Author Topic: Favourite Napoleonic Commanders  (Read 8186 times)

Offline Mr T

• Major General
  • Je Passe Quand Meme
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Mortier
  • Side: Union
Favourite Napoleonic Commanders
« on: March 07, 2013, 10:24:47 pm »
Title says it all, who're your favourite army commanders from the armies of the Napoleonic wars? By this I don't just mean the obvious ones like Napoleon and Welligton etc, try to select a more obscure one, one who is often overlooked. So choose your favourite marshals, generals, etc. I'll start off.

France
Marshal Louis Nicolas Davout, Duc de Auerstadt, Prince of Eckmuhl
Spoiler
[close]
One of Napoleon's best Marshals, his outstanding victory at Auerstadt was an amazing victory considering he was outnumbered by over double his numbers, not too mention it put the bulk of the Prussian army in dissary, sadly this victory is overshadowed by Napoleon's victory at Jena. Through training and discipline, he made the III Corps one of the finest Corps in the Grande Armee, his leading skills were legendary, giving him the nickname of "The Iron Marshall" his administritive skills were also very good. Davout participated in many of the key battles in Europe and performed fantastically, he is one of, if not THE best Marshal of France in my opinion.

Marshal Michel Ney, Duc d'Elchingen, Prince de la Moskowa
Spoiler
[close]
Ney is unfortunatley mostly remembered for his poor performance in the Waterloo campaign, what is often forgotten is that he was truly one of the greatest leaders in the Grande Armee, from the start of his career to Napoleon's abdication he was charasmatic, unbelievably brave and he could make decisions quickly, making his attacks decisive and effective. His greatest moment is probably during the retreat from Russia, when he without a horse lead a large group of survivors out of Russia, he managed to slip past the Russian army and showed tremendous bravery throughout. When Napoleon saw him, he declared him "The Bravest of the Brave". He has his own legend of being the last man to leave Russia, though that cannot be literal it is true that Ney made sure to save as many lives as he could. Despite his performance in the Waterloo campaign, Ney was truly a great leader and the bravest of men.

Marshal Édouard Adolphe Casimir Joseph Mortier, Duc de Trévise
Spoiler
[close]
Reliable, talented and brave, and the tallest of Napoleon's marshals at 6,6". During the Austerlitz campaign, Mortier won great acclaim for his courageous handling of a small force of men at Durrenstein. His 5000 men were left behind by Marshal Murat's pursuit of the Russians after Ulm and found themselves attacked by some 40,000 enemy troops. Mortier's men fought tenaciously and extricated themselves from the suicidal position. Both sides lost some 3000 men. After Austerlitz, he took over V Corps, then later VIII Corps. He led the Young Guard in 1812 and after and he led them to victory after victory in the campaigns of 1812-1814. He was fiercley loyal to Napoleon, even when the other marshals (including Ney) told the Emperor he should abdicate, Mortier still supported him, upon Napoleon's return he welcomed him with open arms but was sadly taken with illness and could not participate in the Waterloo Campaign, it'd would've been interesting to see what he could have provided. Gotta love Mortie.

Great Britain
Lieutenant General Thomas Picton & Major General Robert Crauford
Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]
Too me, these two men are quite interesting and of course they were great commanders, they were incredibly similar, both enforced rigid discipline in the divisions, both had fiery tempers, they were also incredibly skilled in administrating their divisions and of course many of the men in their divisions were inspired by their commanders. Crauford inherited the nickname "Black Bob Crauford" in referance to his temper and discpline. Despite their many similarities however, both these men hated each other, Picton even refused to support Crauford on some occasions during engagments, they constantly disagreed and did not get along, it exasperated Wellington to some extent. Another similarity of these two is that they both died in action, Crauford died at Ciuiad Rodrigo and Picton at Waterloo.
Anyway, Crauford was in charge of the Light Division, which he handled with great skill, for example, he forced marched them many miles too Talavera, and though they missed the battle it was still quite an acheivment as forced marches were very difficult for British forces to perform at the time. Picton commanded the 3rd Division, he handled it so well that it gained the nickname "The Fighting 3rd". These two are probably my favourite British generals of the period.

