Author Topic: Philosophy Thread  (Read 6438 times)

Offline joer5835

• Brigadier General
  • My face is tired.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Joer
  • Side: Union
Re: Philosophy Thread
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2014, 01:28:48 pm »
Come one, we all have our prefrences when it comes to different periods in history  ::)
Polan is of dangerous to FSE
Im from Poland , a land of lawlessness

Offline Antoine de Lasalle

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2014, 01:29:48 pm »
Come one, we all have our prefrences when it comes to different periods in history  ::)

Ok ok true. I love Enlightenment philosophy, BUT I do study every era

Offline Blobmania

• Major
  • Damn Sexy.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Blobmania
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2014, 01:31:29 pm »
What're all your opinions on Determinism?
Spoiler
[close]

If a cat sits in a box in the woods and no-one is around to hear it, is it alive?

Offline joer5835

• Brigadier General
  • My face is tired.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2014, 01:32:41 pm »
So do I, sort of.

When it comes to medieval history though, I'm more occupied with the political and economical situations in those yearsw. I haven't really studied philosophy before 1500 much.

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2014, 01:35:07 pm »
So do I, sort of.

When it comes to medieval history though, I'm more occupied with the political and economical situations in those yearsw. I haven't really studied philosophy before 1500 much.

Makes sense

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2014, 01:48:57 pm »
What're all your opinions on Determinism?

I'll write you an essay on it in a month xD

Offline joer5835

• Brigadier General
  • My face is tired.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2014, 01:55:12 pm »
I'm the exact opposite of determinism, so please don't get me started.

Offline Blobmania

• Major
  • Damn Sexy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2014, 01:58:15 pm »
The whole point of this thread is to "get started" :P

I'm very much deterministic in my views. I'd just curious as to the logic behind non-deterministic beliefs.
Spoiler
[close]

If a cat sits in a box in the woods and no-one is around to hear it, is it alive?

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2014, 01:59:37 pm »
The whole point of this thread is to "get started" :P

I'm very much deterministic in my views. I'd just curious as to the logic behind non-deterministic beliefs.

Give me a paragraph of the basic beliefs of determinism. Plz

Offline Allasaphore

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2014, 03:32:59 pm »
I took the test. Apparently I'm 100% like Aristotle, 87% like John Stuart Mill, 86% like Thomas Aquinas, and several other philosophers varying from 77-40%. This is for ethical philosophy, of course.

As for determinism, we need to discuss and establish whether or not a free will exists before we can determine if the responses to all causes are necessary and unable to be changed. If a free will exists, then determinism is false (by virtue of choice in situations, though the situations themselves were caused). We know empirically that a man may make both a rationally suitable and an irrational response to given stimuli, all at the behest of the individual man.

Be sure to read philosophy before 1500, joer5835. The philosophies of Aquinas, Ockham, Anselm, and the Greek philosophers are all interesting reads.

However, I'd like to posit a question to the people in this thread. What is philosophy?

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2014, 03:33:41 pm »
What is philosophy?

Smart people trying to figure out why the world sucks for dumb people.

Offline Blobmania

• Major
  • Damn Sexy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2014, 04:04:59 pm »
Well personally I've studied Human Biology, Psychology and Artificial Intelligence at various times in the last few years, and while I don't believe in a higher power or "fate" as such, I don't entirely believe in free will.

The human brain is made up of a whole bunch of yes/no logic gateways, much in the same way as a computer is. The primary difference is that as sentient creatures our brain's logic pathways are constantly shifting as a result of both chemical/hormonal changes, and our own thought patterns - that is, our own trails of thought can actively affect the structure of the rest of our brains.

In simple terms then, we are essentially just machines that process data input from our senses through constantly shifting logic patterns in the brain, and then give an outcome. The idea of free will is necessary because otherwise we couldn't be held accountable for our actions, however in reality all we're actually doing is processing the world around us based upon our past experiences and genetic predispositions. It doesn't mean that we don't have control over our futures, it just means that our methods for exercising that control are actually pre-determined. You may make a decision, however whatever decision you make is actually the ONLY decision you could make based upon your internal thought processes.
Spoiler
[close]

Offline Allasaphore

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2014, 04:31:09 pm »
Spoiler
Well personally I've studied Human Biology, Psychology and Artificial Intelligence at various times in the last few years, and while I don't believe in a higher power or "fate" as such, I don't entirely believe in free will.

The human brain is made up of a whole bunch of yes/no logic gateways, much in the same way as a computer is. The primary difference is that as sentient creatures our brain's logic pathways are constantly shifting as a result of both chemical/hormonal changes, and our own thought patterns - that is, our own trails of thought can actively affect the structure of the rest of our brains.

In simple terms then, we are essentially just machines that process data input from our senses through constantly shifting logic patterns in the brain, and then give an outcome. The idea of free will is necessary because otherwise we couldn't be held accountable for our actions, however in reality all we're actually doing is processing the world around us based upon our past experiences and genetic predispositions. It doesn't mean that we don't have control over our futures, it just means that our methods for exercising that control are actually pre-determined. You may make a decision, however whatever decision you make is actually the ONLY decision you could make based upon your internal thought processes.
[close]

This is reasonable, though I am skeptical of the claim that it is only possible for an individual to make one decision in any situation. If free will exists at all, then determinism must be absolutely false. If determinism is true, then free will is false. However, can all possible choices be known to us, or can we only know our selected choice/determined action?

Allow me to provide an example. Say that I am exploring a cave, and the cave should come to a fork of 78 prongs. These 78 forks have the exact same physical conditions, from light distribution to temperature. Am I determined to select a specific route based on determinism? If so, why?

We can discuss determinism in the wake of solipsism once we've negotiated this crevice.

Offline joer5835

• Brigadier General
  • My face is tired.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2014, 04:57:55 pm »
Personally, I'm a great supporter of free will. In my opinion, no decision is right or wrong, as long as you fully support your own decision AND don't hurt other people with it.

For example, in later life you have to choose what you want to do. You have the option of becoming an artist or a high-rewarding job as a manager. Neither of these choices are wrong, as you should do what you want to do. Of course there are always people that tell you your choose is actually based on what you can do better. IMO, that is partially wrong.

For instance, I'm good with biology and chemistry. I could easily choose to do something in later life with these two, as right now in the Netherlands, there is a shortage of people with this knowledge. So, why did I choose to pursue History? Because I wanted to.

This is all of course my view on life, if you disagree, you are perfectly allowed to disagree. It's a free world.....or at least it should be.

Offline Allasaphore

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2014, 05:20:42 pm »
Spoiler
Personally, I'm a great supporter of free will. In my opinion, no decision is right or wrong, as long as you fully support your own decision AND don't hurt other people with it.

For example, in later life you have to choose what you want to do. You have the option of becoming an artist or a high-rewarding job as a manager. Neither of these choices are wrong, as you should do what you want to do. Of course there are always people that tell you your choose is actually based on what you can do better. IMO, that is partially wrong.

For instance, I'm good with biology and chemistry. I could easily choose to do something in later life with these two, as right now in the Netherlands, there is a shortage of people with this knowledge. So, why did I choose to pursue History? Because I wanted to.

This is all of course my view on life, if you disagree, you are perfectly allowed to disagree. It's a free world.....or at least it should be.
[close]

I agree with the sentiment, but would like to point out that we do need people to do certain jobs. While I would like to think that all the people in menial jobs enjoy them, I understand that some of them use the job as a stepping stone/temporary job in pursuit of their goal. Others may have been forced there because they can do no other things.