Author Topic: Warband - those damn shields!  (Read 4703 times)

Offline sally100

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: go to hell i`m not in the mood
  • Side: Neutral
Warband - those damn shields!
« on: February 07, 2013, 07:22:24 pm »
Seeing as there isn`t a warband section, and this is off topic ie not tied to NW etc, i thought id make a thread about what drove me away from playing warband.

Shields, i understand you would need one in battle to save you from arrows, but i find EVERY player now from spawn has their shield up on block, for every step they make they are hiding behind their shield, its like its an obsession, and when they go into duel they insist on keeping the block on, until you make the first move, so they can strike back.

Also, dont you hate it when you hack away and finally break somebodys shield and think `yay now i can kill them`, and bingo they pull out another shield!

Ugh, i really hate the way people simply cower behind shields in warband, and it is the main reason i wont play it anymore, i`m not interested in fighting a walking wooden board!

Offline KillerMongoose

• Major
  • "And I believe I have cut your throat"- Fiore
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Wryngwyrm
Re: Warband - those damn shields!
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 07:27:24 pm »
I agree, shields are the ultimate mark of a coward!  :P if you ask me, MM and NW players are far better at melee combat than most native players for the sole reason of NW players don't need shields to block.

Offline Nipplestockings

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 07:32:02 pm »
I agree, shields are the ultimate mark of a coward!  :P if you ask me, MM and NW players are far better at melee combat than most native players for the sole reason of NW players don't need shields to block.
Better at using a beyonet where there are only attack directions, you mean? Any decent warband meleer would absolutely destroy a "skilled *cough*" NW player

Offline KillerMongoose

• Major
  • "And I believe I have cut your throat"- Fiore
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Wryngwyrm
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 07:34:18 pm »
Not a skilled NW swordsman and not without shields

Offline Nipplestockings

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 07:36:27 pm »
Wrong and wrong again. Skilled native players don't use shields, and shields are scoffed at by most players in native

Offline sally100

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 07:38:05 pm »
I agree, shields are the ultimate mark of a coward! 

Dam you win my respect
finally somebody who thinks like me   8)

Offline GoldenEagle

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Abii
  • Side: Union
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 08:42:51 pm »
Wrong and wrong again. Skilled native players don't use shields, and shields are scoffed at by most players in native

These skilled native players honestly suck. I played on many Native servers not long ago. It took me only about 4 days to get used to the melee and do very well. I played on these pro servers with ''pro'' meleers. They just suck to be honest. They are good, but a skilled NW player (Which I am not) would destroy him so bad. I have played NW since release and I still get my ass handed to me easily by the most skilled players.

Offline kpetschulat

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Petschie
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 09:07:43 pm »
I actually stopped playing Native, for similar to reasons to what Betty (Yes, it's Betty... :D) said. I used to be very good, I'd go into battle with a nice two hand axe, spear, or sword, sometimes mace, and then a secondary short sword, or cudgel. Now, what I used to do was just hack my opponents shield to pieces but spamming the shit out of them, since the two hand attack speed was incredibly fast. I stopped though, because I got sick and tired of people bringing two or three shields. And, I also stopped because people started banning me for hax, not joking. It's ridiculous. I know. So, I moved on to MM, was good at it, moved on to NW, once it came out, got good at it as well. And, have played NW since, and am now getting back into MM with an event I help host every Monday, click the link in my signature for event details.

Offline sally100

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2013, 09:23:43 pm »
I stopped though, because I got sick and tired of people bringing two or three shields.

Exactly why in the world would you need two shields

It makes me laugh that NW and WFAS admins were so strict about not `double gunning` (how is having a musket and a pistol unrealistic)....
Yet warband allows players to carry up to FOUR SHIELDS! pfft!

Offline kpetschulat

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Petschie
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013, 09:39:44 pm »
... FOUR SHIELDS!

Omg, I remember playing on a siege map with this clan called "Shield Brothers", they literally brought nothing but shields, and the rest of us were walking behind them, while they took the arrows and hits to the shields... It was actually really fun, and funny.

Offline sally100

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2013, 10:00:53 pm »
... FOUR SHIELDS!

Omg, I remember playing on a siege map with this clan called "Shield Brothers", they literally brought nothing but shields, and the rest of us were walking behind them, while they took the arrows and hits to the shields... It was actually really fun, and funny.

By the way you can carry 4 shields, but only two ever show..
the one on your back and the one you are holding.. but they are all still there - those damn things  >:(

Offline Akame

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 92nd_Akame
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2013, 01:45:29 am »
A native player would lose to a NW player in -NW-, just like the NW player would lose to the native player in -native-.

I would argue that NW players are more alert, as it takes only one hit to kill your opponent with a bayonet, and only two attack directions make you think of other tricks to get through your opponent's block, such as kicking, which is more used in NW nowadays than in native. Playing both of them, I find the ''better'' native players more susceptible to kicking than good NW players, as the native guys tend to try to get close as possible. Sure there are different play styles, but I came to that conclusion from general experience.

Native has been around longer than NW/MM, so it would make sense that the more experienced ''native only'' players would beat their NW counterparts in terms of skill.

Offline Pinball Wizard

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2013, 02:02:25 am »
I love shields, I end up just keeping it on me, arrows always find me plus its funny to see half way decent players dancing in front of you trying to mess you up.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2013, 10:04:08 am »
I always use a shield, but only to protect myself from cowardly archers and such. I use two-handed weapons most of the time, anyway.

Offline UniversitasMetal

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2013, 10:48:08 am »
Native players have 4 attack directions while NW players either master 2 or the one handed sword. Unless it is a Awlpike vs Awlpike duel, the native player will have the advantage. I'm not even talking about some peoples ridiculous chamber, footwork and timing in competitive scale.