Author Topic: No Homework in Finnland?  (Read 6740 times)

Offline Karth

• Donator
  • General of 63e| NW Official Admin
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 63e_General_Karth
  • Side: Union
Re: No Homework in Finnland?
« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2013, 04:30:57 am »
So many damn opportunities in law, you could work your way from a paralegal to a lawyer, tax attorney, work as a lawyer for pharmaceutical or other big corporations, work for the government in FDA, USDA, etc... Work as general counsel, etc... And they all make a ton of money.  Its just a lot of hard work to obtain your law degree.

Offline Rogov

• Second Lieutenant
  • Moose are cool.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 19te_Hsr_Ofr_Rogov
  • Side: Neutral
Re: No Homework in Finnland?
« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2013, 04:56:52 am »
Oh, also, a fun fact about the education system in my province (Alberta). Our High School 'Diploma' exams for our grade 12 courses are worth 50% of our final grade. As a result our averages are ~10% lower than those of students in Ontario (as well as other provinces, but I don't know the exact figures), yet we receive no consideration for this when we go to apply for post-secondary... it's absurd, we're put at a huge disadvantage.

Thankfully, my grades were plenty high enough, but still, the system needs changing. :-\

Also, as far as honour classes and such go, we didn't have the AP program at my school, but instead had the International Baccalaureate (IB) program, which I understand to be a bit more intense. Never did go into that. A friend of mine, and fellow high achiever (we were rather competitive in 9th grade), promised each other that neither of us would do that. My father, who's a high school physics teacher, also assured me that it's a rather pointless program, and the benefits don't really outweigh the work load.

So glad I didn't, what with taking all three sciences, french, and being in two bands I was busy enough as it was, and probably would've driven myself mad had I gone into IB. Plus, since I'm cheap and plan on going to the U of C (Calgary) and living at home for the first few years of my Bachelor of Science (majoring in astrophysics), I didn't really need IB for getting into universities outside of Canada.

Wow, that's enough about me already... back to calculus! ;D
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 05:19:00 am by Rogov »