Author Topic: Reenactment Discussion  (Read 309117 times)

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • This blamed fight aint got a rear
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
Re: Reenactment Discussion
« Reply #1185 on: August 06, 2013, 01:48:22 am »
Stupid? Maybe, its history after all. They did it and they got it through, kicked rebs ass big time, America not spilt today, so deal with it.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #1186 on: August 06, 2013, 01:49:04 am »
It's still kinda stupid to come to a town, burn the houses and then sleep in the dirt. Burn the things when you are leaving, you idiots!

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: August 06, 2013, 02:17:02 am »
Come to town that supply Confederate Army, burns it and confederates cant get supplies, Confederates starves, Confederates surrender, Union win. 

Why capture a house when you just can go outside and sleep peacefully under the woods. away from the civilians who are bent on revenge which might be willing to kill you in sleep.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: August 06, 2013, 02:30:07 am »
Yeah, cos it's not like you risk that when you sleep next to the house.

Serious though, quartering the men has serious advantages. It keeps them clean, healthy, dry and and much easier to find and get together. It also has a positive effect on morale and avoids diseases, for the reasons above. It even means less bagage as you don't have to bring tents, not that anyone bothered with that in the Napoleonics anyway.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 02:32:15 am by Duuring »

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: August 06, 2013, 02:51:18 am »
How big was the Dutch army anyway?

You cant just house 50k to 100k men. We however had a "house" look up winter quarter.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: August 06, 2013, 03:05:35 am »
It fielded three infantry Divisions of around 7000 men each, plus the Indian brigade which consisted of +/- 3500 men. The cavalry consisted of 7 regiments spread in three brigades, 3200 men in total. The artillery consisted of 8 batteries of 6 six cannons and two howitsers manned by about a hundred men.

In total that's over 30.000-33.000 men. That's only counting those who would fight in the campaign and march into France - There were plenty of units who stayed in Belgium, which would make the number near 40.000. Of course, this is also not counting the depots, garrison companies, swiss troops, the colonial hussars (1 sqd), the militia carabiniers (full regiment) and the 30+ batallions of Militia still in training.

Like I said, the quatering only happened during the months prior to the battles - the units were split up, sometimes to a single company in a town, to fit them all in, as well as guarding the border.

It was ordered that 15-20 men had to sleep in one house at least, and after a fake alarm that did not give satisfying results, it was forbidden to be quatered more then 1500 steps from the town centre.

It was also forbidden to be cooked for by the citizens you were staying.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 03:14:21 am by Duuring »

Offline munky-wunky

• Captain
  • Oh, I'm a good old rebel, Now thats just what I am
    • View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: August 06, 2013, 04:17:05 am »
The Dutch army was to be quartered in houses, so they didn't need open fires 

lol quarterd in houses

3A represent!!!!!!!!!!!
Spoiler
Welcome to FSE hun. Enjoy your stay on s.s. Duuring. Lifeboat is to be found on upper left corner as "log out". We wish you enjoy the journey. Thank you for choosing Dutch Sea For your vacation.
[close]

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: August 06, 2013, 09:16:32 am »
3a?

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: August 06, 2013, 09:37:48 am »
3a?

3rd Amendment forbidding soliders to house during peacetime. It was typical for British soldiers to house during the revolutionary war. So basically the citizen didnt enjoy that. 

The Army was always on mobile, that's why we had tents. Keep the army on the go instead of travelling big cities to big cities. When we are not on the mobile, we build log cabins.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: August 06, 2013, 11:47:55 am »
Well it wasn't peace was it?

Nap. Armies were just as much on the go, but where they could, they'd be quatered.

Offline Millander

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
« Reply #1195 on: August 06, 2013, 12:14:33 pm »
Could you 21e guys give me some interesting history of the 21e I could put on my thread. Something like an paragraph or more long account of a battle or action. Something like the 84e's history on their thread.
Of course, I also think lines should be able to move in double rank without having emotional breakdowns.

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Riddlez
« Reply #1196 on: August 06, 2013, 12:19:59 pm »
Riddlez loves thefact that Duuring speaks about 'The Dutch', 'the Belgians' and 'The nassauers'

Deo about 'we'.
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: August 06, 2013, 12:24:25 pm »
Riddlez loves thefact that Duuring speaks about 'The Dutch', 'the Belgians' and 'The nassauers'

Deo about 'we'.

I'm not Belgian or Nassau, am I? I use plently of 'we' when solely referring to the Dutch, though mostly in other discussions. I do try to stop doing that, though.

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Riddlez
« Reply #1198 on: August 06, 2013, 12:28:09 pm »

Deo about 'we'.

I'm not Belgian or Nassau, am I? I use plently of 'we' when solely referring to the Dutch, though mostly in other discussions. I do try to stop doing that, though.

#Falsemodestyoff
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline Docm30

• First Lieutenant
  • Retired.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: August 06, 2013, 12:34:43 pm »
I tend to reserve the word 'we' for groups that actually include myself.