Author Topic: A historical night  (Read 8678 times)

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
A historical night
« on: May 01, 2013, 06:59:14 pm »
Now, we have a thread for food, kit, sutlers and all the like, but I suddenly found out we have no thread for how we sleep!

So, here it is! Share your stories, show pictures, explain preferences, and tell how you and group usually take their night rest! Tents, blankets, dog shelters, or is maybe nature your best friend? Tell tell!

I'll start with an explanation how stuff goes around here;

- For some reason the level of historical accurateness concerning sleeping is low, very low. I'm talking (modern) camp beds, sleeping bags, and in the worst case, some guy even has bungolawtents (of historical material, but that doesn't excuse it).

Especially a lot of people use camp beds. Now, there are cases where that's more then understandable, like with elder people, or those with bad backs. But there are plenty of people who are completely healthy but just don't feel like sleeping on straw. There are of course plenty of people who do use straw bags and woolen blankets.

- Historically, we didn't have tents. People either slept in the field around a campfire, rolled in a greatcoat and blanket, or quartered in a house. Officers of course had tents, and some armies did have them for the private soldiers, but the majority simply didn't. This may sound weird, but remember that military campaigns were not intended to carry on trough the winter - of course it happened, but it was not intended. I heard a few times that tents weren't issued in the French army unless the campaign was planned to be longer then 3 months and wouldn't end before summer did. People slept with about six to eight people in one tent - We usually do with 2 or three, and even then people complain it's so packed.

And how does your beloved Duuring take his nights? Well, for a long time I used a modern sleeping bag in the straw, but I've gone a little bit fed up with that - I want to get the real historically feeling. One event we made shelters in the wood, which was pretty fun. But I still had my modern sleeping bag...So last event, I only took a woolen blanket with me.
The weather dropped to just below freezing point during the night. I slept in a tent, in the straw, with everything on (that includes greatcoat, bonnet de police and shoes) and the woolen blanket. The first night I woke up because of the cold (I slept about 4 hours that night), but the 2nd one I tucked myself better in, and had better night. Still, it was cold, but I discovered there's some sort of advantage to that - When you wake up around 7 o'clock, the time to get moving, you're quite glad to get up and warm up.

So, it was cold, but knowing that I slept those nights almost the same as the real guys did, made it all worth it. These soldiers really had to, and could, get up in 10 minutes, ready to march.

Offline munky-wunky

• Captain
  • Oh, I'm a good old rebel, Now thats just what I am
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
Re: A historical night
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 07:05:34 pm »
I have an A frame tent but I  sleep next to the fire with a gum tarp and a wool blanket I use a log for a pillow and a nightcap. I the one who is always at the fire so I have the hearth keeper duty when the fire goes out I awake and get it going again. Also I'm normally up by 5am. And sometimes get the coffee going.
Spoiler
Welcome to FSE hun. Enjoy your stay on s.s. Duuring. Lifeboat is to be found on upper left corner as "log out". We wish you enjoy the journey. Thank you for choosing Dutch Sea For your vacation.
[close]

Offline Mr T

• Major General
  • Je Passe Quand Meme
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Mortier
  • Side: Union
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 08:04:50 pm »
I don't know what I'll do for my first event in terms of sleeping, though I have a woollen blanket I can use for future ones :D

Offline Dordak_the_Lost

• Donator
  • Faugh a Ballagh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 08:37:11 pm »
We generally try to do what the original guys did. Like at 150th Fredericksburg, we used A tents because the army was going into winter camp at the time. At other events, we use dog tents or no tents at all. It all depends on what the event calls for. Like at Maryland my Maryland, we were supposed to have dog tents for Friday night and bivouac near the cornfield on Saturday night.

Another example is the 150th McDowell reenactment. The army had been in the area for some time and would've had A tents. We set up camp just outside of town on Friday and the rebs camped somewhere like a mile or two away at the foot of a mountain. Saturday, we drilled, patrolled/got lost in the woods for hours, and then fought a battle. The script called for the union forces to flee through town while the confederates "captured" and slept in our camp. Meanwhile, the yankees would march to the base of Sitlington's Hill and camp on the mountainside with whatever they had with them.(No dog tents at that time period.) Then Sunday, we marched up to the top of the mountain and reenact the battle on original ground.

It was a very cool event. However, it rained pretty much non stop for the whole weekend so the confederates were offered the town gym to sleep in...  ???

The union guys were only given the option to stay in their own camp or camp on the mountain according to plan so at least we were authentic. About half stayed in camp and half went up and suffered on the mountain.

As a side note: the event was limited to about 500 hardcore reenactors with strict uniform standards so it was a great event.

Spoiler
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mJzJY6VkYg[/youtube]
[close]
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 04:01:01 am by Dordak_the_Lost »

Offline Landrik

• First Lieutenant
  • Слава Україні!
    • View Profile
    • Infanterie-Regiment 208 (Reenacted)
  • Nick: Landrik
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 10:11:42 pm »
For WWII, I've got the zeltbahn tent and sleep on the ground. However, I've also set up the zelt like a lean-to over a foxhole - just like how many of them did so back then.

WWI I don't have the tents or proper items to sleep out in the trenches or in the period camp. So I just sleep in my truck for now.

For ACW I sleep in an A-tent but I've also slept with my blanket and gum blanket.
Humans are extremely complicated creatures. Death uncomplicates them to a frightening degree...

Offline Millander

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 10:34:35 pm »
At my next event im planning on preparing myself for campaigning at the 150th gettysburg event. My plan is to only have the gum and wool blankets wraped in a roll. I plann on having my jacket and trowsers stuffed into my haversack and use that as a pillow while sleeping.

Any tips?
Of course, I also think lines should be able to move in double rank without having emotional breakdowns.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 10:36:42 pm »
Just keep all your stuff on. Much warmer then using it as a blanket.

Plus, getting up is sooo much easier and quicker.

Offline Millander

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2013, 10:52:59 pm »
Good idea my friend. Still thinking of a good pilllow type thing.
Of course, I also think lines should be able to move in double rank without having emotional breakdowns.

Offline munky-wunky

• Captain
  • Oh, I'm a good old rebel, Now thats just what I am
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2013, 11:37:54 pm »

pillows who needs pillows

BE A MAN, USE A LOG  :P
Spoiler
Welcome to FSE hun. Enjoy your stay on s.s. Duuring. Lifeboat is to be found on upper left corner as "log out". We wish you enjoy the journey. Thank you for choosing Dutch Sea For your vacation.
[close]

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • This blamed fight aint got a rear
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2013, 11:43:12 pm »

pillows who needs pillows

BE A MAN, USE A LOG  :P

Haven't done camping yet due to my age. But when I do take naps, I roll up my sack coat depending on weather or use my knapsack propped up against a tree.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2013, 11:56:16 pm »
Your age?

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2013, 12:11:29 am »
Your age?

I am 17 years old, my unit do not allow under 18 to camp. My Birthday is going to be at Gettysburg....soo that'll make it my first camping experience.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2013, 12:14:08 am »
Your age?

I am 17 years old, my unit do not allow under 18 to camp.

Wut? On what grounds?

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2013, 12:17:39 am »
Your age?

I am 17 years old, my unit do not allow under 18 to camp.

Wut? On what grounds?

Probably dont want take responsibility anyone under 18. Its a minor age in US.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2013, 12:25:58 am »
Yeah, so it is in the Netherlands. And I'm sure there are plenty of groups who DO allow it.

I mean, you can legally wield a gun but don't stay overnight? That's damn right ridiculous.