Author Topic: Favorite fighters  (Read 4671 times)

Offline DoctorWarband

• Colonel
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: DoctorWarbandHD
  • Side: Union
Re: Favorite fighters
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2013, 03:53:59 pm »
Ah!
Really an easy question for me!

Vercingetorix, the lord of the last Gallic warriors and the one that fought Julius Caesar in the so called "Seige of Alesia".
The Dankest of Memes, start in the simplest of words. Wombo combo.

Offline Skyz

• Second Lieutenant
  • The Hour Kills the Patient
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2013, 05:11:44 am »
It's to hard for me to say which is my favorite General. I do know during WWII there were a few Soviet Generals that i admired.

Offline KillerMongoose

• Major
  • "And I believe I have cut your throat"- Fiore
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Wryngwyrm
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2013, 05:49:31 am »
This is fighters, not generals

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2013, 09:19:34 am »
Patton fits in both those catagories.

Offline The Nutty Pig

• Donator
  • It wasn't easy being cheesy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2013, 09:20:24 am »
Call me old fashioned but my favourite is sub-zero  :-\

Offline Tucky

• Sergeant
  • A Sheep.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Gregis_the_Sheep
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2013, 04:45:59 pm »
Mine would probably be Major Robert Cain, due to his efforts in the battle of Arnhem, of which he received a VC for.

Although Jack Churchill and Bill Millin are close behind, just for them being completely mad

Offline ClearlyInvsible

• Donator
  • I'm still here. Dunno why.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: ClearlyInvsible
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2013, 09:39:56 pm »
I tip my hat to Ney. Most bad-ass French general of the wars.
"No man will make a great leader who wants to do it all himself or get all the credit for doing it."- Andrew Carnegie
“A man who has no conscience, no goodness, does not suffer.” - Khaled Hosseini
Faggots will burn in hell anyway, who cares.

Offline Anthony Venison

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2013, 01:18:52 pm »
I think the most humorous story about an Officer is that of Lieutenant General Sir Thomas Picton. During the battle at Waterloo his uniform had not been delivered in time meaning he had to ride on horseback wearing his civilian clothes.

That aside my favourite Hero would be either Spartacus or Alexander the Great. Both conquered such greatness when faced with sheer masses of opposition and prevailed time and time again.

Offline Viriathus

• Major
  • Rua, suas cabras!
    • View Profile
    • YouTube Channel
  • Nick: RI23_Cpt_Viriathus
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2013, 12:42:15 am »
Viriathus, Lusitani Tribe Warlord, deafeated the romans over and over again with guerilla tactics

Offline Pinball Wizard

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2013, 01:04:41 am »
Micky Ward  8)

Offline Noodlenrice

• Major
  • King of Nam'
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 71st_Pte_Noodlenrice
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2013, 01:32:17 am »
I'll Say mine is Alvin York

Spoiler
During an attack by his battalion to capture German positions along the Decauville rail-line north of Chatel-Chéhéry, France, on October 8, 1918, York's actions earned him the Medal of Honor.[15] He recalled:[16]
The Germans got us, and they got us right smart. They just stopped us dead in our tracks. Their machine guns were up there on the heights overlooking us and well hidden, and we couldn’t tell for certain where the terrible heavy fire was coming from... And I'm telling you they were shooting straight. Our boys just went down like the long grass before the mowing machine at home. Our attack just faded out... And there we were, lying down, about halfway across [the valley] and those German machine guns and big shells getting us hard.
Under the command of Sergeant Bernard Early, four non-commissioned officers, including recently promoted Cpl. York,[17] and thirteen privates were ordered to infiltrate behind the German lines to take out the machine guns. The group worked their way behind the Germans and overran the headquarters of a German unit, capturing a large group of German soldiers who were preparing a counter-attack against the U.S. troops. Early's men were contending with the prisoners when machine gun fire suddenly peppered the area, killing six Americans: Corp. Murray Savage, and Pvts. Maryan E. Dymowski, Ralph E. Weiler, Fred Waring, William Wins and Walter E. Swanson, and wounding three others, Sgt. Early, Corp. William S. Cutting (aka Otis B. Merrithew), and Pvt. Mario Muzzi. The fire came from German machine guns on the ridge. The loss of the nine put Corporal York in charge of the seven remaining U.S. soldiers, Pvts. Joseph Kornacki, Percy Beardsley, Feodor Sok, Thomas G. Johnson, Michael A. Saccina, Patrick Donohue, and George W. Wills. As his men remained under cover, guarding the prisoners, York worked his way into position to silence the German machine guns. York recalled:[18]

