Author Topic: NW Championship 2019 (Sign ups until ~24th June)  (Read 5663 times)

Offline Romulus76

• Alpha Tester
  • Minisiege & EU_Commander - Community Manager
    • View Profile
    • Napoleonic Wars Public
  • Side: Confederacy
Re: NW Championship 2019 (Sign ups until ~27th June)
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2019, 11:38:12 am »
Personally I don't see a problem with announcing this here either. Yes, you may get the sweaty competitive players, as they are commonly referred to, but that doesn't mean they can't participate regardless. As i'm aware some of these players are on our Discords anyway, so what's the difference in applying from this post or seeing the announcements on either of NWP or NRP's Discords?

As we've discussed, we will see who and how many people sign up to this tournament. If we see a clear gap in skill with a lot of people, it's easy for us to split the tournament into 2 categories. 1 for the casual players, 1 for the competitive. It's subject to change, which is listed on many occasions in the OP. The idea of this tournament was to show to the community that the public servers are capable of working together and that this side of the community is far from dead. As we've had our dramas and what not in the past, I think it's a great thing to hold a competition for the entire community as a whole, regardless of your skill levels. As stated previously, if we split into 2 categories I don't think the skin winning thing on our servers will be much of an issue, as it'll allow the public to participate anyway - and have a fighting chance. Regardless, we are going to add medals for participants on the NWP Discord, not so sure about NRP but I'm sure we can arrange such things for everyone.

And on the note of participation, if those competitive players are too difficult to communicate because they don't join either Discord, they will not be able to participate and find their opponents anyway.

I think it'll be fun and it's not something we've done in the past, so I look forward to it!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 11:44:54 am by Gretel »

Offline Golden.

• What in Gods name?
  • Major General
  • 🤠
    • View Profile
  • Nick: [G]
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2019, 02:35:30 pm »
What you've done here is create a competitive tournament and opened it up to the competitive side of the community, without first even asking or talking to anyone of the competitive community or discussing how tournaments of this nature are best run and work.

First off duels are shit that's a fact. However I would still like to play anyway. Fastest combat speed is for Na's and laggy servers like public servers. And why does it take 42 days to do a single elimination duel tournament this is annoyingly complicated. I also don't know who any of these organisers or admins are so as a sign up how am I supposed to contact people or find server information?

It's obvious there is going to be some major skill gap but if you wanted to open up the competitive side better with the casual side I think group fighting would be more fun and maybe lower brackets for some of the tournaments that are hosting around here. I'd like to play in this tournament but I think you should collaborate with some competitive community individuals before you open a competitive tournament just so there is a better understanding of what's going on.

Offline Tommmy

• First Sergeant
  • drinkin' Moets holdin Tecs
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2019, 02:38:52 pm »
What you've done here is create a competitive tournament and opened it up to the competitive side of the community, without first even asking or talking to anyone of the competitive community or discussing how tournaments of this nature are best run and work.

First off duels are shit that's a fact. However I would still like to play anyway. Fastest combat speed is for Na's and laggy servers like public servers. And why does it take 42 days to do a single elimination duel tournament this is annoyingly complicated. I also don't know who any of these organisers or admins are so as a sign up how am I supposed to contact people or find server information?

It's obvious there is going to be some major skill gap but if you wanted to open up the competitive side better with the casual side I think group fighting would be more fun and maybe lower brackets for some of the tournaments that are hosting around here. I'd like to play in this tournament but I think you should collaborate with some competitive community individuals before you open a competitive tournament just so there is a better understanding of what's going on.
+1
si vis pacem, parabellum

Offline Ewoksson

• Private
  • Napoleon Complex Psychologist
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2019, 03:26:03 pm »
I'm sorry if someone feel undermined or threatened, they do not have to sign up to the tournament if they don't want to participate in the way we've chosen to do things. It was announced here to inform the community, which certainly also got normies, users familiar with our servers and non-elite players. I find the apartheid between public servers and the private regimental/competitive sphere to be unnecessary. This playground doesn't belong solely to that entitled mother, but to all of us.

We've decided to run this tournament in a way appropriate for our public community. I cannot speak for other tournaments here but if we had mainly followed how tournaments are best to run and work here, then we probably would've ended up with a tournament which do already exist and which isn't appropriate for the public/na's/normies. We've discussed how it's going to look in our own leader group containing influential public NRP/NWP/NW players and allowed for insight by many others and just like them you may voice constructive critics, not just critics. Others may of course join the leader group if they are interested to actively help the development and doesn't find us public plebs to not be worthy of their expensive time.

If you took a moment to read the first post it's well-explained what responsibilities the management and referees has got, as well as what responsibilities we expect of the participants. We'll also confirm the identity of all participants a few days before the tournament starts, as it also says in the first post to help with the matchmaking should issues arise. The server details are also explicitly stated, though a password has not been shared yet as the tournament hasn't begun. The links to the referees redirect you to their steam profiles. The sponsored by links go to various communities discords, where there's always some people online whom are helpful with information and will redirect you to the right individuals. Also time estimate of 42 days is if someone always uses the last day of the 7 day deadline to fight their duels. Most of the duels might be over within the first week as there's no limit to how far you may go as long as your opponent is available.

