Author Topic: France and the rifle  (Read 9065 times)

Offline OGNValjean

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Gordon Goldstein
  • Side: Union
Re: France and the rifle
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2013, 10:30:53 pm »
Enemy Logic: Trained Crackshots can turn the course of battle! Blarg Blarg 5,000 Bakers for meh armee of 2 Billion!

France Logic: Enemies have Rifles? Use More Gun. And if that don't work, use more gun.

And that is why the Engineer is the best tf2 Class.

ummm, first of all the english army in the field was relatively small, (about 10,000-20,000 during most of the peninsular war right?). Second, the rifles (from what I understand) could pick out, and pick off officers. This sounds like it would be extremely efficient, as the men would not really know what to do without their officer. Also you have to take into consideration the different roles of the units. Riflemen were marksmen, voltigeurs just screened the line infantry. Also take into consideration the fact that the English army also fielded a large amount of light infantry along with riflemen. So overall, I would say that the english tactics were rather sound.

Until you throw in the best Artillery Crews in the world plus lancers and the finest cuirassiers against them.

AND MORE GUN!

Offline KillerMongoose

• Major
  • "And I believe I have cut your throat"- Fiore
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Wryngwyrm
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2013, 11:20:47 pm »
English army? I believe he means the British army ;)

Offline Docm30

• First Lieutenant
  • Retired.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2013, 11:27:22 pm »
English and British mean the same thing to Americans.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2013, 11:36:05 pm »
English and British mean the same thing to Americans.

But, you are American, and you know it doesn't mean the same thing...

Paradox!

Offline Docm30

• First Lieutenant
  • Retired.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2013, 12:09:53 am »
I'm no American. American citizen, yeah, but not an American.

Offline kpetschulat

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Petschie
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2013, 12:20:20 am »

Born in North America? Yeah, American.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2013, 12:29:07 am »

I was hoping for a respond like this.

I know, the joke was just too perfect  ::)

Offline Docm30

• First Lieutenant
  • Retired.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2013, 12:44:40 am »

I have a hard time believing US Americans regard Mexicans as natural born Americans.

Offline 5arge

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2013, 01:54:58 am »
I have a hard time believing US Americans regard Mexicans as natural born Americans.
Well, since Central America is just South of Mexico, you are North American at the very least. Like the Canadians!
it seems that the person on the wrong end of 5arge always seems to get the punishment.

Offline Walko

• Brigadier General
  • Tired art student.
    • View Profile
    • 4. Silesian Landwehr
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2013, 03:56:17 pm »
The British had 45,000 men in the Peninsula in 1814.

Having a force dedicated to just picking off officers would not be a sound tactic, which is the reason that's not what riflemen did.

To suggest voltigeurs performed no other task besides screening the infantry is completely and totally inaccurate.

As far as I know, it was not unheard of, and I am pretty sure it was very possible, as you might now from the stories about Thomas Plunket, making a 600 yard shot. Also, ok 45,000 in 1814, but I'm pretty sure Wellington hd more funding t that point, I think it was smaller between 1808-12 or so.

And that is not what I meant about the voltiguers, they are both light infantry.
Pointy stick champion

Offline Walko

• Brigadier General
  • Tired art student.
    • View Profile
    • 4. Silesian Landwehr
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2013, 03:58:06 pm »
English army? I believe he means the British army ;)

I have been told by Englishmen, that in this sense, English was used in place of British. Personally that sounds correct to me.
Pointy stick champion

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2013, 04:11:14 pm »
The British had 45,000 men in the Peninsula in 1814.

Having a force dedicated to just picking off officers would not be a sound tactic, which is the reason that's not what riflemen did.

To suggest voltigeurs performed no other task besides screening the infantry is completely and totally inaccurate.

As far as I know, it was not unheard of, and I am pretty sure it was very possible, as you might now from the stories about Thomas Plunket, making a 600 yard shot.

It rather annoys me when people take an extraordinary event and use it to proof it happens all the time. His 600 yard shot was excellent, but it was also very rare.

Offline Docm30

• First Lieutenant
  • Retired.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2013, 06:23:44 pm »
As far as I know, it was not unheard of, and I am pretty sure it was very possible, as you might now from the stories about Thomas Plunket, making a 600 yard shot.

Plunkett's shot was realistically no greater than 300 yards. 600 is the absolute upper range of estimates. That's assuming he shot Colbert at all; at that distance and with so many people firing it's impossible to say for certain who shot who. That and the fact the French recorded his death as having been caused by artillery.

Even with his death, it still didn't cause any mass panic or retreat, and he was a bally general! there was a whole chain of command in place to keep everything running in the event of the death of an officer.

I have been told by Englishmen, that in this sense, English was used in place of British. Personally that sounds correct to me.

Of course an Englishman would tell you that, but tell a Welshman or a Scot that he's English and see how he feels about that.

British or English, the Irish get screwed either way, though.

Well, since Central America is just South of Mexico, you are North American at the very least. Like the Canadians!

I am the Canadians, and I am American in the sense that I'm from America, just not the US.

Offline Kator Viridian

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2013, 06:34:03 pm »

Done ...

Offline 5arge

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2013, 08:22:06 pm »

Done ...
Thanks, that was informative. Now I have to start collecting all those flags... I thought I was done after Guernsey, Jersey, and the Isle of Man.
it seems that the person on the wrong end of 5arge always seems to get the punishment.