Author Topic: After BCOF  (Read 9891 times)

Offline Pinball Wizard

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
Re: After BCOF
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2013, 01:06:28 pm »
I would like to see an English Civil War game, don't really know anything about it other than the Royalists versus the Parliamentarians. I'm pretty sure the armor and equipment was pretty close with one another though so I can't see it as too hard of a game to make after they animate properly pikes and swords. 

Offline Jacob

• Alpha Tester
  • Back after a long long time away :)
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Jacob
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2013, 02:20:05 pm »
I would like to see an English Civil War game, don't really know anything about it other than the Royalists versus the Parliamentarians. I'm pretty sure the armor and equipment was pretty close with one another though so I can't see it as too hard of a game to make after they animate properly pikes and swords.

Nice to see someone agrees with me, if you think you can add to my OP let me know :D

Offline Harry

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2013, 02:37:38 pm »

I have to agree here, I would actually be really interested in a game set around the Civil war. I'm kind of embarrassed though that I know so little about such an important period of our history. Although I do know that the last battle took place just outside Worcester (which is a 10 minute drive from where I live) which involved a predominately Scottish Royalist force fighting against Cromwell and his New Army. Charles II managed to escape after his defeat and allegedly even climbed up an oak (possibly, I can't really remember) tree to avoid Parliamentarian patrols.

Offline Furrnox

• Lieutenant General
  • Eternally incorrect, centre-left, asshole.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2013, 02:46:01 pm »
I guess I would wish for a game about the great northern war.

I have always wanted to run around in an old carolean uniform bashing the shit out of the Danes the Poles, the Saxons and the Russians.
But I guess it wouldn't be that exciting for people that are not in the involved countries since it would just be a reskinned NW with even less accurate weapons.
As much as I'd like to play any game where I'd see some swedes getting molested by Russians and Danes, that is not a very detailed description for your game idea

I added a bit more for ya :P

Offline Pinball Wizard

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2013, 05:27:59 pm »
http://www.british-civil-wars.co.uk/military/tactics.htm Some nice info on it, and reading it I think a good feature would be encouraging the use of formations more than just running around by yourself like in public play (for a battle mode). Also, pike men should be able to choose from using a Billhook weapon, a pike, or a halberd. I'm not sure if it was used, but a plug bayonet would be a nice feature granted if it was used. 

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Riddlez
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2013, 05:28:49 pm »
A WW1 game, it has been said. But one would nearly be required to make it if the eastern front since the western front was just sitting around, being sick.

Though one would wonder if that wouldn't just be another call of duty with all semi auto weapons.
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
  • Nick: FSE_Olafson
  • Side: Union
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2013, 06:51:42 pm »
Talking about WW1. Our BCOF concept document was originally a WW1 concept. Beaver and I wanted to make a WW1 game, but the others did not. At the end we decided to make  a Civil War game. We simply modified our WW1 concept and now it is BCOF.

Anyway, a WW1 game from FSE would be historicially accurate, would not be like Call of Duty, would not feature tons of submachine guns (since there werent any until 1918...) and it would not mean sitting around in a trench. It would be realistic, historically accurate and fun. It would also feature both east and western front (which does not just mean France... Why does everyone forget Italy?) as well as Africa.

Offline Emperor Napoleon

• Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 1erMar/IrishNap
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2013, 06:58:48 pm »
I would like if FSE made a sequel to NW. A standalone game would be AWESOME (With better a better engine and things.)

Offline Bramif

• Donator
  • Lolern lærer mand!
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Bramif
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2013, 10:31:32 am »
I would like to see an english civil war game! Mostly because i have never tried a game from that time period.  ;)

Offline Moogs

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Moogs
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2013, 11:29:26 am »
An English Civil War game would just be With Fire and Sword surely?

Pretty much all the units listed are in WFaS, they are both in the same time period give or take a few years. The English Civil War would just be two factions with almost identical loads outs. Whereas WFaS provides more factions and more diverse unit compositions.

I wish the rest of the FSE team went with Beaver and Olafson, a historical WW1 game would have been very interesting. Especially with the location of the team, getting first hand with the battlefield and equipment wouldn't require a transatlantic flight.

Offline Gokiller

• Almost Pride of Ni
  • Major General
  • Bydand in the chat lads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2013, 02:22:43 pm »
English Civil war... Somehow I see that as a potentional game that would have a decent population for one or two months, and then dies off. Simply because it's a civil war that isn't that well known around the world. Most likely it is for the more historian "interested" gamers. But I put my bets on it some 60% doesn't know about it, or simple doesn't bother to know more about it.

A WW1 game on the other hand would be really interesting. If you guys plan to do another game after BCoF I certainly hope it will be a WW1 game. It's getting time for a proper WW1 game.

Offline MR_Cheath

• Captain
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 1eMar_pA_Cheath
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2013, 03:29:35 pm »
Agreed! A world war1 game would probably be the most creative and inventive way you could go after Battle cry of freedom. I would also love to see it so there would actually be a realistic world war 1 game out there beside WW1 medic (go play it right now it's free).

Offline Menelaos

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2013, 03:43:08 pm »
English Civil War sounds perfect, I loved Deluge and still crave proper melee.

Offline Furrnox

• Lieutenant General
  • Eternally incorrect, centre-left, asshole.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2013, 03:54:09 pm »
Agreed! A world war1 game would probably be the most creative and inventive way you could go after Battle cry of freedom. I would also love to see it so there would actually be a realistic world war 1 game out there beside WW1 medic (go play it right now it's free).
Well there is also Verdun that's currently in beta I think. It's not that great though.

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Riddlez
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2013, 08:30:18 pm »
How about the first proper and realistic WW2 game in history?
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.