Author Topic: Thoughts about "Confederate Flag" being banned  (Read 43836 times)

Offline junedragon

• Colonel
  • Nr2, 29th, PLG, 63e, Team Canada, 4eme
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
Re: Thoughts about "Confederate Flag" being banned
« Reply #60 on: June 25, 2015, 11:18:17 pm »
My answer on the newest NaS map:

Spoiler
[close]

Game. Set. Match

[/thread]
Why am I still here

Offline Nick Lazanis

• Donator
  • Sex,droga i Bodiroga.
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #61 on: June 25, 2015, 11:25:48 pm »
My answer on the newest NaS map:

Spoiler
[close]

Hinkel. You are a fucking hero for this Community.

Offline Viriathus

• Major
  • Rua, suas cabras!
    • View Profile
    • YouTube Channel
  • Nick: RI23_Cpt_Viriathus
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #62 on: June 25, 2015, 11:28:02 pm »
Just to clear out, it is a pretty flag :D

Offline Commissar Jdf

• General
    • View Profile
  • Nick: USMC_Maj_CommissarJdf
« Reply #63 on: June 25, 2015, 11:28:35 pm »
I think it's stupid, unnecessary, and used for the wrong reason. They should also remove immigrant Indians from the legislatures of Louisiana and South Carolina and let us southerners be the racists we're supposed to be.

>owns multiple guns
>doesn't have to have an f150
>is not a member of the teaparty

Offline Nick Lazanis

• Donator
  • Sex,droga i Bodiroga.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 25, 2015, 11:41:17 pm »
I will just leave this here:

Date: June 25, 2015

On June 24, National Park Service Director Jonathan B. Jarvis asked park superintendents to work with their partners and bookstore operators to voluntarily withdraw from sale items that solely depict a Confederate flag. The National Park Service press release can be found here.

"We strive to tell the complete story of America," National Park Service Director Jonathan B. Jarvis said of the agency's reputation for telling difficult parts of our history. "All sales items in parks are evaluated based on educational value and their connection to the park. Any stand-alone depictions of Confederate flags have no place in park stores."

Gettysburg National Military Park Superintendent Ed Clark asked the Gettysburg Foundation to consider this request. This morning, the Gettysburg Foundation President Joanne Hanley requested the bookstore operator, Event Network, to comply with the request.

Hanley said, "We are committed to our partnership with the National Park Service at Gettysburg for the preservation of resources and for outstanding educational programs."

Effective today, the book store at Gettysburg National Military Park's Museum &Visitor Center will no longer sell stand-alone items that solely feature the Confederate flag, including display and wearable items. This affects 11 out of 2,600 items carried in the book store.

The book store continues to sells a wide variety of items that feature both the U.S. and Confederate flags, as well books, DVDs, and other educational and interpretive media where the image of the Confederate flag is depicted in its historical context.

Offline Malkolm R. Lind

• Major
  • Why do drugs when you can listen to music?
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Illya
« Reply #65 on: June 25, 2015, 11:59:47 pm »
Just to clear out, it is a pretty flag :D
It is a good looking flag. And yes, it is just a bloody flag. Let it be so.

Offline usnavy30

• Colonel
  • Former Freelance Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 26, 2015, 12:19:59 am »
What a huge stink about it, the Battle flag is just like the Stars and Stripes. The people could be more worried about the incident than staring at a flag and getting offended so easily. Offended. So. Easily. But you know that's just my opinion of course. :D

Edit: Corrected a naming error, that comparison did not work right in name, but both flags feature similar elements. The color of red, the stars being the focus point, and the stripes being the design.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 12:23:12 am by usnavy30 »
How To Run A Mod Installer.exe
Hello.. I have a problem... It says I don't have Mount&Blade Warband: Napoleonic War and I have to buy it
Try joining a regular Napoleonic Wars server and then re-running the installer.

Offline Colonel Howe

• Donator
  • There isn't a noose tight enough
    • View Profile
    • People's History Podcast
  • Nick: Noah
« Reply #67 on: June 26, 2015, 01:47:53 am »
It's a flag.
Flags themselves are meaningless pieces of fabric used to divide and oppress people

To those who honestly believe the US flag is somehow better than the Confederate flag...no. The US flag has been used in horrible, imperialistic wars and genocides across the world. It is as much a symbol of hate, oppression, and slavery than any other flag out there

To those who claim the Confederate flag represents Southern heritage, all I can say is that's some piss poor heritage you have. The Confederacy and it's war were primarily about slavery. But hey, if you want to fly that, I have no problem with you doing it as long as you have no problem with me saying why you have your head shoved up your ass.

Now to those who want to see the Confederate flag banned from America like the Germans did with the Nazi flag, no. Is that how you fight oppression? With further oppression? If some idiot wants to fly that flag, let them. My policy has always been that when you allow people to display their hate openly, you can ridicule it openly.

Both sides in this "issue" annoy me. Instead of pissing your panties and getting offended, why don't you go to the Charleston statehouse, protest, burn some confederate flags and tell them why they're wrong.

And while you're at it, go to D.C., burn some American flags, and tell them why they're wrong.
Fuck off, Nazi scum

Offline fieldshire

• First Lieutenant
  • Follow the smoke toward the riff filled land.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: #FreeFieldshire
« Reply #68 on: June 26, 2015, 02:08:52 am »
YAY MY PYROTECHNICS CAN BE USED

Offline usnavy30

• Colonel
  • Former Freelance Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 26, 2015, 02:52:25 am »
Because burning flags is always a solution to controversy. Great point Howe.  :D
How To Run A Mod Installer.exe
Hello.. I have a problem... It says I don't have Mount&Blade Warband: Napoleonic War and I have to buy it
Try joining a regular Napoleonic Wars server and then re-running the installer.

