Author Topic: The Prussians at Waterloo  (Read 15516 times)

Offline Kator Viridian

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Re: The Prussians at Waterloo
« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2013, 09:11:58 am »
Well it wasn't very rules Britannia at all, your just saying that with a lack of come back from the statements made, your psychology is a bit off i'd say and your analysis of past and present psychological thought processes is a bit bad. Learn the difference between how things were and how they are now and realise they are 2 different things entirely.

Your claims about British rulers always fighting on the front-lines (who was the last? Henry VII?), your claims about how brilliant Wellington was, your claims about how Briton are and always have been a proud people (which, by the bye, is totally untrue. I know a lot of Englishmen and they're certainly arrogant, but not proud).

Worst is the laziest of all defences: the claim that you can't judge people of the past by modern moral standards. Morality hasn't changed, especially not in the last 200 years, but I doubt it has even in the last 2000 years. There's still slavery in the world, there's still murder, there's still war, there's still prejudice, people still turn traitor and are loathed for it. If our morality was so much more enlightened none of this would be a problem.

Henry VII might of been the last king yes but the last prince? I'll think you find are the Current Harry and William. They are still quite prominant on the front pages of news. Also you could count the Current queen who served in the military for the RAF although still in the UK at the time she was still serving within the military none and less. Its all still there and a lot of the Royal Family still serve within the military.

And Morality has changed, for example it is now socially acceptable for women to get pregnant from Anonymous Males ... infact you can happily go and get impregnated without a man. Where as if you take this back less than 50 it would be socially unacceptable and often get you disowned by the family. Also the death sentence ... but now its pretty much abolished within the UK except for treason, which will probably never get enforced anyway, and that was stopped after 1964 ... my Grandad was training to be a hangman so it would of been interesting to learn if it carried on.

But there are just a few morality changes in Civilian life, militarily now you can see a big difference for example within field commissions being given out by tests rather than extreme bravery to the point of near death. Generals are not chosen by Gentry and are now chosen though rigerous training and testing.

Morality has changed but it is more specific than you think, just because something exists on one side of the world dosn't mean it exists on the other, Slavery is completely abolished on this side of the world, it is completely socially unnacceptable and would land you a lifetime imprisonment ... it still happens though but it dosn't mean "Oh morality is the same because it still exists" no ... it is just because some people use it for their personal benefit.

Also Wellington did have his downfalls, like many Brits his own arrogance and willingness to bat above his station at times trying to overreach himself which eventually backfired in being offered Prime minister again when he frankly didn't want to at all ... leaving a horrible political gap to fill.

I can happily start saying positive things about Stalin or Mao if you like? you can call me over Russian or Chinese then?

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2013, 10:01:43 am »
The level of off-topicness is getting highier and higher.

There's a difference between leading in the front and visiting your army for PR-reasons.

Offline Kator Viridian

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2013, 08:23:35 pm »
The level of off-topicness is getting highier and higher.

There's a difference between leading in the front and visiting your army for PR-reasons.

Well considering each served for 6 months which is the standard service time for a British Soldier on the front lines ... yeh they were there all right. The ranks bestowed to them are not out of "Your royalty here is a Admiralty" but out of earning them, Harry is just a Captain at the moment of serving 3 years as a Lieutenant which is once again ... pretty standard.

Anywho as we were ... The Prussians at Waterloo did their piece as much as every unit there, offering a threat to the flank which is all they really needed to do, it would often scare the living hell out of any army knowing the flank was on the fold ... which would later force the old guard to fall back. With a long line of linked up Allied troops and Stern Prussians on the left flank there seemed to be little stopping them, with some of Guard distracted in Plancenoit it would of surely contributed to a weakened French attack in the centre to try to break the allies ... without the Secured left flank would the Allies right of folded? Well it seems as though with the left secured it allowed the right to stretch a bit for a bit more leg room in flanking the french futher when the old guard arrived.

Without the arrival of the Prussians I would have no doubts the Allies would of lost quite badly and might not of held any longer in certain parts of their line, vastly outnumbered meant the already disadvantaged troops would of had to carry on fighting. The Prussians to me where certainly the victors of the day.

Offline Mr T

• Major General
  • Je Passe Quand Meme
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Mortier
  • Side: Union
« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2013, 03:41:33 pm »
Getting a detailed book about the Battle of Ligny, will hopefully add in details about the battle on the OP, soon as I read the whole book that is...

Offline Walko

• Brigadier General
  • Tired art student.
    • View Profile
    • 4. Silesian Landwehr
  • Side: Union
« Reply #49 on: November 06, 2013, 09:34:38 pm »
Just looking at the order of battle, and my unit is in the IV corps, 15th brigade. That's cool as shit.
Pointy stick champion