Author Topic: French Regiments  (Read 2064 times)

Offline toby

• First Lieutenant
  • #YOLO
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
French Regiments
« on: June 24, 2013, 03:51:25 pm »
Would anyone be able to give me a list, or some sources on the french (and their Allies) regiments, of all types, and corps that fought in the Peninsular Campaign.
Thanks, Toby. ;D

Offline Tali

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Re: French Regiments
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 04:15:51 pm »
This is an amazing source, but sadly it does not include french forces yet.

I did manage to find some more information regarding the french, here , But sadly, no individual regiments are listed
Spoiler
The first French 'Army of Spain' had 160,000-170,000 men, organized in five army corps, each with own staff, artillery, cavalry and engineers.
 Corps - General de Division Junot [25,000 men in 22 battalions and 7 squadrons]
 Corps - General de Division Dupont [24,000 men in 21 battalions and 15 squadrons]
 Corps - Marshal Moncey [29,000 men in 47 battalions and 12 squadrons]
 Corps - Marshal Bessieres [19,000 men in 27 battalions and 9 squadrons]
 Corps - General de Division Duhesme [12,500 men in 14 battalions and 9 squadrons]
 Imperial Guard - General de Division Dorsenne [3,000 infantry and 1,700 cavalry, unknown artillery and engineers]
 Troops joining army in summer 1808 [48,000 men]

In the following years the army was steadily growing in numbers. In July 1811 there were 355,000 French soldiers [290,000 effectives] in Peninsula.
[close]

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 04:21:18 pm »
I can't help you for the French or any other nation, but I can give you this:
For the Dutch, there was the I/2e ligne and II/4e ligne who formed the Royal Holland Brigade (Or King Louis Brigade) under the command of Chassé. The 3rd Hussars and some horse artillery served with them.

In 1810 the Infantry became the 125e De ligne (But changed to the 130e later), the Hussars became the Red lancers and left Spain, and the horse artillery ended up somewhere in a French artillery batallion. The infantry would continue serving in the peninsular and France until the end of the war.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 04:23:12 pm by Duuring »

Offline toby

• First Lieutenant
  • #YOLO
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 04:33:24 pm »
Thanks both of you, very helpful allowed me to find some of the regiments by looking up the brigades.

Offline Mr T

• Major General
  • Je Passe Quand Meme
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Mortier
  • Side: Union
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2013, 05:53:57 pm »
French Army in Spain 1811: http://napoleonistyka.atspace.com/French_Order_of_Battle_in_Spain_in_1811.htm

I'll also give ye a bit of info on the Marshals and Corp's left in 1808.
After the major invasion in 1808, Napoleon returned to France leaving Soult in command, the Corps left in Spain were Ney's 6e Corps, Soults 4e Corps, the 1er Corps and the 5e Corps from what I recall.
Polish troops and other French allied troops were sent to the Peninsula, thousands of conscripts were also sent during the later period of the 1st Empire.
Marshal Jourdan was Joseph Bonaparte (King of Spain), in 1809 Marshal Soult was tasked with taking Portugal, after being forced out by Wellington, Marshal Victor engaged with him at Talavera. Marshal Massena (probably one the best of Napoleon's Marshals sent to the Peninsula along with Soult) then pursued Wellington into Portugal until reaching the Lines of Torres Vedras in 1810 and withdrawing in 1811. Ney was dismissed by Massena in 1811 so he returned to France.
Marshal Marmont fought Wellington at Salamanca and was wounded early in the battle, at Vitoria Jourdan commanded.
Soult would continue to fight Wellington to the best of his ability in the Pyrenees and Southern France, performing well despite the challenge against him.   

Offline toby

• First Lieutenant
  • #YOLO
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2013, 06:11:21 pm »
French Army in Spain 1811: http://napoleonistyka.atspace.com/French_Order_of_Battle_in_Spain_in_1811.htm

I'll also give ye a bit of info on the Marshals and Corp's left in 1808.
After the major invasion in 1808, Napoleon returned to France leaving Soult in command, the Corps left in Spain were Ney's 6e Corps, Soults 4e Corps, the 1er Corps and the 5e Corps from what I recall.
Polish troops and other French allied troops were sent to the Peninsula, thousands of conscripts were also sent during the later period of the 1st Empire.
Marshal Jourdan was Joseph Bonaparte (King of Spain), in 1809 Marshal Soult was tasked with taking Portugal, after being forced out by Wellington, Marshal Victor engaged with him at Talavera. Marshal Massena (probably one the best of Napoleon's Marshals sent to the Peninsula along with Soult) then pursued Wellington into Portugal until reaching the Lines of Torres Vedras in 1810 and withdrawing in 1811. Ney was dismissed by Massena in 1811 so he returned to France.
Marshal Marmont fought Wellington at Salamanca and was wounded early in the battle, at Vitoria Jourdan commanded.
Soult would continue to fight Wellington to the best of his ability in the Pyrenees and Southern France, performing well despite the challenge against him.   
Thanks Mr T, most helpful