Author Topic: [SERIOUS] Young suicide rates are worrisome, yet somewhat understandable.  (Read 9787 times)

Offline Sgt.Winters

• Captain
  • Wut
    • View Profile
  • Nick: look at me
  • Side: Union
Re: [SERIOUS] Young suicide rates are worrisome, yet somewhat understandable.
« Reply #60 on: September 27, 2019, 09:40:16 pm »
If you care too much about what other people are thinking you’ll get no where in life except getting deeper into your depression.
I don't know if this has much to do with what I wrote
Wasn’t towards you
I made the thread while factoring in socioeconomic factors instead of more personal ones.

Offline Marceaux

• Donator
  • Je suis immortel.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 1er_Capitaine_Marceaux
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #61 on: September 27, 2019, 09:46:40 pm »
And I think thats part of the issue. A lot of depression comes from personal reasoning and deep inner feelings that sometimes don't have a real good explanation behind them. And I feel that real depression usually isn't related to socioeconomic factors. More so a chemical imbalance in the brain causing you to be irrationally depressed.

Offline Sgt.Winters

• Captain
  • Wut
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 27, 2019, 09:57:09 pm »
And I think thats part of the issue. A lot of depression comes from personal reasoning and deep inner feelings that sometimes don't have a real good explanation behind them. And I feel that real depression usually isn't related to socioeconomic factors. More so a chemical imbalance in the brain causing you to be irrationally depressed.
Trust me I'm well aware of this, but rates are steadily increasing in first world countries despite the fact that no era has ever been easier to live in. I somewhat believe that a part of the rise in depression numbers is related to the slow destigmatization of it. This has now resulted in people being more open about their problems. The suicide rate (which is steadily rising) on the other hand, is something that I'm having a difficult time narrowing down.

Offline Marceaux

• Donator
  • Je suis immortel.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 1er_Capitaine_Marceaux
« Reply #63 on: September 27, 2019, 10:05:25 pm »
I think it could have something to do with what Marks said earlier. The world just expects you to grow up, get a job and acquire wealth and reproduce. Then die. It is a pretty bleak idea of existence imo. Telling children that the only purpose of life is to get wealthy and have a family? For some people that simply isn't enough. And for many having a nice car and home and money in the bank, a family and material items. Doesn't actually make you feel fulfilled. There needs to be more, although I don't think anyone knows what it really is. And when you don't know what you need the depression can set in. Feeling like there is a hole inside you that you simply cannot fill and don't know what would even begin to fill it despite all your efforts.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 10:07:43 pm by Marceaux »

Offline Hawkince

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • #Hawince2018 #ImWithHawkince #🅱awkince2018
    • View Profile
  • Nick: lebornjames2007mikaljordan
« Reply #64 on: October 02, 2019, 08:53:45 am »
don't kys thanks

Offline Theodin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 71st Guard MEME POLICE

1x NA Duel- Runner up |  3x 3v3- 3rd place (Seadderol Deflatriots) (Ez Money) (71st Guards + Russian) | 1x Duel League- 4th place | 1x Regimental Groupfighting- 1st place (71st)  l  1x 2v2- 3rd Place (Vortex/Theodin) | TNWL Season 2 - 1st Place l 1x 2v2- 1st Place (Theodin/Elite) l 2x NANWL-
 71st, Nr8(LG) l 1x 4v4- 1st Place (RussianFury, Waste, NickCole, Theodin) l 1x Cav Joust- 2nd Place l 1x 4v4-
 3rd Place (Theodin, AsianP, Sleek, Godfried, Lurvy) l 1x 5v5 - 1st Place (RussianFury, Yoshie, Krastinov, Jorge, Theodin - Thanos and his children)

Offline Sgt.Winters

• Captain
  • Wut
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 05, 2019, 03:56:11 pm »
@Winters https://www.forbes.com/sites/michaelshellenberger/2019/12/04/why-climate-alarmism-hurts-us-all/amp/?__twitter_impression=true
Existential anxiety about climate change is unscientific.
I agree that it's unscientific (to an extent), but that doesn't really matter at this point. What does matter is that it's petrified millions into defeatism or spiraled their mental health down the drain. Considering we have hundreds of sources spewing different opnions on the data, who are we supposed to believe here? Moreover, if this turns out to be overblown, then I figure this will be just the first in many cases of scientists bullshitting their way to the top.

Offline No0B

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Doctor Noob/2LBI_CSgt_Noob
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #67 on: December 20, 2019, 05:29:33 am »
My thing on climate change is that I noticed it so has my family, I'm from Missouri, the Winters here have been changing, according to my Dad snow used to stay on the ground for most of the winter in our part of Missouri, for example we had a snow storm the other day 4-5 inches of snow and literally 3 days later it's almost all melted and grass is mostly exposed because it went from low 20's to mid 50's in 2 days. Some people say this benfits the farmers because of longer growing seasons but Winter comes at the same time every year it just isn't constantly 20's 30's, it's like half the week 20-30 degrees then it becomes like 50 for the next half and they randomly swap, it used to be rare in Missouri for winter to go over 50 degrees in my area.This year it happened almost every week.