Austria
Archduke Charles, Duke of Teschen
Spoiler
[close]
I consider Charles as an incredibly skilled and capable commander during the Napoleonic period, he conducted operations with high skill and in the changing art of warfare Napoleon was introducing, as part of Austrian plans to start another offensive against France, Charles attempted to modernise and reorganise the Austrian army between 1808-09. He did this with some succsess, alas he could not prevail in some areas, the Generals under his command were very reluctant to accept these new changes such as the corps d'armee system. Charles was also plagued by Phillip von Stadion's quite unrealistic and impractical aims for a war with France, Charles had little hope of success against the French in 1809, but later when the war happened he still performed well at Aspern-Essling.
I consider Charles as an Austrian commander who stands out from others, he was intelligent, good at managing but still restricted by the Austrian slowness at embracing the new military structures.

Prussia
Gebhard Leberecht von Blücher
Spoiler
[close]
I chose Blucher mainly because he can be a little overlooked sometimes, but to be honest the reason I like Blucher so much is that he was...pretty badass. I mean he was about 72 when he fought in the Waterloo campaign, he'd fought in many wars before that, but the fact this old geezer led his army the way he did at his age is quite cool. That and he was trampelled by a great deal of cavalry at Ligny and lay there for several hours, when he was found he was only relieved for a few hours and was then back too it. Now that had to of taken a lot just to even carry on after that ordeal, but the old guy just carried on, 1# Badass ofver 70! Another fun fact about Gebhrard was that apparently he was quite the womaniser, what a lad! Anyway, Blucher was a skilled and charasmatic leader, he was also a born cavalryman, he was in the cavalry for his early career and incredibly skilled in handling his regiment the Red Hussars.

Russia
Prince Pyotr Bagration
Spoiler
[close]
Bagration was an incredibly skilled General and my favourite Russian general along with Kutusov, he handled the rearguard action during the Ulm Campaign fantastically, and though at Hollabrunn he lost two thirds of his army, he had delayed the French for 18 hours, a vital amount of time. He performed excellently during the Russian wars against Sweden in 1808 and the Ottomans in 1809. His next command would be in the 1812 campaign, where he was mortally wounded at Borodino and died, fun fact, when viewing the advance of the battalions of the 57e de Ligne, "Les Terribles", Bagration shouted "Bravo! Bravo!" in the way the regiment advanced. Bagration was a fine general, as I say he's my favourite along with ol' One Eye Kutusov.

Well, those are my favourites, so far, I'm sure as I learn more about other generals I'll like some of them too.
So go ahead, post your favourite Napoleonic generals for whatever reason, be it their skill as a general, or something awesome about them!

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Favourite Napoleonic Commanders
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 10:48:34 pm »
I'm gonna say...Lieutenant-General David Hendrik Chassé (Baron).

He started his military career at the age of TEN, promoted to 2nd lieutenant at sixteen, in the Staatse leger (Republic of the united Provinces). He sided with the Dutch revolutionaries, had to flee the Netherlands and managed to work himself up to the rank of lieutenant-Colonel in the Batavian Legion, a Dutch unit of infantry and cavalry who fought for France.
After the Batavian republic was installed, he was given command of a battalion of Jagers, fought the russians and British in 1799, and was eventually promoted to kolonel in '03, and major-General in '06.

He was given command of the Dutch Brigade that served in Spain in 1808, took part in multiple battles, received the title of Baron and (After Holland became part of France) was even promoted to Division-General for saving D'Erlons Corps.
He was eventually heavily wounded in 1814 in the battle of Bar-sur-Aube (where he himself rallied some French veterans and kicked back the enemy, and after Napoleons abdication he asked to be relieved out of the Service of France (He had sworn an oath to serve her), and that was permitted. He returned to the Netherlands, where William I lost no time in offering him the rank of Majoor Generaal and was given command of the 3rd Dutch division in March 1815, and received a promotion to Luitenant-Generaal.

