• Major
  • To Protect and To Serve
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Betaknight
  • Side: Union
Recap
« on: December 08, 2017, 11:40:01 pm »
Hi everyone,

Pretty sure 80% of you don't know who I am. That's fine.
Been around since the beginning of the DLC launch, but I can't remember a single reason as to why the community slowly went down.

I'm interested in helping the developers by getting a recap of what went wrong and why. I'm also curious myself, cause I can honestly not remember anymore. This is meant as a serious thread, so I'd like to keep the thread a bit more serious and on the track (which would be a feet for some of you, but try).

As to the devs, I'm not trying to portray the whole situation in a bad light, just simply gathering a bit of an opinion on what happened during the past years that I've disappeared, but to also see if there's any potential reason for me to return to modding here again.

Let's start!

Things of note:
  • The game is becoming old:
- Lack of update.
- No more fresh players.
  • Toxicity may play a role: not that big of a role
  • A new feature to help with competitive play: league board, look at other competitive games
  • Forums Hypothesis: They aren't mentioned into the game that it exists. Most don't look at the forums after playing the game, which leads to the feeling that what they just played is all there is.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 12:35:59 am by Betaknight »
The first modder for NW.

Offline Fwuffy

• Amazing human being who deserves this title fully
  • General
  • Statue Gaming™
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Toupie
  • Side: Confederacy
Re: Recap
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2017, 11:46:35 pm »
welcome back =)

Offline Tardet

• The NW Historian
  • General
  • Fidelitate et Honore | Fake Hype King
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Tardet
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2017, 11:59:37 pm »
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often.

Offline Betaknight

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2017, 12:00:26 am »
This isn't the welcome back thread though... I just want to see what's going on....
The first modder for NW.

Norwegian13

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2017, 12:01:49 am »
I think that a lot of people get burnt out and take a break from the game for a while, which I myself have done several times, which reflects on the overall playercount. But I think a bigger problem for this DLC is the toxicity that has been slowly killing it, ever since it's start. Toxic people who have made the game less fun for others, I'm sure has been one of the main reasons that has discouraged several players from continuing to play NW, and further driving the playerbase down.

Oh, and also the lack of influx of new players. I don't think many people buy NW nowadays. Mount & Blade itself is quite an old game, so getting a new player is a rare occasion.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 12:03:25 am by Noorwegian »

Offline Fwuffy

• General
  • Statue Gaming™
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2017, 12:04:18 am »
the game needs e-sports

Offline Betaknight

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2017, 12:05:10 am »
I think that a lot of people get burnt out and take a break from the game for a while, which I myself have done several times, which reflects on the overall playercount. But I think a bigger problem for this DLC is the toxicity that has been slowly killing it, ever since it's start. Toxic people who have made the game less fun for others, I'm sure has been one of the main reasons that has discouraged several players from continuing to play NW, and further driving the playerbase down.

Oh, and also the lack of influx of new players. I don't think many people buy NW nowadays. Mount & Blade itself is quite an old game, so getting a new player is a rare occasion.
Can you explain how toxic it's getting?

"Oh, and also the lack of influx of new players. I don't think many people buy NW nowadays. Mount & Blade itself is quite an old game, so getting a new player is a rare occasion."
Very big point in that. I guess the game being the same has been getting old by itself as well eh? Maybe a new mechanic.... Hm....

the game needs e-sports
Explain?
The first modder for NW.

Offline Furrnox

• Lieutenant General
  • Eternally incorrect, centre-left, asshole.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2017, 12:05:29 am »
It's hard to say what exactly made people drop the game, but I think it's the lack of updates and the fact that the DLC have been out for 5 soon 6 years people have gotten bored and moved on to other games. (I don't think the whole REVOLUTION saltiness had any major impact on the player count.)

Also welcome back glad I contacted you. ;)

I don't think the toxicity is that bad but the whole burn out thing is I think I left the community for a year or so? Because I was burnt out on the game I even said to myself I'm done with this game but in the end I returned and I'm glad I did I've been having a lot of fun since I did.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 12:09:07 am by Furrnox »

Offline Fwuffy

• General
  • Statue Gaming™
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2017, 12:07:08 am »

"Oh, and also the lack of influx of new players. I don't think many people buy NW nowadays. Mount & Blade itself is quite an old game, so getting a new player is a rare occasion."
Very big point in that. I guess the game being the same has been getting old by itself as well eh? Maybe a new mechanic.... Hm....

the game needs e-sports
Explain?
I meant it semi-seriously. I've for example always admired what the Native community has done with their competitive side, and all the tournaments, leagues etc. It might be because the NW community is more toxic so we can't have nice things. Maybe it's because the Taleworlds guys are more involved with the Native side of things whereas FSE guys don't seem to do much with the competitive side here. Does native have a larger playerbase? Who knows.

Offline Betaknight

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2017, 12:07:39 am »
It's hard to say what exactly made people drop the game, but I think it's the lack of updates and the fact that the DLC have been out for 5 soon 6 years people have gotten bored and moved on to other games. (I don't think the whole REVOLUTION saltiness had any major impact on the player count.)

Also welcome back glad I contacted you. ;)
Nah, I agree with the fact the revolution did nothing. But I was wondering what exactly happened more or so, what became boring? The lack of maps, gameplay, the lack of updates in-general? Lack of response or any type of development within the community towards the game?

I mean NW was previously M&M and that has been going on for a while. So why just after so long?

the game needs e-sports
Explain?
I meant it semi-seriously. I've for example always admired what the Native community has done with their competitive side, and all the tournaments, leagues etc. It might be because the NW community is more toxic so we can't have nice things. Maybe it's because the Taleworlds guys are more involved with the Native side of things whereas FSE guys don't seem to do much with the competitive side here. Does native have a larger playerbase? Who knows.

Semi-seriously or not, no idea is a bad idea at this point ;)
So you would suggest the game add some kind of competitiveness? How would you approach that?
The first modder for NW.

Offline Harford

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • salut
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2017, 12:10:21 am »
this dlc is just getting older, and every good game is slowly dying as any other game, i dont believe in this "toxic community" argument tbh, some ppl might be but thats not the main point i believe
Former 2ndCSG_Pvt | 7th_Trp | 8e_Mchl | 17e_CplFo | 77y_Pfc | 5e_Brg | 91st_Pte
Currently IVe_7eCvl

tardet will you marry me
Yes

Offline Betaknight

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2017, 12:11:57 am »
this dlc is just getting older, and every good game is slowly dying as any other game, i dont believe in this "toxic community" argument tbh, some ppl might be but thats not the main point i believe
What would you say would make the game newer to you then?
The first modder for NW.

Offline Fwuffy

• General
  • Statue Gaming™
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2017, 12:12:36 am »
Betaknight more like BOTaknight, sent by FSE devs to ask probing but programmed questions about the state of the game.

Offline Betaknight

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2017, 12:13:25 am »
Betaknight more like BOTaknight, sent by FSE devs to ask probing but programmed questions about the state of the game.
Nah mate, I'm an actual game developer for another company, so I kinda am asking basics to get a grasp of what the community in general thinks would be a great idea and what people think is "new/modern/cool/fun", but I wanted to help here as well. I loved the game back then, but I want to see if I could maybe help in getting it a new breath.
The first modder for NW.

Offline Fwuffy

• General
  • Statue Gaming™
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2017, 12:13:56 am »
Nah mate, I'm an actual game developer for another company, but I wanted to help here as well. I loved the game back then, but I want to see if I could maybe help in getting it a new breath.
;)