Author Topic: No Homework in Finnland?  (Read 6743 times)

Offline Feldmarschall_Ben

• First Lieutenant
  • Feldmarschall des Kaiserlichen Heeres
    • View Profile
  • Nick: FeldMrshl_Ben
  • Side: Neutral
No Homework in Finnland?
« on: March 02, 2013, 12:57:04 pm »
Is that true?

In my opinion that´s an awesome Idea which would make schools alot more interesting and also better.
In austria, where I come from most teachers give homework just because they weren´t able to bring that stuff through in one lesson. (Even in senior classes)
Schools in austria aren´t up to date anymore. it is sad but true. However. What do you think about Finnland and it´s system and/or the teaching system in your country.

Oh and please remember: [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cwJQlsUf7U[/youtube]

>D
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 01:04:05 pm by Feldmarschall_Ben »

Offline Aksei

• Donator
  • meh
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Aksei
Re: No Homework in Finnland?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 01:12:08 pm »
when i made my apprenticeship, one year we had only 13 students in a class. I learned twice as normal
now i hear about closing schools and less teachers in the future, i live in a country with a dump government (Germany)

Offline Sotilas

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 1stEB_Adj*_Sotilas
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 03:19:14 pm »
There is homework at Finland. But not much.

Offline Skyz

• Second Lieutenant
  • The Hour Kills the Patient
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 04:06:12 pm »
when i made my apprenticeship, one year we had only 13 students in a class. I learned twice as normal
now i hear about closing schools and less teachers in the future, i live in a country with a dump government (Germany)

Dont we all?

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 04:58:30 pm »
23 minutes of recess? Say whaaaaaaaaaat?

We get 40, plus an additional 15 minutes when you have an eight or ninth hour. (In my school, you have 9 hours of 45 minutes each, but you rarely get more then 7 a day until the 3rd year, and after that you also get free hours. Like, monday 3rd to 8th, but wednesday 1st to 9th. It's awful).

Oh, and on the homework, we only received a little bit in the last year of elementary to help us 'plan' like they do on the 'big schools'.  ::)

Offline Pinball Wizard

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013, 05:04:35 pm »
Studies do show that schools with less homework tend to have higher test grades. Probably because students won't have to worry about making up assignments, doing stuff, and will have more time to process the knowledge, along with studying.

From middle school to high school were I am, we get filled with homework, and the average for a test grade is around 84 ish out of 100. Which is horrible.

Offline Stunned Lime

• Major
  • Hella O's
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 10:25:01 pm »
Screw Canadia , I am moving to Finland :3

Offline Akame

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 92nd_Akame
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2013, 12:01:13 am »
Part about homework is bull, but it is laid back compared to what I've heard of some other countries. Hell, I just skip school and do tests when needed.

Offline Van_Hulstein

• Captain
  • Orangist and very proud ex-33rd Lieutenant.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: NL_VanHulstein
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2013, 12:10:30 am »
On my school I never do homework, and have half days of school, well from 8.10-14.10 each day.
If you work hard you can finnish it in class  ;)
My notes arent bad, only bad in German  >:(
Nunc aut nunquam

Offline Orcaryo

• By far the worst in melee
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2013, 12:42:22 am »
In the area where I live, students do not get recess time after Elementary school. Even in Elementary school, there are still times in which there is no or reduced time of recess. Not only that, i remember having homework assignments daily in first grade and beginning to receive homework on the weekends in 5th grade. I have come up with a theory: You all probably know this, towards the end of summer break (maybe 2 or 3 weeks before end) students tend to become bored and excited to go back to school. Students in Finland probably get bored of doing the same exact thing everyday when they get home. That maybe pushes them to study instead of just sitting around staring at a wall. I am in eighth grade and I am taking 2 high school classes and I am already staying up until 12 A.M. doing homework. Another thing i believe is that parents are beginning to get to paranoid. You get a C+ on a test that was intended for a 10th grader and they take away all sources of electronics for a month. Parents do not trust their kids with managing their own time. I know that if I manage my own time, I will probably end up playing maybe an hours worth of video games each day. I certainly wont abandon my school work when I get a steam notification telling me a Line battle is starting. Just wish adults would realize how much pressure they put on teens.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 09:32:15 pm by Orcaryo »

Offline Pinball Wizard

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2013, 12:48:24 am »
Are you trying to hard? I went through taking those kinda classes your taking, not doing any homework past 8, and still banging out A's and B's, while be addicted to forums and being in the school band. The trick for you is to literally lock yourself in your room doing it, no computers, no television, no nothing.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2013, 12:59:38 am »
Eight grade means you're how old?

And btw, how do you mean you take two high school classes?

Offline Orcaryo

• By far the worst in melee
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2013, 01:27:32 am »
In my school they give us the option to take 2 high school courses for credits( they are honor classes). I am 14 btw.  I also never said I get below A's and B's. I always get at least a B+ in my classes. I am in my school band as well. I worded my sentence where i said i stay up until 12 poorly. I meant that on rare occasions(every week or so) there is a day in which i have to stay up until 12 studying or doing homework.

Offline Rogov

• Second Lieutenant
  • Moose are cool.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 19te_Hsr_Ofr_Rogov
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2013, 01:51:59 am »
I just spent 8 hours doing calculus homework. 8)

Mind you I'm in Uni, but Canadian high schoolers do get a fair amount of homework.

Offline Scrat555

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2013, 02:43:03 am »
I'm an American high school student. I have about 3-4 hours of homework a day if I am efficient. If not... well, lets just say you're not going to have a good night. Couple that with playing music competitively and maintaining a 4.0 GPA (add a few hours of studying and anxiety), and you have very little time for actually living. Also, the education system wastes the skill of the better teachers because they are forced to teach to all of the god damn standardized tests. We have one every year. The government is trying to institute even more. The government can f**k itself.
Why can't we be like Finland?