328th Infantry Regiment of 82nd Division advances in preparation to capture Hill 223 on October 7, 1918.
And those machine guns were spitting fire and cutting down the undergrowth all around me something awful. And the Germans were yelling orders. You never heard such a racket in all of your life. I didn't have time to dodge behind a tree or dive into the brush... As soon as the machine guns opened fire on me, I began to exchange shots with them. There were over thirty of them in continuous action, and all I could do was touch the Germans off just as fast as I could. I was sharp shooting... All the time I kept yelling at them to come down. I didn't want to kill any more than I had to. But it was they or I. And I was giving them the best I had.

York at the hill where his actions earned him the Medal of Honor, three months after the end of World War I, February 7, 1919
During the assault, six German soldiers in a trench near York charged him with fixed bayonets. York had fired all the rounds in his M1917 Enfield rifle,[19] but drew his .45 Colt automatic pistol[20] and shot all six soldiers before they could reach him.[21]
German First Lieutenant Paul Jürgen Vollmer, commander of the First Battalion, 120th Landwehr Infantry, emptied his pistol trying to kill York while he was contending with the machine guns. Failing to injure York, and seeing his mounting losses, he offered in English to surrender the unit to York, who accepted.[22] By the end of the engagement, York and his seven men marched 132 German prisoners back to the American lines. His actions silenced the German machine guns and were responsible for enabling the 328th Infantry to renew its attack to capture the Decauville Railroad.[23]
York was promptly promoted to Sergeant and awarded the Distinguished Service Cross for his heroism. A few months later, following a thorough investigation, he was awarded the Medal of Honor, presented to York by the commanding general of the American Expeditionary Force, General John J. Pershing. The French Republic awarded him the Croix de Guerre and the Legion of Honor. Italy awarded him its Croce di Guerra al Merito and Montenegro its War Medal.[24][25] He eventually received nearly 50 decorations.[25] His Medal of Honor citation reads:[26]
After his platoon suffered heavy casualties and 3 other noncommissioned officers had become casualties, Cpl. York assumed command. Fearlessly leading 7 men, he charged with great daring a machine gun nest which was pouring deadly and incessant fire upon his platoon. In this heroic feat the machine gun nest was taken, together with 4 officers and 128 men and several guns.
Of his deeds, York said to his division commander, General Julian Robert Lindsey, in 1919:
A higher power than man power guided and watched over me and told me what to do
[close]
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 03:26:42 am by Noodlenrice »

Offline Menelaos

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2013, 04:19:02 am »
Your Wikipedia is showing.

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • This blamed fight aint got a rear
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2013, 06:58:24 pm »
Mine would be Colonel Mosby and his Rangers.

Spoiler
[close]

I had his memior somewhere and I remember reading it was alot of fun. He sure  did had a pack of action. Defied so many captures, he actually did get captured few time but he managed to eavedrop the HQ and the yanks traded him for other yanks. He went straight to Lee to inform this plan causing Stuart to raid McClellan easily.

He also once rounded up a small section and snuck in Union camp at middle of night. Captured Edwin Soughton, he was just about to be Brigadier General until Washington heard this story and had a laugh. He resigned. What happened is that Colonel Mosby snuck in successfully and walked in his HQ. Took his sheet off and slapped his back, he was very upset to be awoken and Mosby asked, "Do you know who is Mosby sir?" He replied "Yes, have you found him?" And Mosby replied, "No He has found you, you're my prisoner now" and he made it out of the camp with the general.  ;D ;D

Offline Allasaphore

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2013, 09:52:33 pm »
Rodrigo Diaz, "El Cid" (1043-1099).

