Battle of Lübeck
1 (14.3%)
Other (Please post in description)
2 (28.6%)
Other (again)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Voting closed: January 30, 2013, 12:48:35 pm

Author Topic: Famous Battles of the Napoleonic Wars  (Read 4223 times)

Offline Emperor Napoleon

• Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 1erMar/IrishNap
  • Side: Union
Famous Battles of the Napoleonic Wars
« on: January 23, 2013, 11:59:35 am »
In these posts, I will be detailing major battles during the Napoleonic Wars. I will do it year order, meaning I will start with the earliest, and work my way up.

I have decided to start in 1805.

I will keep polls here for people to decide what battle will come next.

Hope you enjoy, and hope fully this encourages more regiments out there to be historical!

Sincerley

Major General Napoleon (2nd Division)

« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 03:01:02 pm by 1stRoyalFootArtillery »

Offline Emperor Napoleon

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: History of the Napoleonic Wars
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 11:59:53 am »
The Battle of Austerlitz

Date: 2 December 1805

Where: Austerlitz, Moravia, Austrian Empire

Nations: France v Russia, Austria

Commanders: France                   Russia                    Austria
                     Napoleon I             Alexander I             Francis II
                                                 Mikhail Kutuzov

Numbers: France                         Russia & Austria
               72,000                         85,000

Battle

[1]
Napoleon could muster some 72,000 men and 157 guns for the impending battle, although about 7,000 troops under Davout were still far to the south in the direction of Vienna. The Allies had about 85,000 soldiers, seventy percent of them Russian, and 318 guns. So, The French Army was inferior in number. At first, Napoleon was not totally confident of his victory.

[2]
The battle took place about six miles southeast of the town of Brno, between that town and Austerlitz  in what is now the Czech Republic. The northern part of the battlefield was dominated by the 700-foot Santon hill and the 880-foot Zuran hill, both overlooking the vital Olomouc/Brno road, which was on an east/west axis. To the west of these two hills was the village of Bellowitz , and between them the Bosenitz Stream went south to link up with the Goldbach Stream, the latter flowing astride the villages of Kobelnitz, Sokolnitz, and Telnitz. The centerpiece of the entire area was the Pratzen Heights, a gently sloping hill about 35 to 40 feet in height.

[3]
The battle began at about 8 a.m. with the first allied column attacking the village of Telnitz, which was defended by the 3rd Line Regiment. This sector of the battlefield witnessed heavy action in the following moments as several ferocious Allied charges evicted the French from the town and forced them onto the other side of the Goldbach. The first men of Davout's corps arrived at this time and threw the Allies out of Telnitz before they too were attacked by hussars and reabandoned the town. Additional Allied attacks out of Telnitz were checked by French artillery.

Allied columns started pouring against the French right, but not at the desired speed, so the French were mostly successful in curbing the attacks. At the time, the planners thought this was a disaster, but later on it helped the Allies. Meanwhile, the leading elements of the second column were attacking the village of Sokolnitz, which was defended by the 26th Light Regiment and the Tirailleurs, French skirmishers. Initial Allied assaults proved unsuccessful and General Langeron ordered the bombardment of the village. This deadly barrage forced the French out, and at about the same time, the third column attacked the castle of Sokolnitz. The French, however, counterattacked and regained the village, only to be thrown out again. Conflict in this area ended temporarily when Friant's division retook the village. Sokolnitz was perhaps the most fought over area in the battlefield and would change hands several times as the day progressed.

While the allied troops attacked the French's right flank, Kutuzov's IV Corp stopped at Pratzen height and stayed still. Just like Napoleon, Kutuzov realized the importance of Pratzen and decided to protect the position. But the young Tsar did not, so he expelled the IV Corp from Pratzen height and, so, this act quickly pushed the Allied army into her grave.

At about 8:45 a.m., satisfied at the weakness in the enemy center, Napoleon asked Soult how long it would take for his men to reach the Pratzen Heights, to which the Marshal replied, "Less than twenty minutes, sire." About 15 minutes later, Napoleon ordered the attack, adding, "One sharp blow and the war is over."

A dense fog helped to cloud the advance of St. Hilaire's division, but as they went up the slope the legendary ‘Sun of Austerlitz' ripped the mist apart and encouraged them forward. Russian soldiers and commanders on top of the heights were stunned to see so many French troops coming towards them. Allied commanders were now able to feed some of the delayed detachments of the fourth column into this bitter struggle. Over an hour of fighting destroyed much of this unit. The other men from the second column, mostly inexperienced Austrians, also participated in the struggle and swung the numbers against one of the best fighting forces in the French army, eventually forcing them to withdraw down the slopes. However, gripped by desperation, St. Hilaire's men struck hard once more and bayoneted the Allies out of the heights. To the north, General Vandamme's division attacked an area called Staré Vinohrady and through talented skirmishing and deadly volleys broke several Allied battalions.

