Author Topic: WW1 commemoration from a class angle, fuck nationalism.  (Read 12656 times)

Offline Augy

• Major General
  • Anarchist. Absurdist. Existentialist. Man. Human.
    • View Profile
    • The Royal Recruits
  • Nick: -[TRR]- Cpt. Augy
  • Side: Neutral
WW1 commemoration from a class angle, fuck nationalism.
« on: August 03, 2014, 04:03:07 pm »
In 1919, Britain came close to a workers’ and soldiers’ uprising. But it’s not a story the official WW1 commemoration wants to highlight

More here.
The truth behind Britain’s rush to war, 1914 - Douglas Newton
A German deserter's war experiences
A people's history of World War I - Howard Zinn
1918-1930: Mutiny and resistance in the Royal Navy
Anarchists before the military tribunals, 1914-1918
Why Blackadder Goes Forth could have been a lot funnier
1917: The Etaples mutiny- A short history of one of the early big mutinies of British troops in Europe as World War I came to an end.
Did teenage anarchists trigger World War I? What were the politics of the assassins of Franz Ferdinand on 28 June 1914?
The Origins of Nationalism in the Proletariat
World War I - further reading guide

some facts I like to drop:

WWII also could've have been stopped by the West before it even started. Going back decades, the United States and Japan had been pushing one another on who would control the Pacific for trading routes and oil. So Japan had been on the ups since 1931 with the invasion of Manchuria (for an anarchist perspective, look into the Shinmin Autonomous Region which was crushed by 31-32; we're talking huge confederation of autonomous villages), push its way against the Soviet Union, China, Indochina (controlled by the French), and Pacific islands.

The United States had ruled the Phillipines since 1900 or so, and they didn't exactly ask nicely. United States fears for its own colonies, embargoes Japan of oil, they get pissed and bring the US into World War II. And while the United States focuses on events like the Batan death-march, they turn around and indiscriminately murder 100,000 Tokyo civilians in a single night. (Movie to fuck you up about that: Grave of the Fireflies). Japan and United States was not about peace, it was about who was the biggest dick on the playground.

Now to Europe, everyone basically knows the west tore Germany a new asshole, forcing it into terrible conditions, causing all sorts of fucked up reactions to ideological extremes, and the west liked fascists more than communists. Had the west not stood aside in the face of fascism, instead of propping up the corporations/companies as they did, Europe may have come away with a different fate.

Everyone was very much in the throes of a fight against communism, so prop up every other douchebag and his friends across the world to stop what may be happening within your own borders. So the United States holds a better resource advantage in supporting Britain, aside from being ideological supporters, and starts giving them weapons well before the war starts, of course a territorial issue between European nations would drag in their supporters across the globe as well. And if you look at all into the history of the Nuremburg trials, a number of Nazis got off of their crimes, like submarine captains, who were going around blowing up civilian and freight ships, because the west was doing the same. Then tie that to the outright destruction of places like Dresden with 25k civilians dead. Following the war, the west also arbitrarily chopped up the Middle East for its oil revenues. US gets Saudi Arabia, Britain gets Iran, and they split what's in the middle (I forget the name of the treaty that was).
What separated it though, was that no one was ready for the absolute slaughter the fascists had taken about across Europe, which dwarfed the American brutality.

I also did a lot of research study into the American Civil War that I can get into but it's sunday, I have friends to be drunk, and alcohol to be met.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 04:08:32 pm by Augy »
“Ego is a structure that is erected by a neurotic individual who is a member of a neurotic culture against the facts of the matter. And culture, which we put on like an overcoat, is the collectivized consensus about what sort of neurotic behaviors are acceptable.” -Terence McKenna

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
Re: WW1 commemoration from a class angle, fuck nationalism.
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2014, 04:08:08 pm »
Next on Augy's Anarchist Ramblings: Why the American Civil War was actually an Anarchist rebellion. Stay tuned.

