Author Topic: Let's discuss: Reenacting!  (Read 231592 times)

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Let's discuss: Reenacting!
« Reply #2175 on: June 28, 2018, 05:21:16 pm »
But east europe is quite closed towards west europe

Distance, cultural differences and of course language barriers. Plus, while civil war is between two sides in a period of 4,5 years, the Napoleonic is over a period of two decades with a dozen different nations, many of whom switched sides at least once.

But you see the difference between our generation and that of the previous ones. More people speak English, and it gets more and more easier to re-enact in other countries (with regards to gun laws). It's up to us to seize this momentum, to be fair. The old generation is not going to do it.

at least in the topic of progressive Napoleonics it seems, generally there are simply no progressive groups. at least I know only 22e from germany, 33eme from Poland and???? nothing else

But there are plenty of progressive re-enactors. We don't need to get five or six groups together, we just need to recruit anyone wanting to do a progressive unit for Waterloo 2020. I mean, no, the Dutch 85e is not a progressive unit, but I know that at least three of their members would be willing to join us for such a thing. Yes, it will be a uniform mismatch, but who the Hell cares?. I'm not saying 'oh, let's do a full batallion, 400 men, let's go.'. I'm saying that we should plan and organize a realistic set-up and contact groups close to us, to get the ball rolling. Marc Middleton's organization can also help with that.

Offline zac

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2176 on: June 28, 2018, 05:28:41 pm »
But east europe is quite closed towards west europe

Distance, cultural differences and of course language barriers. Plus, while civil war is between two sides in a period of 4,5 years, the Napoleonic is over a period of two decades with a dozen different nations, many of whom switched sides at least once.

But you see the difference between our generation and that of the previous ones. More people speak English, and it gets more and more easier to re-enact in other countries (with regards to gun laws). It's up to us to seize this momentum, to be fair. The old generation is not going to do it.

Can agree . The language thing has got easier. Spent a while in Hungary at the beginning of the year and even kitted up for some 1848 stuff and was amazed at the amount of people who spoke English. Especially after I said I wasn't British or a Yank all went swimmingly hahaha...

There's a chance to change the napoleonic scene and I think it's at a stage where you either try and push for what Duuring is saying..or let it collapse. Everyone said Waterloo 2015 was going to be the 'revolution' and that it was going to fix the hobby...and while it has lit a spark the vast majority of groups have done absolutely nothing with the momentum. I mean I still recall in July 2015, all the Aussies coming back speaking of 'changing this and that' and well guess what...they've gotten even older, no new recruits and nothing has changed.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 04:50:55 pm by zac »

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #2177 on: June 28, 2018, 06:35:57 pm »
First step is to get a realistic goal. I'd say; a half-sized company with appropiate NCO's and officers. Just that.

I wouldn't even go as far as to say 'let's do the same unit' or 'fusiliers only'. Yes, we should pick a 'basic impression', and great if people want to change something in their impression to better fit the company picture, but it's a waste of effort trying to en-force it. We can only spend a certain amount of effort before we get tired of it, and we can only enforce a certain amount of policy before units will simply cancel. I know, I know - Grenadiers are absolutely overdone in the hobby. Life sucks. Get over it. Let's focus on getting everybody to pack everything in their backpacks, not use breadbags, not use tents, professionalize officers and NCO's and make sure groups and individuals accept those officers and NCO's.

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
  • Nick: FSE_Olafson
  • Side: Union
« Reply #2178 on: June 28, 2018, 09:50:16 pm »
90% of all Progressive reenactor groups doing Napoleonic are primarily focused on Bicorn era. And as you know, for some reason Bicorn-era people tend not to get shakos for Shako events.

The uniform mismatch is not a huge problem for french reenactors unless it comes to bicorns and shakos. You simply can not put a bicorn and a shako in the same line, it looks off.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #2179 on: June 28, 2018, 09:53:17 pm »
90% of all Progressive reenactor groups doing Napoleonic are primarily focused on Bicorn era

That's because 90% of all Progressive re-enactors are based in the Czech Republic, Poland, or other Eastern European countries, where only stuff happened in 1795-1809. But if we want to form such a unit, we should focus on westerners anyway; The Netherlands, Belgium, the UK, Germany and France.

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
« Reply #2180 on: June 28, 2018, 10:11:58 pm »
Do not forget that we are already part of a Battalion.
http://chartehistoire.eu/mapage26/index.html

Ofc, only half of those groups are actually affiliated with the Charte Histoire
http://chartehistoire.eu/mapage/index.html

But it is a start. Ofc. within the Charte histoire there is also quite some variation in the "Progressiveness" of the units, but overall you could agree that all of them are progressive reenactors.

Obviously this is not comparable to lets say, Walldürn, where all progressive groups come together form their own companies and sleep together, and do stuff together for the entirety of the event. The battalion uni is only conceirned with the battalion drill itself.
But one does not exclude the other. You could still get all progressive reenactors together for the event and form one or several companies of the battalion. The battalion will then be made out of one or more progressive reenactor companies and one or more mainstream reenactor companies. But I think this would be fine.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #2181 on: June 28, 2018, 10:45:39 pm »
Membres présents en Allemagne et Pologne.

Lawl. Also, the link links to the site of the 22e.

Like I said, it might be worth trying to get a progressive company together for Waterloo 2020. Do rations, guard duty, camping down, morning calls, stuff like that. You could, for example, have one section consisting out of French(-speakers) and the other one consisting of English-speakers (Dutch, British, Germans). Doing a lot of historical things when you are with just a single squad is a waste of effort, but would actually be interesting if we are a sizeable unit.

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
« Reply #2182 on: June 28, 2018, 11:06:42 pm »
Yeah, roll calls with 5 guys, who you sleep to all night are kinda retarded. Who are you fooling, it is not like you did not notice that everyone is present. Doing guard duty next to impossible unless you seriously do not want to sleep.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #2183 on: June 28, 2018, 11:07:39 pm »
Life was hard back in those days.

Offline zac

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2184 on: June 29, 2018, 12:50:43 pm »
Yeah, roll calls with 5 guys, who you sleep to all night are kinda retarded. Who are you fooling, it is not like you did not notice that everyone is present. Doing guard duty next to impossible unless you seriously do not want to sleep.

A very common thing in the ww1/ww2 scene tho..all i'm hearing is excuses  ;D ;)

Spoiler
sarcasm trigger warning
[close]
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 02:48:01 pm by zac »

Offline Duke Of LongTree

• First Lieutenant
  • 1stRM/USMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2185 on: June 30, 2018, 02:31:12 am »
Can I call in with the 85e for the 2020 Waterloo ?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 02:34:29 am by Duke Of LongTree »

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #2186 on: June 30, 2018, 10:06:04 am »
Only if you bring at least four friends.

Offline Duke Of LongTree

• First Lieutenant
  • 1stRM/USMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2187 on: June 30, 2018, 04:11:49 pm »
I don't have four friends that would spend money on a new NW kit

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #2188 on: June 30, 2018, 06:01:01 pm »
Who said anything about a new NW kit?

Offline joer5835

• Brigadier General
  • My face is tired.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Joer
« Reply #2189 on: July 01, 2018, 12:33:42 am »
I don't have four friends that would spend money on a new NW kit

you severely underestimate the amount of stuff Olaf has lying around to equip people with.
Polan is of dangerous to FSE
Im from Poland , a land of lawlessness