Author Topic: Let's discuss: Reenacting!  (Read 234177 times)

Offline Duke Of LongTree

• First Lieutenant
  • 1stRM/USMC
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
Re: Let's discuss: Reenacting!
« Reply #2130 on: June 19, 2018, 04:59:56 am »
Papa olaf i wanna play NW what do i need to get stated pls help or i will spam you

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #2131 on: June 19, 2018, 02:52:39 pm »
Sutlers aren't as well organized in the Napoleonic scene as they are in ACW, not in Europe and not in the US/Canada. It's frustrating, but hardly surprising considering the massive amount of sub-periods, countries and units. I mean, even when you want to do a normal French line infantry men, you have to pick early Revolutionary (1792-95), late Revolutionary (96-01), Early Napoleonic (02-06), mid-Napoleonic (07-10), Russia, (10-12) or late Napoleonic, ('13-'15). And technically, Waterloo would be a whole different impression but we all pretty much just pretend it isn't, and then I'm already splitting Mid-Napoleonic and Russia into two periods. For each of these periods, there was a difference in uniform.

Nico knows some American guys doing an extremely nice Bardin impression, although I believe they made most of their things themselves. There's also a small light infantry regiment that has a pretty good impression. As for the 21e... I'll just join Zac in not commenting.

Offline zac

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2132 on: June 19, 2018, 04:23:17 pm »
Shh duuring, never ever mention Waterloo impressions...didn't you sign the official secrets act??  :-X

I know the light infantry guys you are speaking of I think (https://www.facebook.com/6eLegere/) , they got their kits largely from corps sutler , http://corpsutler.webs.com/ . Australian supplier which does largely 'off the rack' stuff. Duuring knows my opinion regarding their stuff...but their Frog stuff is actually decent if you want something under the $400 price range. (As long as you get the measurements perfect)

Besides that you can do what I have been doing and have a go at making it yourself, which may be a fun project considering you apparently don't have any groups around where you live. If that's a line you want to go down I can point you in the direction of authentic material suppliers and i'm sure Olaf or someone can help direct you to a pattern/someone who can help.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 04:26:43 pm by zac »

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #2133 on: June 19, 2018, 04:26:59 pm »
Shh duuring, never ever mention Waterloo impressions...didn't you sign the official secrets act??  :-X

Spoiler
Wanna know something secret?
Spoiler
Like, real secret?
Spoiler
Are you sure?
Spoiler
Really?
Spoiler
Brave
Spoiler
Okay, here it goes
Spoiler
*breath*
Spoiler
the 21e lost their Eagle at Waterloo
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]

True, but considering the lack of alternatives and the fact that they at least carry full uniforms tells me they might have a progressive mindset. I already pointed out to them that they should get different backpacks and they did not bite my head off, so I like them.

Offline zac

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2134 on: June 19, 2018, 04:42:56 pm »

Spoiler
Wanna know something secret?
Spoiler
Like, real secret?
Spoiler
Are you sure?
Spoiler
Really?
Spoiler
Brave
Spoiler
Okay, here it goes
Spoiler
*breath*
Spoiler
the 21e lost their Eagle at Waterloo
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]

heresy!!

Offline Duke Of LongTree

• First Lieutenant
  • 1stRM/USMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2135 on: June 19, 2018, 04:45:13 pm »
Lol I'll just form an 88e here in American we will go troll war of 1812 events

Offline zac

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2136 on: June 19, 2018, 05:14:11 pm »
The War of 1812 guys are essentially the best reenactors over there :P (atleast the redcoat units)...but sure, I've actually been noticing random french soldiers in photos from 1812 events haha

Offline Duke Of LongTree

• First Lieutenant
  • 1stRM/USMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2137 on: June 19, 2018, 05:20:37 pm »
The War of 1812 guys are essentially the best reenactors over there :P (atleast the redcoat units)...but sure, I've actually been noticing random french soldiers in photos from 1812 events haha
The battle of New Orleans reenactment some times has the old guard show up its funny to see
here is the french at New Orleans
Spoiler
[close]
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 05:22:21 pm by Duke Of LongTree »

Offline zac

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2138 on: June 19, 2018, 05:39:28 pm »
The battle of New Orleans reenactment some times has the old guard show up its funny to see
Spoiler
[close]
ahh yes, yucky leather 'belgic shakos' and top hats...so dapper :')

Oi duuring, plse explain to me how a french pre 1812 flag is at a post 1812 USA battle xD ..I know there were plans for the Guard to rescue Napoleon and wisk him off to the USA, but really?  ::)

« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 05:50:26 pm by zac »

Offline Duke Of LongTree

• First Lieutenant
  • 1stRM/USMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2139 on: June 19, 2018, 05:41:56 pm »
Spoiler
[close]
ahh yes, yucky leather 'belgic shakos' and top hats...so dapper :')

Oi duuring, plse explain to me how a french pre 1812 flag is at a post 1812 USA battle xD ..I know there were plans for the Guard to rescue Napoleon and wisk him off to the USA, but really?

Americans are autistic i did a local civil war event and they had a 50 start flag so ...

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #2140 on: June 19, 2018, 08:50:35 pm »
Flags are so annoying. Everybody insists on getting one, on always carrying it, and they never do it correctly, impression nor position in a formation.We are never getting one for our napoleonic impression.

Apparantly the Dutch 85e wants to make pikes to make new unarmed members colour guards. I hope it's not true, but if it is, how about you just try to re-enact a normal platoon of line soldiers correctly before you start looking for 'additions'.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 08:55:07 pm by Duuring »

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Riddlez
« Reply #2141 on: June 19, 2018, 10:32:07 pm »
Or arm your unarmed members with replicas.
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #2142 on: June 19, 2018, 11:10:16 pm »
Exactly. The constant search for extra impressions just to get more people in the group is what kills authenticity.

Offline Vincenzo

• Flying Squirrel Dev
  • FSE Developer
  • Dutchman living in Allenstein, Ostpreußen.
    • View Profile
    • Flying Squirrel Entertainment
  • Nick: FSE_Vincenzo
« Reply #2143 on: June 19, 2018, 11:51:06 pm »
Please don't mention 85eme Dutch in the same sentence with the word authenticity

Offline Duke Of LongTree

• First Lieutenant
  • 1stRM/USMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2144 on: June 20, 2018, 12:00:00 am »
lolololol