Offline Archduke Sven

• Brigadier General
  • I have over 1000 warning points, be careful.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: regimentless sven
  • Side: Union
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 04:32:12 pm »
augy stahp bein so spooky

told that bih don't @ me

Offline Rival

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2014, 04:33:08 pm »
2spooky5me
Working on headers in NW is like working on formula 1 2016 engines for 2017.

Offline Turin Turambar

• Major General
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2014, 07:40:02 pm »
Who read "The Sleepwalkers"?
des is apsichtdliche Browokazion etzala ferstest du

Offline Colonel Howe

• Donator
  • There isn't a noose tight enough
    • View Profile
    • People's History Podcast
  • Nick: Noah
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2014, 01:21:41 am »
Augy pls rename this Augy's Anarchist Workshop

Fuck off, Nazi scum

Offline Shredder

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2014, 01:38:28 am »
Augy, are you a Stephan Molyneux listener? just curious.

Offline Augy

• Major General
    • View Profile
    • The Royal Recruits
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2014, 01:51:07 am »
Augy, are you a Stephan Molyneux listener? just curious.

Stefan Molyneux makes my stomach turn.
“Ego is a structure that is erected by a neurotic individual who is a member of a neurotic culture against the facts of the matter. And culture, which we put on like an overcoat, is the collectivized consensus about what sort of neurotic behaviors are acceptable.” -Terence McKenna

Offline Archduke Sven

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2014, 03:01:26 am »
augy is 3sp00ky5me guis

told that bih don't @ me

Offline Russian

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: русский
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2014, 08:42:59 am »
Disregard, I misread the thread.
When life gives you Vodka, have a Party!

Offline Augy

• Major General
    • View Profile
    • The Royal Recruits
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2014, 10:02:11 am »
It's been a century since World War I when the forces of nationalism and jingoism conspired to put good men to their graves. Horrible I know, but some solace I get out of reading about it is that people don't inherently want to kill each other.

Has anyone heard of "live and let live"? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_and_let_live_%28World_War_I%29

It was the idea that people on both sides of the trenches actively avoided killing each other. I mean this was after they had a rifle shoved in their hands and told that the devil is over there just said "no ta" and sort of stood around looking busy.

There's stories of artillery teams avoiding shooting the trenches and when they accidently did they just yelled over saying something on the lines of "The artillery's shit, sorry didn't mean it". Hell I've heard stories of some Germans crossing the lines every dinner time to come eat our food because he thought it was better. On Christmas day in one particular stretch of the trenches the guys on each side played football with each other.

This wasn't just an isolated incident and it shows me that people aren't evil, just old men who detract themselves of the situation and don't have to do any of the dirty work themselves. I just think this is quite important to keep in mind, especially at the moment with the troubles that there is these days a valid response the authority that is telling you "that man is evil and you should kill him" is to tell him "Fuck off" and go play football with the other dude.

Remember the fallen, fuck the authorities that made them fall.

augy is 3sp00ky5me guis

Offline EdwardC

• Donator
  • Cyberbullying + Memes = FSE Forums
    • View Profile
    • 9th East Norfolk
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2014, 10:12:02 am »

Offline Humlenerd

• First Lieutenant
  • Why are you reading this and not my post?
    • View Profile
  • Nick: JeanBaptiste
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2014, 07:18:25 pm »
Read "War is a Racket", Augy  ;)
The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it. - Thucydides

Offline Augy

• Major General
    • View Profile
    • The Royal Recruits
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2014, 07:53:45 pm »
Thanks for reminding me, Humblenerd! Smedley Butler had an interesting life in the marine corps fo sho, his experience with the Bonus Army and alleged part in the "Business plot". Definately gonna read it, i think Europeans generally know more about american history than vice versa.

Offline Archduke Sven

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2014, 09:20:19 pm »
War and Peace best WW1 book ever.

and augy, you're a brigadier general, you're a sick authority

told that bih don't @ me