Poll

Should there be musket misfires?

Yes, it'd add another dimention in fighting!
28 (37.3%)
Nope, don't see the point
20 (26.7%)
Maybe, if the devs have time to add it
27 (36%)

Total Members Voted: 74

Voting closed: October 22, 2013, 03:14:20 am

Author Topic: [Suggestion]Musket Misfires  (Read 15471 times)

Offline ClearlyInvsible

• Donator
  • I'm still here. Dunno why.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: ClearlyInvsible
  • Side: Union
Re: [Suggestion]Musket Misfires
« Reply #75 on: March 11, 2014, 07:42:54 pm »
The gunpowder doesn't light properly, causing it to fissile out. Misfires very rarely involve huge booms.
"No man will make a great leader who wants to do it all himself or get all the credit for doing it."- Andrew Carnegie
“A man who has no conscience, no goodness, does not suffer.” - Khaled Hosseini
Faggots will burn in hell anyway, who cares.

Offline Rallix

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 00th_Merc_Rallix
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #76 on: March 11, 2014, 07:59:11 pm »
From my limited experience of Flintlocks, the first attempt I had at firing it came from the Flint itself. It didn't ignite the powder because there was very little flint making contact with the steel.
The flint was too thin, so the fellow who was loading the weapon simply took a small hammer and tapped the end of the flint, causing the weak tip to break off. This allowed more flint to strike the steel more abrasively, which made it spark.
Indeed.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #77 on: March 12, 2014, 12:26:16 pm »
The gunpowder doesn't light properly, causing it to fissile out. Misfires very rarely involve huge booms.

I know what a misfire is. I meant to ask what caused them specificly  :P

Offline Rejenorst

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #78 on: March 12, 2014, 03:34:56 pm »
There were just a fair few misfires during firing drills and skirmishes. Not sure what caused it. Maybe sometimes the flame not passing through the nipple hole? The hole can get clogged at times. Other times the bore can be wet after a clean and I am sure there are other reasons. Maybe the paper cartridge being rammed down with the powder can sometimes block that hole etc?
Spoiler

[close]

Offline ClearlyInvsible

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 30, 2014, 09:45:42 pm »
Bump for discussions.
"No man will make a great leader who wants to do it all himself or get all the credit for doing it."- Andrew Carnegie

Offline Skalli

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 23, 2014, 01:16:42 am »
I have to say that during re-enactments misfires were rare, actually very rare. I used the 1853 Enfield Rifled Musket ( I was in the 32nd Virginia Infantry) and when they did occur it was always due to a faulty percussion cap. In the war of course other causes such as damp/wet powder or, if fired for prolonged periods, a blocked/fouled nipple or barrel could be responsible.

As most people know, it was possible for a well drilled infantryman to fire three rounds per minute, so the rate of fire wasn't actually that slow. I'm not sure misfires would bring anything to the table in this game, as the re-load time/rate of fire already presents a step away from the normal FPS type scenarios. Adding a further hindrance would, in my opinion, be a mistake.

Offline ClearlyInvsible

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 23, 2014, 01:41:03 am »
The misfires I've had when I've fired my 1853 were due to mistakes with percussion cap placement, but I'd imagine during the ACW they'd be more common than in a reenactment.

And trust me, this would add a new degree of interest into the game. I mean I always loved in whenever modern-military games add weapon jams as a factor, and that's also fairly rare if you maintenance your weapon properly.

Offline Skalli

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 23, 2014, 12:46:52 pm »
And trust me, this would add a new degree of interest into the game. I mean I always loved in whenever modern-military games add weapon jams as a factor, and that's also fairly rare if you maintenance your weapon properly.

Well many infantrymen also closed their eyes when firing, or loaded their weapon time after time without firing at all but that does not mean it would be good to put that in a game. Remember, they're not building a simulator here, getting killed because you made a mistake yourself is one thing, but getting killed by the game is another thing entirely. You yourself cannot be responsible for a misfire in a game, it would purely be a random mechanic, and that would lead to a lot of frustration.

Offline Josy_Wales

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Josy_Wales
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #83 on: May 23, 2014, 05:14:20 pm »
if the loading was kind of a mini game it would be cool if you did a mistake and the gun wouldn't fire, but since this is probably going to be controlled by the game I am not sure if its a too good Idea.. I have to agree with Skalli, and I would be mighty frustrated if an opponent killed me just because my gun didn't fire for some reason.