The battle had firmly turned in France's favour, but it was far from over. Napoleon ordered Bernadotte's I Corps to support Vandamme's left and moved his own command center from Žuráň Hill to St. Anthony's Chapel on the Pratzen Heights. The difficult position of the Allies was confirmed by the decision to send in the Russian Imperial Guard; Grand Duke Constantine, Tsar Alexander's brother, commanded the Guard and counterattacked in Vandamme's section of the field, forcing a bloody effort and the only loss of a French standard in the battle .Sensing trouble, Napoleon ordered his own heavy Guard cavalry forward. These men pulverized their Russian counterparts, but with both sides pouring in large masses of cavalry no victory was clear yet. The Russians had a numerical advantage here but fairly soon the tide swung as Drouet's Division, the 2nd of Bernadotte's I Corps, deployed on the flank of the action and allowed French cavalry to seek refuge behind their lines. The horse artillery of the Guard also inflicted heavy casualties on the Russian cavalry and fusiliers. The Russians broke and many died as they were pursued by the reinvigorated French cavalry for about a quarter of a mile. The casualties of the Russians in Pratzen included Kutuzov and his son-in-law Ferdinand von Tiesenhausen.

Meanwhile, the northernmost part of the battlefield was also witnessing heavy fighting. Prince Liechtenstein's heavy cavalry began to assault Kellerman's lighter cavalry forces after eventually arriving at the correct position in the field. The fighting initially went well for the French, but Kellerman's forces took cover behind General Caffarelli's infantry division once it became clear Russian numbers were too great. Caffarelli's men halted the Russian assaults and permitted Murat to send two cuirassier divisions into the fray to finish off the Russian cavalry for good. The ensuing melee was bitter and long, but the French ultimately prevailed. Lannes then led his V Corps against Bagration's men and after hard fighting managed to drive the skilled Russian commander off the field. He wanted to pursue, but Murat, who was in control of this sector in the battlefield, was against the idea.

Deployment at 14:00, French in Blue, Allies in Red                           Deployment at 18:00, French in Blue, Allies in Red

Napoleon's focus now shifted towards the southern end of the battlefield where the French and the Allies were still fighting over Sokolnitz and Telnitz. In an effective double-pronged assault, St. Hilaire's division and part of Davout's III Corps smashed through the enemy at Sokolnitz and persuaded the commanders of the first two columns, Generals Kienmayer and Langeron, to flee as fast as they could. Buxhowden, the commander of the Allied left and the man responsible for leading the attack, was completely drunk and fled as well. Kienmayer covered his withdrawal with the O'Reilly light cavalry, who gallantly managed to defeat five of six French cavalry regiments before they too had to retreat.

General panic now seized the Allied army and it abandoned the field in any and all possible directions. A frightful and famous episode occurred during this retreat: Russian forces that had been defeated by the French right withdrew south towards Vienna via the Satschan frozen ponds. French artillery pounded towards the men, and the ice was broken due to the bombardment. The men drowned in the viciously cold ponds, dozens of Russian artillery pieces going down along with them. Estimates of how many guns were captured differ; there may have been as few as 38 or more than 100. Sources also differ about casualties, with figures ranging from as few as 200 to as many as 2,000 dead. Because Napoleon exaggerated this incident in his report of the battle, and the Tsar tacitly accepted the account as an excuse for the catastrophic defeat, the low numbers may be more accurate. Many drowning Russians were saved by their victorious foes. However, local evidence, only later made public, suggests that Napoleon's account of the catastrophe may have been totally invented; on the emperor's instructions the lakes were drained a few days after the battle and the corpses of only two or three men, with some 150 horses, were found.

[4]
Austerlitz and the preceding campaign profoundly altered the nature of European politics. In three months, the French had occupied Vienna, destroyed two armies, and humbled the Austrian Empire. These events sharply contrast with the rigid power structures of the 18th century. Austerlitz set the stage for a near-decade of French domination of the European continent, but one of its more immediate effects was to goad Prussia into war in 1806.

Painting by Joseph Swebach-Desfontaines depicting the Battle from
Napoleon's position

Key

[1] General Numbers
[2] The battlefield (description)
[3] The Battle begins
[4] Summary of Aftermath

Hope you all enjoyed that, and Ill keep them coming!!!!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 12:43:05 pm by 1stRoyalFootArtillery »

Offline Emperor Napoleon

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 12:00:01 pm »
Reserved

Offline Emperor Napoleon

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 12:00:10 pm »
Reserved

Offline Emperor Napoleon

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 12:00:18 pm »
Reserved

Offline Emperor Napoleon

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 12:00:30 pm »
Reserved

Offline Emperor Napoleon

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 12:00:40 pm »
Reserved

Offline Emperor Napoleon

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 12:00:48 pm »
Reserved

Offline Emperor Napoleon

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 12:00:59 pm »
Reserved

Offline Connzcdf

• Major
  • Act like a wasteman, that's not me.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Connzcdf
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2013, 01:53:35 pm »
Good luck. If you need more information about British battles British Battles is a good site. Also, just a suggestion, you could re-name the thread to "Famous Battles of the Napoleonic Wars". When I first clicked I thought it would be a generalization, of the Wars, Politics, Military etc.

Offline Emperor Napoleon

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2013, 02:57:17 pm »
Good luck. If you need more information about British battles British Battles is a good site. Also, just a suggestion, you could re-name the thread to "Famous Battles of the Napoleonic Wars". When I first clicked I thought it would be a generalization, of the Wars, Politics, Military etc.

Sounds good, thanks mate!
I will change it, thought it was a bit misleading myself, but was busy!

Regards

Napoleon