down my beautiful NC forests. Ain't happening son.

Offline Landrik

• First Lieutenant
  • Слава Україні!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2013, 09:57:20 am »
I've seen better pines.

Also, VA has superior trees.

Offline Newkirk

• Colonel
  • 27th Relic
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Old Mr. Kirk
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2013, 05:11:40 pm »
Perhaps, but I'm partial myself.