Author Topic: Gaming PC Builds  (Read 77385 times)

Offline MrTiki

• Former Moderator
  • Senior Madmin EU
    • View Profile
  • Nick: MrTiki
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Gaming PC Builds
« Reply #330 on: February 07, 2019, 02:29:40 am »
An 8700k literally costs the same as a 2700x and outperforms it by a mile. Same with a 9700k which is like $50 more.

You are just looking at the price and the core count then making assumptions. Don't mislead people. For that price I wouldn't call them good.
I mean an 8700k is 400 pounds vs 2700X for 300 (as per Amazon right now). The difference at 1440p is literally within margins for error. The 2600 is overclockable and 150 pounds, so for budget builds it's a fucking no-brainer, considering how much games benefit from a good GPU over a good CPU.

Anyway considering a budget of 2000, you may as well buy Intel, assuming you're just gaming.
Nvidea has better cards than AMD at present, although I don't think the RTX series is worth it at all, but again, if you have the budget you may as well.

2nd hand is the way to go personally, especially for GPUs, and can save you a couple hundred on a 1080ti, which is pretty even to the 2080 (other than the ray tracing gimmick).

Offline John Price

• Block guys what is this!?
  • General
  • Destroyer of RGL
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
« Reply #331 on: February 07, 2019, 04:17:54 am »
Couple more days for the GPU and the waterblocks/fittings to arrive and she is ready.

Spoiler
[close]
Knightmare is from Albania, no?
Sorry, I can't accept this team.

Offline John Price

• General
  • Destroyer of RGL
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: February 07, 2019, 09:33:27 am »
An 8700k literally costs the same as a 2700x and outperforms it by a mile. Same with a 9700k which is like $50 more.

You are just looking at the price and the core count then making assumptions. Don't mislead people. For that price I wouldn't call them good.
I mean an 8700k is 400 pounds vs 2700X for 300 (as per Amazon right now). The difference at 1440p is literally within margins for error. The 2600 is overclockable and 150 pounds, so for budget builds it's a fucking no-brainer, considering how much games benefit from a good GPU over a good CPU.

Anyway considering a budget of 2000, you may as well buy Intel, assuming you're just gaming.
Nvidea has better cards than AMD at present, although I don't think the RTX series is worth it at all, but again, if you have the budget you may as well.

2nd hand is the way to go personally, especially for GPUs, and can save you a couple hundred on a 1080ti, which is pretty even to the 2080 (other than the ray tracing gimmick).
Where are you seeing an 8700k for 400? I literally just checked and its selling for 330 or 340 :P Not a big enough difference to justify the lower performance imo.

Anyways, the discussion started out as a gaming one, but then as per most debates in general someone in particular shifted it the other way.

If an enthusiast needs a production CPU, they will buy one. Not go for the most budget thing there is.

I remember seeing a video I think where the 8700 literally beat the 2700x In Blender  everytime. If the Ryxen can't out render an i7 and it can't outgamr it I just don't understand what the appeal is.

Don't get me wrong though, I put a 2700x in my rendering PC so I'm not just an Intel fanboy, I just didn't agree with the argument being thrown out by Marceaux.

Agreed on the GPU opinion. However for Wastee first build I wouldn't recommend a second hand GPU just in case. 1080ti is cheap enough to justify buying it brand new for that budget.

Offline MrTiki

• Former Moderator
  • Senior Madmin EU
    • View Profile
  • Nick: MrTiki
« Reply #333 on: February 07, 2019, 07:06:43 pm »
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Intel-BX80684I78700K-Core-i7-8700K-Processor/dp/B07598VZR8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1549560957&sr=8-1&keywords=8700k
Most sites have them ~390, the cheapest I can find one (using PriceSpy no less) is like 365, no idea where you're getting 330-340.

Anyway, I'd have chosen the 9600k to compare it to, which is much cheaper (~250) and one of the best value for money CPUs for gaming. Considering how poorly most games utilize more than 4 cores, it's in a pretty sweet spot for the foreseeable future.

Remember that the Intel chips were released at vastly inflated prices (330-350 for the 9600k, 600 for the 9900k), the fact that they've come down so much in price is only because AMD was providing similar-ish performance for literally hundreds of pounds less.
If Zen 2 is even close to as good as current predictions have it then we'll have amazing value mid-range and content creation options, hopefully preventing Intel from gouging us too much with their 10nm chips, whenever they actually manage to make some.
In reality the real financial win for AMD is in the server market where they're clawing back masses of market share with Rome, giving them good long term income. PCs are small fry in the grand scheme of things.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 07:08:23 pm by MrTiki »

Offline John Price

• General
  • Destroyer of RGL
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: February 07, 2019, 07:46:44 pm »
Yeah everything you said is true but i still feel as thouth we are missing the point but it's whatever.

