Author Topic: Officer Regimental and Brevet Ranks  (Read 2359 times)

Offline Matthew

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • ლ(◕◡◕ლ) oly gaym y u heff 2 b med
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Matthew ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
  • Side: Neutral
Officer Regimental and Brevet Ranks
« on: December 05, 2012, 10:40:15 pm »
Due to my interest in Napoleonic Wars ranks (don't ask me why i'm strange like that =P) I came across a book called British Napoleonic Uniforms while browsing the Armchair general website, on one of the pages it has an interesting but short section on Brevet ranks and ranks of regiment and local ranks. The first two I am familiar with and the last I've heard of, but i'm wondering if anyone had any better sources or had any examples etc to help me understand them.

Officer Regimental and Brevet Ranks
The section I am interested in says- There were three different forms of officer ranks. The first was the regimental rank; this defined the role in which the officer was normally employed by his regimental duties. The second was his brevet rank. often awarded for particular achievement and performance. An officer with brevet wore his higher rank but was still required to undertake the duties associated with his regimental rank. In the event he was detached to a different unit, or in the absence of a senior officer, he was permitted to act in his brevet rank. Both the regiment and brevet rank were published in the Army List. The third form of rank was local rank. This was usually awarded to an officer to ensure that he could outrank any other officer assigned under his command.

Thank you if you have any information on this and if you don't enjoy the read.

I will put any question here so everyone can read and address them:
1. I assumed Brevetting was only for Commissioned officer is this true? If NCO's can be brevetted can the be brevetted to an CO rank or are they restricted to NCO ranks.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 01:20:43 pm by Matthew »
"A Boss in Heaven is the best excuse for a boss on earth, therefore If God did exist, he would have to be abolished." - Mikhail Bakunin
"Dispassionate, fair, equal"
Oh you wanted a serious response, why didn't you just say so.
b2e98ad6f6eb8508dd6a14cfa704bad7f05f6fb

Offline Matthew

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Officer Regimental and Brevet Ranks
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 12:04:20 pm »
If i get enough info I will change the first thread to info and archive the first post here.
*Reserved*
"A Boss in Heaven is the best excuse for a boss on earth, therefore If God did exist, he would have to be abolished." - Mikhail Bakunin

Offline James Grant

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 01:07:09 pm »
I have that book,tis rather good.

And your right,an NCO could not have a brevet rank that would be....really pointless.

Offline Matthew

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 01:35:49 am »
Any information would be much appreciated :P

Offline Matthew

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 03:29:56 pm »
Shameless bump/double post, also I am interested in joining an historical forum but I am affraid I will be torn to peices :-P