Not only was he well known for his preference of the bayonetcharge (He was nicknamed 'General Bayonet' by Napoleon himself), he was also extremely popular with his troops, who nicknamed him 'Papa (Daddy) Chassé'.
Wellington hated him however (And Chassé wasn't exactly fond of the British either), and asked the King to relieve the 50-year-old Chassé of his command multiple times (Yet he was okay with giving a 23-year old prince the command of a Corps).
Luckily, the King didn't listen to him, and Chassé eventually saved the Battle of Waterloo by ordering his Division at exactly the right time at the French guard troops. It's not very clear, but some reports actually state that the British were fleeing. Either way, the British were seen retreating by the NL troops, and this created some disturbance in the ranks. Chassé shouted: "My soldiers! The battle is not yet decided, but you will be very happy to know you have helped deciding the outcome! Charge with the bayonet!". One brigade was put behind the British to provide them with a reserve, and the other one (Ditmers) charged and chases the Guard all the way to La Haye sainte, even then didn't stop pushing forward until they made contact with the Prussians at the Maison du Roi. Oh, and they advanced 15 minutes before Wellington ordered the famous 'General advance'.
Spoiler

[close]
In my opinion, this beloved, experienced and aggressive General should have been given command of the I Corps, and not the Prince (Who was extremely brave, but lacked the years of experience)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 10:52:20 pm by Duuring »

Offline Hekko

• Captain
  • I host stuff
    • View Profile
    • 15e Website
  • Nick: Nr24_Gren_Hptm_Hekko
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 10:55:43 pm »
Napoleon, Davout, Massena and Lannes for the french.

Gneisenau for the prussians.

Wellington, Uxbridge and Moore for the british.

Suvorov for the russians.

Rebeque for the Dutch.

Offline [91st] Official

• Major
    • View Profile
    • 91st Regiment of Foot - Argyllshire Highlanders
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 11:03:36 pm »
I like John Moore.

Offline Augy

• Major General
  • Anarchist. Absurdist. Existentialist. Man. Human.
    • View Profile
    • The Royal Recruits
  • Nick: -[TRR]- Cpt. Augy
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 11:09:39 pm »
Jean-Marie Dorsenne
legendary officer of the Imperial Guard, known for his strict discipline and excellent attention to detail.
I think the following sums up his bravery pretty well,

at Aspern-Essling. As his men were cut down and the dirt kicked up by the artillery rained down upon him, Dorsenne held his ground and told his men, "Your general is not hurt. You may count on him, he will know how to die at his post."

Lannes is my absolute fave just for being such a badass who could react real fast and effective, I also like Desaix too for his rescue at Marengo But he died early.
“Ego is a structure that is erected by a neurotic individual who is a member of a neurotic culture against the facts of the matter. And culture, which we put on like an overcoat, is the collectivized consensus about what sort of neurotic behaviors are acceptable.” -Terence McKenna

Offline Odysseus

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 12:13:10 am »
Obama

Offline Pinball Wizard

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 01:12:31 am »

Offline Mr T

• Major General
  • Je Passe Quand Meme
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Mortier
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2013, 11:54:12 pm »
Jean-Marie Dorsenne
legendary officer of the Imperial Guard, known for his strict discipline and excellent attention to detail.
I think the following sums up his bravery pretty well,

at Aspern-Essling. As his men were cut down and the dirt kicked up by the artillery rained down upon him, Dorsenne held his ground and told his men, "Your general is not hurt. You may count on him, he will know how to die at his post."

Good ol'Dorsenne, he also had a horse shot from beneath him at Wagram I think and he simply dusted himself off, awesome guy, as for Lannes, I really need to learn more about him, I feel I don't know enough.

