Author Topic: The Lineage Discussion!  (Read 5139 times)

Offline Hawke

• Donator
  • Aquila non capit muscas.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Hawke
  • Side: Confederacy
Re: The Lineage Discussion!
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2012, 11:32:43 pm »
Well, as far as I know, my family goes really far back. Pre 1066, in fact. I know that the start of my family originated in Norway, as Vikings! I've been told that they were also chieftains/warlords of some sort. Then my family took part in the group that settled in Normandy. They became Dukes, and owned a fair bit of land. Then, they went with the Norman invasion to England. Owned a bit more land around Yorkshire, I believe. They also fought in the war of the Roses, on the side of York. Good few hundred years later, and it's WW1. One of my family entered service as a machine-gunner. Survived the entire war. My great uncle also served as a home guard in WW2.

That's just my dad's side.

Offline König

• Major
  • A major König
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Koenig
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2012, 02:16:39 am »
...Normandy...
Yay! Another Norman!  ;)
I don't trust anything but pizza from a pizza place.

Offline Akame

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 92nd_Akame
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2012, 12:56:17 pm »
I haven't looked up very far, but I've heard that my fathers side during the Grand Duchy of Finland were nobility, and one of them was a procurator. All that is left from that time is the coat of arms on the wall of ritarihuone(riddarhuset). My great-grand father was a ww2 veteran. And way before all this I suppose they were Rus' people like most finns.

Offline Hawke

• Donator
  • Aquila non capit muscas.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Hawke
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2012, 06:50:39 pm »

Glory

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2012, 05:56:02 am »
My original last name was cachepole(or something like that). My mothers maiden name is Vineyard. Any help with finding the origins of the two names?

Offline KillerMongoose

• Major
  • "And I believe I have cut your throat"- Fiore
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Wryngwyrm
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2012, 04:14:32 pm »
An ancestor of mine actually fought in the Battle of Waterloo (and possibly battles before in French service) in the 8th Hussars (Belgian) During the charge of Ghigny's Brigade (8th Hussars and 4th Light Dragoons) against the French lancers, when the cavalry melee ensued my ancestor was struck in the belly by a lance but when the lancer withdrew the point and raised the lance for a death blow, my ancestor (I believe his last name was Beaupry but I don't know for sure) grabbed the lance and tore it from the Frenchman's hands and smashed it over his head then thrust the broken end into his neck. My ancestor survived, wounded, but alive and Ghigny's Brigade had managed to cut the French lancers to pieces and pursue them until they took shelter near a French infantry square.

Offline Bluehawk

• Sergeant Major
  • чекмень - шаровары - шашка
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2012, 04:19:23 pm »
My original last name was cachepole(or something like that).

It's a vocational surname (like Miller, Smith etc.) that comes from a noose and baton used to drag prisoners around by officers of the law. One of your paternal ancestors was probably a constable or maybe a tax collector. These names usually form like "John the Catchpole", and then "Edward, son of John the Catchpole," then "Jacob Edward Catchpole" etc.

Vineyard is probably... a farmer that grew grapes.

Glory

« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2012, 06:30:07 pm »
My original last name was cachepole(or something like that).

It's a vocational surname (like Miller, Smith etc.) that comes from a noose and baton used to drag prisoners around by officers of the law. One of your paternal ancestors was probably a constable or maybe a tax collector. These names usually form like "John the Catchpole", and then "Edward, son of John the Catchpole," then "Jacob Edward Catchpole" etc.

Vineyard is probably... a farmer that grew grapes.
Thanks for that, it clears it up a bit. I still have the question of nationality though.