Offline Colonel Howe

• Donator
  • There isn't a noose tight enough
    • View Profile
    • People's History Podcast
  • Nick: Noah
« Reply #70 on: June 26, 2015, 02:53:20 am »
burn em up, m8
Fuck off, Nazi scum

Offline fieldshire

• First Lieutenant
  • Follow the smoke toward the riff filled land.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: #FreeFieldshire
« Reply #71 on: June 26, 2015, 02:57:14 am »

Because burning flags is always a solution to controversy. Great point Howe.  :D
Blaze it like I do at home

Offline Jonny Powers

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 26, 2015, 03:48:10 am »
Well, I've seen lots of talk about this and "banning" the battle flag. From what I have read, half of this is a business decision. One made by many businesses in response to Wal-Mart's decision, but simply that. I'm not opposed to businesses deciding to sell or not sell something, it's their choice and there were already several stores that did not sell items with the battle flag on them, I believe Target was one. While I do find it disappointing that this extended to Amazon and Ebay (where, ironically enough, Nazi related items can still be bought and sold), it's still a private decision made by these companies. And as far as the Apple store is concerned, I don't know why anybody would buy a game there.

The second half is the flying of the Confederate flag on state grounds and the issuance of it on state-sponsored items, the best example being Sons of Confederate Veterans license plates. This debate has actually been going on for a while, and again, I believe this should be decided on a state-by-state basis as to what to do with the flags that fly on state grounds and how to approach memorials. SoCV plates, however, are another subject, one that the Supreme Court decided on in the past year, I believe. After a series of back-and-forth decisions by a variety of appeals courts arguing what essentially boils down to free speech vs state property and what overrides what, state property won. I know this was a particularly touchy subject in my home state of Maryland because they were under court order to provide them, since MD has a SoCV branch. What will happen to the plates now that the designs can be ordered changed by the states that issue them? Who knows. Maybe they'll switch the battle flag with some other flag, like the Bonnie Blue, or maybe they'll come up with a crest of sorts like the SoUV's plates.

Personally, I believe that the flag and items like it should still be up for sale. And, let's be honest, they still are. Doing a quick google search for "confederate flag for sale", I found a couple sites right at they top who offered it. Now, when I tried to find memorabilia, like coffee mugs for example, the search became a little harder because of all the entries on places like cafepress and zazzle that no longer exist, but you can still get to the Museum of the Confederacy's online store (which is a rather nice museum, visited it last year) and plenty of other smaller internet shops specializing in Civil War and Americana items.

In the end, what really matters is, what's going to happen in a month from now? Three? Six? This will surely die down and people will forget like they always do with these shootings, but what will happen to battle flag merchandise, especially on places like Amazon and Ebay? Will they keep up the fight to keep these items out of the store, or will they quietly ignore these items and allow them to slip back onto the storefront once this all blows over? That's the real question and it will ultimately be the one that is the deciding factor in where you buy this stuff.

Offline Incognitoandahalf

• First Sergeant
  • DA Cavalry Corp Fuehrer
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Incognitoandahalf
« Reply #73 on: June 26, 2015, 03:50:17 am »
To clarify a bit the flags removed from the capital grounds were being flown over confederate war monuments. Most former confederate states have similar monuments with many dating back to to 1900-1920 period. When news of this hit the front page many other groups decided to withdraw products or displays of the Confederate flag.

On a personal note I can say the flag is used in many contexts around the south, and that the vast majority are not meant to be racist. It is true that hate groups such as the KKK have been known to fly the confederate colors but more often it is flown by private citizens often as a sign of rebellion and as a big middle finger to the prevalence of the insistence for "political correctness". I do not, nor have I ever owned any flag symbolic of the confederacy but I would not judge someone for doing so, most are good honest people just going about being decent people.

In the past few days I have seen the flag carried much more openly along with the "Come and take it" flag. Most people really don't care but a few seem to have been putting themselves out there and preaching on why the recent events are deplorable and the flag should come back and a whole lot of rabble. The same thing happened when Blue Bell was taken off the shelf's (a beloved southern ice cream for all you Europeans and yanks) and it really isn't anything to be worried about. Truth be told this will probably blow over in a week or two.

As far the argument is concerned neither side is really appealing for change from the other but simply condemning them with one side claiming they are "fighting racism" and the other "preserving heritage" when in reality neither is happening, they are all just making fools of each other. The more we escalate and continue the discussion the bigger fools we make of our nation.

Another item that has come up is gun control and how the shooter obtained a firearm. Initial reports said that the weapon was a full sided 9mm that the suspect had hidden away. The United States guarantees in its constitution the right to obtain firearms for the public defense, a very loose and poorly defined point that leaves room for argument on what they did or did not intend. I feel its worth mentioning that rates of gun ownership and rates of gun control do not correlate with rates of gun related crime; why is up to speculation and your guess is as good as mine.

Offline Arkansan

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 26, 2015, 03:56:18 am »
Instead of banning a fucking flag, They should ban their retarded gun use for civilians, Might get somewhere then. Yanks.......

HA! Cause y'all have it all figured out!
Spoiler
[close]
Losing rights one day at a time..