Offline Hekko

• Captain
  • I host stuff
    • View Profile
    • 15e Website
  • Nick: Nr24_Gren_Hptm_Hekko
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2013, 12:26:02 am »
Carl von Döbeln and Johan Sandels for the swedes.

Offline TWking

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2013, 08:41:04 pm »
Lannes is my favourite.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 12:50:18 pm by TWking »
Spoiler

[close]

Offline Schmidtche

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Skirm without a home.
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2013, 05:18:03 pm »
Propably Ney, if only because we have a family myth that one of our ancestors was his child.
Never really believed it to be true, but it's always fun thinking abouth the possibility. ;D

Offline Vorposten

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Youtube-channel
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2013, 09:42:44 am »
Prussians ;D

Scharnhorst
Former Quartermaster of Bluecher up to 2nd May 1813. Was wounded in Großgörschen and went to Prag. He tried to persuade the Austrians to join the Alliance. He died in Prag in Late June 1813 because of his wound.

Yorck
Commander of the 1st Army Korps. Fought in Großgörschen, Katzbach, Wartenburg, Leipzig (And many more). In Leipzig his corps lost around 8000 men in order to attack Möckern, that was defended by the Marines of France. Became Count of Wartenburg.

Kleist
Commander of the 2nd Korps. Was the important key in the Battle of Kulm on 30th August 1813. There General Vandamme was in a fight with 40000 men against 50000 Russians, Austrians and Prussians. Kleist marches in the Back and so the 1st France Korps got circeld and defeated.

Bülow
Commander of the 3rd Korps. Was against the stragety of the Karl Johann Bernadotte, the commander of the Northern Army in 1813.
He defended Berlin in the Battles of Großbeeren against the VII Korps and Dennewitz against the IV, VII and XII Korps of the french Berlin-Army.

Hirschfeld
An old Prussian Commander. Got arrested often because of his sons activities and of Schill. Fought in Hagelberg (27. Aug 1813) and defeated Girard.

Schill
Major of Hussards. Played a big role in the siege of Kolberg and he tried to free Germany from the French rulership. Got shot in May 31st 1809 in Stralsund.

Blücher
At least the important Generalfieldmarshall. I think i don't need to say more.

French

Davout
Fought against the Main Army of Prussia in 1806 at Auerstedt (14th Oct.). In this battle done a better perfomance than Napoleon.
Was announced to the Count of Auerstedt 2 years later.

Girard
Was wounded in Großgörschen and take command of the Division Lanusse. He should attack Berlin from Magdeburg with 10k men. Lost the battle in Hagelberg (Aug. 27th 1813) against General Hirschfeld because of faith of the prussian Landwehrmen.

Russian

Eugen of Wuerttemberg
He tried to stop Vandamme from August 28th up to August 30th 1813 in the fights of Berggießhübel, Priesten and Kulm in order to defend the russian Guards under Osterman-Tolstoi.

Ostermann-Tolstoi
Because Vandamms Korps came closer, he let his troops stop and tried to help Wuerttemberg in Priesten (29th Aug. 1813). He was the comander of the russian guards to these times. He stopped Vandammes 40k men with only 17k.

Great Britain
I don't know the british commanders this well, but Wellington was important. But no favourite one.

Austria
The same as britain.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 07:58:33 am by Vorposten »
Gezeichnet,
69thNY_CSgt_Outpost | [DL]III_KBR_Sap_Vorposten | 3tesWaldeck_Fhr_Vorposten

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • This blamed fight aint got a rear
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2013, 09:55:13 am »
Lasalle  ;)  Pity he was killed at Wagram. :(

Offline Justo

• Volunteer
  • 3e Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2013, 03:43:34 am »
How about NEHPOLEAAAAUN!

Lasalle  ;)  Pity he was killed at Wagram. :(

sauce on your signature(sent PM)

Offline Rival Ze GOD

• Sergeant Major
  • I hurt people, nuff said.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Centurion
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2013, 06:04:10 pm »
Colonel Desaix, saved napoleon from being himself killed at Marengo, Died 2 minutes later.