Newegg EU has it listed for 340 btw, I had the wrong site.

9 pounds delivery though.

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
  • Nick: FSE_Olafson
« Reply #335 on: February 07, 2019, 09:15:30 pm »
So I am selling a bunch of stuff, maybe anyone here is interested in it, before I put it on Ebay.

I have 2x 1080ti, a 2080 ti and 3x 16gb of Corsair Dominator Platinum 3000mhz I want to get rid of.

Offline John Price

• General
  • Destroyer of RGL
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: February 07, 2019, 10:21:53 pm »
What 1080ti and 2080 ti are they and what were you looking for each of them?

EDIT: I actually need more RAM for my rendering RIG as well.

Offline Marceaux

• Donator
  • Je suis immortel.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 1er_Capitaine_Marceaux
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #337 on: February 08, 2019, 03:42:28 am »
So I am selling a bunch of stuff, maybe anyone here is interested in it, before I put it on Ebay.

I have 2x 1080ti, a 2080 ti and 3x 16gb of Corsair Dominator Platinum 3000mhz I want to get rid of.

How much you wanting for 1 1080ti? I legit might buy it.

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: February 08, 2019, 10:50:46 am »
Suggest something, whatever you think its worth.

The 1080tis are MSI Gaming cards. I have used both of them for roughly a year in a SLI setup.

Here is the first one:
Spoiler
[close]

And here is the 2nd one wrapped up, but its the same thing obviously:
Spoiler

[close]

The 2080ti is a KFA2 OC. I have not used it at all, I have not even removed the wrapping from it. I bought it on Ebay, from a guy who also did not use it, because he decided to get a cheaper 1080ti instead. I decided to get a 3fan Zotac instead, so I never used it at all.

Spoiler

[close]

And heres the ram:
Spoiler
[close]
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 10:53:58 am by Olafson »

Offline John Price

• General
  • Destroyer of RGL
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: February 08, 2019, 01:05:17 pm »
I'll have a think about the GPU's. I just literally bought this:

Spoiler

[close]

So as you can imagine I will need to find some time to justify those costs in my twisted head even if I am in need of more GPU's ::)

The RAM I will most likely take off your hands though. We can chat about that on Steam.

https://steamcommunity.com/id/Chrisehh/

Offline William

• Major General
  • What doth life?
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel where I upload NW and M&B
  • Nick: CluelessWill
« Reply #340 on: February 08, 2019, 06:23:48 pm »
How much are you charging for the cards and do you offer an FSE forum member discount? ;-)
Check out my YT channel where I post NW www.youtube. com/c/CluelessWill
Spoiler
god damn, Anthony is smart, he was able to get the shit AEF to tie with the best reg in the game. The tactical geniusness needed to pull off such a feat is insane. He's the Erwin Rommel of NW.
i always get an erection when i check my subscrptions and see that phresh cluelesswill vid
It won't be FSE developing it, so it will come out!
[close]

Offline Marceaux

• Donator
  • Je suis immortel.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 1er_Capitaine_Marceaux
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #341 on: February 08, 2019, 06:28:19 pm »
How much are you charging for the cards and do you offer an FSE forum member discount? ;-)

Only donators get the discount XD

Offline William

• Major General
  • What doth life?
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel where I upload NW and M&B
  • Nick: CluelessWill
« Reply #342 on: February 08, 2019, 06:36:50 pm »
So should I realistically aim for a higher 10series of cards like a 1070 or 1080 over my 1060, or just jump the gun and get a 2060?
Check out my YT channel where I post NW www.youtube. com/c/CluelessWill
Spoiler
god damn, Anthony is smart, he was able to get the shit AEF to tie with the best reg in the game. The tactical geniusness needed to pull off such a feat is insane. He's the Erwin Rommel of NW.
i always get an erection when i check my subscrptions and see that phresh cluelesswill vid
It won't be FSE developing it, so it will come out!
[close]

Offline John Price

• General
  • Destroyer of RGL
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: February 08, 2019, 06:45:12 pm »
In the US you can buy second hand 1080ti's for like 4-500 now. That's 2080 comparable performance without the ray tracing  gimmick. Whereas the 2060 site between the 1070 and 1070ti range for the same price.

No brainer if you ask me :)

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: February 08, 2019, 08:13:17 pm »
Yeah, get a used 1080ti.

Offer me something. I am not in it for the money.