Offline TheZach_Attack

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Zach_Attack
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2013, 10:34:33 pm »
I'll Say mine is Alvin York

Spoiler
During an attack by his battalion to capture German positions along the Decauville rail-line north of Chatel-Chéhéry, France, on October 8, 1918, York's actions earned him the Medal of Honor.[15] He recalled:[16]
The Germans got us, and they got us right smart. They just stopped us dead in our tracks. Their machine guns were up there on the heights overlooking us and well hidden, and we couldn’t tell for certain where the terrible heavy fire was coming from... And I'm telling you they were shooting straight. Our boys just went down like the long grass before the mowing machine at home. Our attack just faded out... And there we were, lying down, about halfway across [the valley] and those German machine guns and big shells getting us hard.
Under the command of Sergeant Bernard Early, four non-commissioned officers, including recently promoted Cpl. York,[17] and thirteen privates were ordered to infiltrate behind the German lines to take out the machine guns. The group worked their way behind the Germans and overran the headquarters of a German unit, capturing a large group of German soldiers who were preparing a counter-attack against the U.S. troops. Early's men were contending with the prisoners when machine gun fire suddenly peppered the area, killing six Americans: Corp. Murray Savage, and Pvts. Maryan E. Dymowski, Ralph E. Weiler, Fred Waring, William Wins and Walter E. Swanson, and wounding three others, Sgt. Early, Corp. William S. Cutting (aka Otis B. Merrithew), and Pvt. Mario Muzzi. The fire came from German machine guns on the ridge. The loss of the nine put Corporal York in charge of the seven remaining U.S. soldiers, Pvts. Joseph Kornacki, Percy Beardsley, Feodor Sok, Thomas G. Johnson, Michael A. Saccina, Patrick Donohue, and George W. Wills. As his men remained under cover, guarding the prisoners, York worked his way into position to silence the German machine guns. York recalled:[18]

328th Infantry Regiment of 82nd Division advances in preparation to capture Hill 223 on October 7, 1918.
And those machine guns were spitting fire and cutting down the undergrowth all around me something awful. And the Germans were yelling orders. You never heard such a racket in all of your life. I didn't have time to dodge behind a tree or dive into the brush... As soon as the machine guns opened fire on me, I began to exchange shots with them. There were over thirty of them in continuous action, and all I could do was touch the Germans off just as fast as I could. I was sharp shooting... All the time I kept yelling at them to come down. I didn't want to kill any more than I had to. But it was they or I. And I was giving them the best I had.

York at the hill where his actions earned him the Medal of Honor, three months after the end of World War I, February 7, 1919
During the assault, six German soldiers in a trench near York charged him with fixed bayonets. York had fired all the rounds in his M1917 Enfield rifle,[19] but drew his .45 Colt automatic pistol[20] and shot all six soldiers before they could reach him.[21]
German First Lieutenant Paul Jürgen Vollmer, commander of the First Battalion, 120th Landwehr Infantry, emptied his pistol trying to kill York while he was contending with the machine guns. Failing to injure York, and seeing his mounting losses, he offered in English to surrender the unit to York, who accepted.[22] By the end of the engagement, York and his seven men marched 132 German prisoners back to the American lines. His actions silenced the German machine guns and were responsible for enabling the 328th Infantry to renew its attack to capture the Decauville Railroad.[23]
York was promptly promoted to Sergeant and awarded the Distinguished Service Cross for his heroism. A few months later, following a thorough investigation, he was awarded the Medal of Honor, presented to York by the commanding general of the American Expeditionary Force, General John J. Pershing. The French Republic awarded him the Croix de Guerre and the Legion of Honor. Italy awarded him its Croce di Guerra al Merito and Montenegro its War Medal.[24][25] He eventually received nearly 50 decorations.[25] His Medal of Honor citation reads:[26]
After his platoon suffered heavy casualties and 3 other noncommissioned officers had become casualties, Cpl. York assumed command. Fearlessly leading 7 men, he charged with great daring a machine gun nest which was pouring deadly and incessant fire upon his platoon. In this heroic feat the machine gun nest was taken, together with 4 officers and 128 men and several guns.
Of his deeds, York said to his division commander, General Julian Robert Lindsey, in 1919:
A higher power than man power guided and watched over me and told me what to do
[close]
I live right where he used to live, well not really, the same state ^.

Mine would have to be Alexander the Great. He always put himself in just as much danger as his soldiers.