Author Topic: Favourite Napoleonic Commanders  (Read 8204 times)

Offline Jelly

• Colonel
  • Formerly of 1stKDG, 60th, 1erChas, K-KA
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Favourite Napoleonic Commanders
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2013, 08:56:44 pm »
Lord Nelson

Offline James Grant

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2013, 12:01:28 am »
I'm rather fond of Massena but then I'm fond of most Frenchmen who lost to us British.

Wellington has to be one of the most innovative and best generals of the era but I also think John Moore was excellent.

Offline Erik le Rouge

• Lieutenant General
  • Depardieu best dieu
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 4e_Huss_Cpt_Erik
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2013, 03:52:14 pm »
Without a doubt, Antoine Lasalle. A man able to take a fortress defended by around 20.000 Prussians with 500 French hussars has to be considered as a hero.
Napoleon said, about him : "If my hussars take fortress, There is no need for artillery and genius, I can disband all of it !" :)

Also, he was leading the proud 7e Hussards during the Napoleonic Wars, so I can't dislike a man like Lasalle.
His death was full of glory too, he died like a Middle-Ages Knight, while charging with fury at Wagram... then headshot :'(
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 01:24:00 pm by Erik le Rouge »
Quote from: Treiz35
fuck erik
Quote from: Dokletian
fuck erik
Quote from: Sinjide
yeah fuck erik
Quote from: Aless
fuck erik
Quote from: Michnicki 1
fuck Erik
Quote from: Charles la Valette
i love erik
Quote from: TxM
fuck erik
Quote from: FreyrDS
fuck Erik
Quote from: Termito
fuck erik.
Quote from: Ciiges
fuck erik
Quote from: Remao
fuck Erik

Offline Lagier

• Private
  • Discipline, Honour and Courage.
    • View Profile
    • Nova Simulatio
  • Nick: Lagier
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2013, 05:46:42 am »
Michel Ney, le Rougeaud and le Brave des braves; August Wilhelm Antonius Graf Neidhardt von Gneisenau and Miguel Ricardo de Álava y Esquível.

Offline Joker11

• Second Lieutenant
  • Everything you can imagine is real
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 1stWFI_Gefr_Joker
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2013, 02:44:11 pm »
William II of Orange would be my favorite
He entered the British Army, and in 1811, as aide-de-camp to Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington, took part in several campaigns of the Peninsular War. He was made Lieutenant-Colonel in the British Army on 11 June 1811[2] and Colonel on 21 October that year.[3] On 8 September 1812 he was made an Aide-de-Camp to the Prince Regent[4] and on 14 December 1813 promoted to Major-General.[5] His courage and good nature made him very popular with the British, who nicknamed him "Slender Billy." He returned to the Netherlands in 1813 when his father became sovereign prince.

In 1815, he took service in the army when Napoleon I of France escaped from Elba. He fought as commander of I Allied Corps at the Battle of Quatre Bras (16 June 1815) and the Battle of Waterloo (18 June 1815), where he was wounded.[6]

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2013, 03:01:02 pm »
He entered the British Army, and in 1811, as aide-de-camp to Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington, took part in several campaigns of the Peninsular War. He was made Lieutenant-Colonel in the British Army on 11 June 1811[2] and Colonel on 21 October that year.[3] On 8 September 1812 he was made an Aide-de-Camp to the Prince Regent[4] and on 14 December 1813 promoted to Major-General.[5] His courage and good nature made him very popular with the British, who nicknamed him "Slender Billy." He returned to the Netherlands in 1813 when his father became sovereign prince.

In 1815, he took service in the army when Napoleon I of France escaped from Elba. He fought as commander of I Allied Corps at the Battle of Quatre Bras (16 June 1815) and the Battle of Waterloo (18 June 1815), where he was wounded.[6]

I approve, though your post might look a bit more serious if you removed the obvious Wikipedia marks.

His Peninsular and Waterloo campaigns set aside, his later carreer is often over-looked. In 1831 he once again commanded the army, this time against the Belgian revolutionaries. While he suffered a defeat trying to meet the revolutionaries head on in the streets (Belgians just love telling us Dutchies about that), a few months later he would decisively crush the insurrectionists armies in the Ten days Campaign - Had the French not send 70.000 men to the aid of Belgium (Which, by the way, happened after the Belgians had been defeated), the rebels would have lost.

Offline TheBoberton

• Knight of Blueberry
  • Colonel
  • I don't want no pardon for anything I done
    • View Profile
    • Thomas' Steam Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2013, 03:41:42 pm »
You want obscure? I can do obscure.

Lieutenant Colonel John Macdonnell, who, during his very brief command of a portion Major General Sir Isaac Brock's forces, nearly drove the Americans from the Queenston Heights after the general's death. He was, quite unfortunately, slain in the attempt.

Offline Joker11

• Second Lieutenant
  • Everything you can imagine is real
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 1stWFI_Gefr_Joker
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2013, 09:27:22 pm »

I approve, though your post might look a bit more serious if you removed the obvious Wikipedia marks.

