Author Topic: Armament change for the Landwehr Unit (Prussia)  (Read 2598 times)

Offline TheBoberton

• Knight of Blueberry
  • Colonel
  • I don't want no pardon for anything I done
    • View Profile
    • Thomas' Steam Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
Armament change for the Landwehr Unit (Prussia)
« on: February 28, 2013, 11:04:58 pm »
Looking through the history of the landwehr regiments raised by the Prussians, one finds that they were, by and large, very poorly armed. Perhaps it may be best if an option was added that permitted us to choose if we wish to use longarm (Cavalry or infantry musket, maybe a random chance to get one or the other) or a polearm. (A short pike, similar to the Russian militia) This would help make them feel less like the average soldiers of the line, and more like what they historically were. (That being militia, of course.)

Any opinions are welcome, as well as people who can word this better than I.

Offline Menelaos

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
Re: Armament change for the Landwehr Unit (Prussia)
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 01:18:37 am »
I think the cavalry musket would just lead to imbalance since a high weapons skill with a fast swinging gun could just mess up infantry on Prussia.

Offline TheBoberton

• Knight of Blueberry
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Thomas' Steam Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 01:10:58 pm »
I think the cavalry musket would just lead to imbalance since a high weapons skill with a fast swinging gun could just mess up infantry on Prussia.

The polearm skill for the Landwehr could be lowered... since they're... you know... militia..

Offline KillerMongoose

• Major
  • "And I believe I have cut your throat"- Fiore
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Wryngwyrm
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 03:11:18 pm »
If I remember correctly the Prussian landwehr all at least had guns, they were militia however Prussia went through some big changes in its army and lots of landwehr units were raised to make up for the regular troops that they lost. I might be wrong though, but I'm pretty sure they all had guns at the very least.

Offline TheBoberton

• Knight of Blueberry
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Thomas' Steam Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 03:55:01 pm »
If I remember correctly the Prussian landwehr all at least had guns, they were militia however Prussia went through some big changes in its army and lots of landwehr units were raised to make up for the regular troops that they lost. I might be wrong though, but I'm pretty sure they all had guns at the very least.

Aye, the Kurmark regiments were, as far as I know armed with firearms during the Waterloo campaign, but I figured that pikes would allow for a greater variety in the faction, as well as allow the proper representation of Landwehr from earlier years. (Would make events portraying such battles easier.)

But at the very least the selection between infantry and cavalry muskets would be nice. (With the proper stat changes for the unit, of course.)

Offline Archduke Sven

• Brigadier General
  • I have over 1000 warning points, be careful.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: regimentless sven
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 10:21:56 am »
 At first, the front rank was often armed with pikes or scythes, and it was only as French muskets were taken from the battlefields that the men were armed with yet another pattern of firearm. There was a great dearth of officers, as most of the half-pay officers still fit for service were required for the reserve battalions. (Petre - "Napoleon at War" p 114)

"Theoretically the Landwehr were to be used only for home defence purposes within the frontiers of Prussia, but in practice they were used exactly as if they were regulars. Initially only 20,000 were raised, armed with French muskets gathered up by the Russians as they pursued the disintegrating Grande Armee out of Russia." ( - Digby-Smith )

told that bih don't @ me

Offline ClearlyInvsible

• Donator
  • I'm still here. Dunno why.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: ClearlyInvsible
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 06:17:08 pm »
Give them Cavalry muskets, make them worse shots but faster melee.

This should also mean that their reload speed should be lowered also.
"No man will make a great leader who wants to do it all himself or get all the credit for doing it."- Andrew Carnegie
“A man who has no conscience, no goodness, does not suffer.” - Khaled Hosseini
Faggots will burn in hell anyway, who cares.

Offline Walko

• Brigadier General
  • Tired art student.
    • View Profile
    • 4. Silesian Landwehr
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2013, 06:19:42 pm »
As a landwehr unit, I would still personally still just use the infantry muskets, but that's just me.
Pointy stick champion