Poll

Do you think saber briquets should do more damage?

Yes.
No.
No but make them faster.

Author Topic: A point on bayonets and shortswords/saber-briquets  (Read 16025 times)

Offline KillerMongoose

• Major
  • "And I believe I have cut your throat"- Fiore
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Wryngwyrm
  • Side: Neutral
A point on bayonets and shortswords/saber-briquets
« on: August 13, 2013, 06:55:26 am »
There is something I want to point out about bayonets and bayonet fighting and its current representation in-game. The thing to be remembered is that muskets are long and heavy weapons, about 10+ pounds of wood and metal and a 1-2 pound bayonet at the end of it. The speed with which a bayonet can be thrust, feinted, and blocked with and any sequence of the three is insane, the bayonet is just tossed around like it weighs less than a feather. The bayonet is not a graceful weapon, it shouldn't be treated like one. I suggest that bayonets have the "unbalanced" trait which makes recovering from thrusts longer, it keeps the thrusting speed but when recovering from a thrust, the reaction will be slower due to the character struggling to regain control of the 12+ pound pole that he just shoved forward as hard as he could.

Another thing I want to point out is that saber briquets and shortswords have as much effect as a dull butterknife striking steel. I understand that a saber briquet is not an ideal combat weapon but striking somebody with a direct hit to the face should not be any less lethal than a bayonet to the face. The damage a long blade like that can do to the human head is horrifying, and if stabs to the stomach (which is an infamously slow and painful death) can be instant kills, slashes to the face and neck should be too. I'm not asking for the saber briquet to be a super weapon or to even be on par with bayonets, just that they be realistic.

Offline Madbull

• Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 63e_Grd_Madbull
  • Side: Union
Re: A point on bayonets and shortswords/saber-briquets
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 07:02:08 am »
I couldn't agree with you any more. Unfortunately, there was tons of controversy when they patched the melee system balancing the upper stab. Just imagine what

would happen if they completely changed the system making melee a lot less favorable.

Offline Ryner

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 07:05:07 am »
It is a game, not real life. The line has to be drawn somewhere.

AntonioTheWorstAtMelee

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 07:08:45 am »
I can bench press 12lb don't be a pussy

Offline KillerMongoose

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 07:27:20 am »
It is a game, not real life. The line has to be drawn somewhere.
It's a game that at least puts some attention to realism. The shortswords should at least be worth their weight, as it stands everybody drops them because they're useless.

I can bench press 12lb don't be a pussy
Benching 12lb and thrusting a 12lb musket are different things my friend.

Offline Ryner

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 07:34:36 am »
If you want to start complaining about realism then start complaining about the games melee in general. If this game were realistic it, would be nearly impossible to block a musket the way it is depicted. Chambering is far more realistic than blocking. My point being, you can't make it too realistic or it loses appeal to the a large amount of players/ potential customers.

Offline KillerMongoose

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 07:40:44 am »
I understand that but I feel the point about shortswords is still valid, as it stands they are useless dead weights and illogically weak.

Offline Mathias

• Captain
  • 1st place 1v1 and a little more since I forgot
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 07:43:48 am »
Hah I remembering clutching with sword bayonet many times in the 60th rifles ''Shank a bitch'' is my catch line :D

Offline Dionysus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Dionysus
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2013, 08:11:05 am »
I think cavalry swords and officer swords feint speed needs to be slowed down. Its quite fucking annoying trying to block someone that abuses how OP it is.

Offline Modig

• First Lieutenant
  • Aspirerande arbetsaristoj
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2013, 10:05:01 am »
It's a game that got shit when they turned away attention from the melee, that was perfect in MM, to favor fancy uniforms and drum-musiv over it.

But fine. Utterly destroy the gameplay when we finally made it playable.

Offline Gokiller

• Almost Pride of Ni
  • Major General
  • Bydand in the chat lads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2013, 12:51:05 pm »
It's a game that got shit when they turned away attention from the melee, that was perfect in MM, to favor fancy uniforms and drum-musiv over it.

Who exactly is "we"?

Offline Richard_Miller

• First Lieutenant
  • Traitor troooollll #BStrongCoony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2013, 12:57:57 pm »
well if you are going to say that then you may as well remove the blocking system to it is not how people would have stopped a bayonet being thrust into their face at all remove blocks leave chambers will make things far more bloody and much more interesting.

evidence: in russia bayonet fighting is a national sport

Offline Archduke Sven

• Brigadier General
  • I have over 1000 warning points, be careful.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: regimentless sven
  • Side: Union
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2013, 01:48:26 pm »
Guys, if the game was to be realistic the other side would run away before meeting their charging opponent with the bayonet. No point in making the bayonet worse and then saying it is realisitic, because if it were to be realistic nobody would ever use it in an actual melee.

told that bih don't @ me

Offline Richard_Miller

• First Lieutenant
  • Traitor troooollll #BStrongCoony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2013, 03:46:17 pm »
Guys, if the game was to be realistic the other side would run away before meeting their charging opponent with the bayonet. No point in making the bayonet worse and then saying it is realisitic, because if it were to be realistic nobody would ever use it in an actual melee.

am i the only one that would like to make bayonets even more deadly then they already are i would love to see a bloody bayonet charge where both sides take heavy losses and are consumed in a storm of blood and steel.  >:(

Offline Modig

• First Lieutenant
  • Aspirerande arbetsaristoj
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2013, 07:02:30 pm »

Who exactly is "we"?

How silly to assume elitism.

The collective work, discussing and empirism of the community, in relation to the devs, has benefited us with a working melee system to date, ofcourse.