It's not obvious though as I cannot remember this being tried on a similarly large scale ever before. During my four years as a representative of the NRP server we've never been invited or asked to bring pubs to a tournament. We will wait to see what happens and may use this tournament as a guideline in the future should what you all fear happen. It'd be fun either way for us and a majority of our public participants has no issues with you joining, it's just Tommy here voicing his opinions who've come forth out of all. It's unfortunate that you guys don't have mutual feelings. Let's not worry about the future and see where things lead. I'm quite sure things are going to run smooth and overall be great.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 04:01:21 pm by Ewoksson »
Do you feel self-destructive or cynical towards the game/community in which you belong? Feel the need to frequently chime in with clever insults and belittle others in order to feel better or superior?
I can properly diagnose you with the Napoleon Complex by rooting out the causes. Common ones are; having a small pee-pee and being weak irl. My services are free of charge!

Offline Tommmy

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2019, 03:43:38 pm »
I'm sorry if someone feel undermined or threatened, they do not have to sign up to the tournament if they don't want to participate in the way we've chosen to do things. It was announced here to inform the community, which certainly also got normies, users familiar with our servers and non-elite players. I find the apartheid between public servers and the private regimental/competitive sphere to be unnecessary. This playground doesn't belong solely to that entitled mother, but to all of us.

We've decided to run this tournament in a way appropriate for our public community. I cannot speak for other tournaments here but if we had followed or discussed how tournaments are best to run and work, then we probably would've ended up with a tournament which do already exist here and which isn't appropriate for the public/na's/normies. We've discussed how it's going to look in our own leader group containing influential public NW players and allowed for insight by many others and just like them you may voice constructive critics, not just critics. Others may of course join the group if they are interested and doesn't find us public plebs to not be worthy of your expensive time.

If you took a moment to read the first post it's well-explained what responsibilities the management and referees has got, as well as what responsibilities we expect of the participants. We'll also confirm the identity of all participants a few days before the tournament starts, as it also says in the first post to help with the matchmaking should issues arise. The server details are also explicitly stated, though a password has not been shared yet as the tournament hasn't begun. The links to the referees redirect you to their steam profiles. The sponsored by links go to various communities discords, where there's always some people online whom are helpful with information and will redirect you to the right individuals.

It's not obvious though as I cannot remember this being tried on a similarly large scale ever before. During my four years as a representative of the NRP server we've never been invited or asked to bring pubs to a tournament. We will wait to see what happens and may use this tournament as a guideline in the future should what you all fear happen. It'd be fun either way for us and a majority of the public participants has no issues with you joining, it's just Tommy here voicing his opinions who've come forth out of all. It's unfortunate that you guys don't have mutual feelings. Let's not worry about the future and see where things lead. I'm quite sure things are going to run smooth and overall be great.
it's just because I sit on both sides, Ewok, I feel like this was a chance for minsiege players and nrp players to join together have fun and show there skill- but it almost feels as if it's going to be another comp tourney :(
si vis pacem, parabellum

Offline Ewoksson

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2019, 03:50:49 pm »
it's just because I sit on both sides, Ewok, I feel like this was a chance for minsiege players and nrp players to join together have fun and show there skill- but it almost feels as if it's going to be another comp tourney :(
There are group stages, and since people signed up at different stages of the tournament it means they end up with each others, if we look at the current bracket as of now:
6 JBR/NWP/NRP/PR champions might continue to the final stage.
2 FSE champions might continue to the final stage.
Do you feel self-destructive or cynical towards the game/community in which you belong? Feel the need to frequently chime in with clever insults and belittle others in order to feel better or superior?
I can properly diagnose you with the Napoleon Complex by rooting out the causes. Common ones are; having a small pee-pee and being weak irl. My services are free of charge!

Offline Tommmy

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2019, 05:18:32 pm »
There are group stages, and since people signed up at different stages of the tournament it means they end up with each others, if we look at the current bracket as of now:
though this is reassuring, the FSE champions will inevitably reach, and subsequently win the final stage but atleast some of the miniseige players have fun.
si vis pacem, parabellum

Offline WaterPolo

• Private
  • www.nwrp.eu
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2019, 06:53:29 pm »
though this is reassuring, the FSE champions will inevitably reach, and subsequently win the final stage but atleast some of the miniseige players have fun.

>implying the NRP players aren’t going to have fun
Most of them are even more excited because of the replies on this thread. A lot of public players want to test their worth and this is a perfect chance to do so for them.

Offline Tommmy

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2019, 07:21:14 pm »

Most of them are even more excited because of the replies on this thread. A lot of public players want to test their worth and this is a perfect chance to do so for them.
>I just forgot about NRP players stop inferring idiotic thoughts
testing there worth, I'm sure it will be fun testing there worth against players using techniques they don't know etc etc

I'm fed up arguing and fighting a losing battle, what's done is done though I can't change that I will still defend my opinion against those who can't understand or are just dumb, smh.
si vis pacem, parabellum

Offline WaterPolo

• Private
  • www.nwrp.eu
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2019, 07:51:36 pm »

>I just forgot about NRP players stop inferring idiotic thoughts
testing there worth, I'm sure it will be fun testing there worth against players using techniques they don't know etc etc

I'm fed up arguing and fighting a losing battle, what's done is done though I can't change that I will still defend my opinion against those who can't understand or are just dumb, smh.

Triggered

Offline Ewoksson

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2019, 04:05:40 pm »
We're lacking responses from ~4 out of 64 individuals. Individuals who're not providing further contact details will be swapped with those who've provided it but are on the waiting list.
Provide further contact details via this forms: https://forms.gle/CrJMGxCm6DRhBLSs6 This has earlier been sent out to everyone via bulk mail on challonge.com as well as announced in several community discords. The sign up date may also be shortened since this been a smooth progress.