His Peninsular and Waterloo campaigns set aside, his later carreer is often over-looked. In 1831 he once again commanded the army, this time against the Belgian revolutionaries. While he suffered a defeat trying to meet the revolutionaries head on in the streets (Belgians just love telling us Dutchies about that), a few months later he would decisively crush the insurrectionists armies in the Ten days Campaign - Had the French not send 70.000 men to the aid of Belgium (Which, by the way, happened after the Belgians had been defeated), the rebels would have lost.
Ehh I'm on my phone I'm way to lazy

Offline Allasaphore

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2013, 05:58:50 pm »
Joachim Murat (1762-1815)
Cavalry commander and one of the Marshals of France under Napoleon, became King of Naples 1808-1815. Served with Napoleon 1796-1808, becoming King of Naples in that year. Naples remained a French ally throughout the remainder of the Napoleonic Wars, except briefly in 1814.

Google his battle information, as I'm too lazy to type it out and don't want to access an encyclopedic source.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2013, 08:15:40 pm »
Also one of the most notorious and hated commanders in the French army ever.

Offline Allasaphore

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2013, 08:24:49 pm »
Apparently a beloved King of Naples, though. At least according to one of my professors I took, whose PhD is in History, specializing in Italian History.

Offline Killington

• Major General
  • Everyone's favourite
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2013, 08:37:43 pm »
Grimsight
Spoiler
He forced me to say that, call the police!
[close]
In theory we could do huge player numbers far over 500 players per server...  As such we will surely keep our promise to deliver you the 500 players per server.

We will probably go (far) over it, but that's for later.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2013, 09:04:14 pm »
Apparently a beloved King of Naples, though.

As long as he stayed on Nap's side, who was popular with the Naples people. The army deserted en masse after Murat betrayed Napoleon.

Offline Docm30

• First Lieutenant
  • Retired.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2013, 02:36:50 am »
One needs only to look at his attempt to gain supporters in Calabria in 1815 to see that he was not well liked in Naples at all. He was swarmed by angry mobs, physically assaulted and then arrested.

Offline Allasaphore

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2013, 04:16:41 am »
Eh, I probably should have specified that he was popularly supported before 1813. That business after Leipzig was indeed sketchy, but it appears that the people of Naples preferred him over the Bourbons up until that point.

His landing in Calabria was greatly misjudged, to be sure. Where he was arrested (by the soldiers of Ferdinand IV) was the city of Pizzo, an area that had essentially gotten crushed by the anti-piracy laws passed by Murat. It should be noted that the city of Naples is not in the region of Calabria, but in Campania. He may have met more support had he landed in another area: perhaps Apulia or Abruzzo. We'll never know that though, as he was executed in Pizzo.

The man was a reformer of sorts, but was eventually killed by soldiers of the regime. Historically speaking, southern Italy isn't eager to change, as we see with the Kingdom of Italy (1861-1946). Perhaps it is a response of this kind that resulted in the hostility Murat met at Pizzo, accompanied by exhaustion from approximately twenty years of war and revolution in Italy. All we can do is speculate.

(In all honesty though, landing in such an economically depressed region at the end of a revolutionary era is bad enough. Doing it as the leader who eventually caused this depression, in the holdings of someone such as Ferdinand IV borders on the insane.)

A stunning failure of a return, his reception at Pizzo does not necessarily mean that he was universally disliked. That is like saying a President will go to a town (take my own town, x, for this example) x and meet a terrible reaction there. If this is the case, then the President is widely unpopular. Such logic doesn't add up, of course, so the conclusion needs to be garnered from contemporary writings throughout the Kingdom of Naples.

Brought some somewhat contemporary quotes on Neapolitan government at the time. This is from the Bourbons (to 1799) to the Bourbons (again), and includes the Parthenopean Republic (1799), the Kingdom of Naples (1808-1815) under Murat, and the Kingdom of Naples (1801-1808) under Ferdinand IV.

Spoiler
The Bourbons were unpopular.
"Ferdinand looked askance at our nascent freedom, and from Palermo was trying every means to recover his lost Kingdom. He has powerful allies, who for us were terrible enemies, especially the English..." (Vincenzo Cuoco, Historical Essay on the Neapolitan Revolution of 1799 published 1801)

Neapolitan disregard for the Revolution of 1799 (Naples)
"The immense population of the Capital was more stupefied than active. It was still watching with amazement a change which it had believed almost impossible. In general, it could be said tat the people of the Capital were further from revolution than those in the provinces, since they were less oppressed by taxes and more pampered by a Court which feared them." (Vincenzo Cuoco, Historical Essay on the Neapolitan Revolution of 1799 published 1801)

On Neapolitan Government (1816)
"Its government is an absurd monarchy in the style of Phillip II, which yet manages to preserve a few rags and tatters of administrative discipline, a legacy of the French occupation. It is impossible to imagine any form of government of more abysmal insignificance..." (Stendhal, Rome, Naples, and Florencepublished in 1817.)
NOTE: French occupation=reign of Joachim Murat and the Parthenopean Republic)
[close]

Sorry if it's unclear. :(