Offline Sgt.Winters

• Captain
  • Wut
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 20, 2019, 05:41:43 pm »
My thing on climate change is that I noticed it so has my family, I'm from Missouri, the Winters here have been changing, according to my Dad snow used to stay on the ground for most of the winter in our part of Missouri, for example we had a snow storm the other day 4-5 inches of snow and literally 3 days later it's almost all melted and grass is mostly exposed because it went from low 20's to mid 50's in 2 days. Some people say this benfits the farmers because of longer growing seasons but Winter comes at the same time every year it just isn't constantly 20's 30's, it's like half the week 20-30 degrees then it becomes like 50 for the next half and they randomly swap, it used to be rare in Missouri for winter to go over 50 degrees in my area.This year it happened almost every week.
Nothing you can do it about it friend. Every attempt to curb the effects are negligible at this point. It's going to be like this for the rest of our lives.

My advice would be to just get as much as you can out of it now. We are fragile creatures that turn into savage monsters when desperate. Blame will be tossed around like a hot iron and nothing will be done. This isn't an isolated event that only effects certain people, the problems will most likely go global. Purely from experience I can tell you this; human beings are NOT good or rational when left unsatisfied. That is our greatest biological failing and perhaps the inevitable fate of all intelligent life, to self destruct in the face of void.

Offline Theodin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 20, 2019, 05:46:53 pm »
It's hard to find exhaustive climate records for your state but I found this https://www.weather.gov/lsx/monthTab - from what you said about over 50's, it seems you live near Jefferson City? Excluding the 2014-15 El Nino the recorded high vs normal high is
2019 +3
2018 +2
2017 +1
2016 -2
14,15 excluded for el nino years https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014%E2%80%9316_El_Ni%C3%B1o_event
2013 +1
2012 +6
2011 +6
2010 -4
2009 -2
2008 -1
2007 0
2006 +6
which totals +16 over a 12 year span - an increase of about 1.3 degrees F per year. So yes! You're having warmer winters these days, by about 1.3 degrees - a far cry from the catastrophic temperatures those on the alarmist end of the climate issue would like you to believe.

Nothing you can do it about it friend. Every attempt to curb the effects are negligible at this point. It's going to be like this for the rest of our lives.

My advice would be to just get as much as you can out of it now. We are fragile creatures that turn into savage monsters when desperate. Blame will be tossed around like a hot iron and nothing will be done. This isn't an isolated event that only effects certain people, the problems will most likely go global. Purely from experience I can tell you this; human beings are NOT good or rational when left unsatisfied. That is our greatest biological failing and perhaps the inevitable fate of all intelligent life, to self destruct in the face of void.
This is irresponsible for you to post, Winters - you know as well as anyone else that catastrophic predictions about climate are unsupported by scientific bodies like the IPCC and the EPA. Helpful link again! https://www.forbes.com/sites/michaelshellenberger/2019/12/04/why-climate-alarmism-hurts-us-all/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

1x NA Duel- Runner up |  3x 3v3- 3rd place (Seadderol Deflatriots) (Ez Money) (71st Guards + Russian) | 1x Duel League- 4th place | 1x Regimental Groupfighting- 1st place (71st)  l  1x 2v2- 3rd Place (Vortex/Theodin) | TNWL Season 2 - 1st Place l 1x 2v2- 1st Place (Theodin/Elite) l 2x NANWL-
 71st, Nr8(LG) l 1x 4v4- 1st Place (RussianFury, Waste, NickCole, Theodin) l 1x Cav Joust- 2nd Place l 1x 4v4-
 3rd Place (Theodin, AsianP, Sleek, Godfried, Lurvy) l 1x 5v5 - 1st Place (RussianFury, Yoshie, Krastinov, Jorge, Theodin - Thanos and his children)

Offline Hawkince

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • #Hawince2018 #ImWithHawkince #🅱awkince2018
    • View Profile
  • Nick: lebornjames2007mikaljordan
« Reply #70 on: December 21, 2019, 09:04:29 am »
It's hard to find exhaustive climate records for your state but I found this https://www.weather.gov/lsx/monthTab - from what you said about over 50's, it seems you live near Jefferson City? Excluding the 2014-15 El Nino the recorded high vs normal high is
2019 +3
2018 +2
2017 +1
2016 -2
14,15 excluded for el nino years https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014%E2%80%9316_El_Ni%C3%B1o_event
2013 +1
2012 +6
2011 +6
2010 -4
2009 -2
2008 -1
2007 0
2006 +6
which totals +16 over a 12 year span - an increase of about 1.3 degrees F per year. So yes! You're having warmer winters these days, by about 1.3 degrees - a far cry from the catastrophic temperatures those on the alarmist end of the climate issue would like you to believe.

This is irresponsible for you to post, Winters - you know as well as anyone else that catastrophic predictions about climate are unsupported by scientific bodies like the IPCC and the EPA. Helpful link again! https://www.forbes.com/sites/michaelshellenberger/2019/12/04/why-climate-alarmism-hurts-us-all/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

While on the topic of climate change 1.3 degrees is a pretty big deal and thinking otherwise is frankly dumb.

This is irresponsible for you to post, Theodin - you (should) know as well as anyone else that catastrophic predictions are supported by scientific bodies like the IPCC and the EPA. I have included many helpful links for you to look over!

According to the IPCC we can observe many already felt impacts by climate change:

Spoiler
Human-induced global warming has already caused multiple observed changes in the climate system (high confidence). Changes include increases in both land and ocean temperatures, as well as more frequent heatwaves in most land regions (high confidence). There is also (high confidence) global warming has resulted in an increase in the frequency and duration of marine heatwaves. Further, there is substantial evidence that human-induced global warming has led to an increase in the frequency, intensity and/or amount of heavy precipitation events at the global scale (medium confidence), as well as an increased risk of drought in the Mediterranean region (medium confidence). {3.3.1, 3.3.2, 3.3.3, 3.3.4, Box 3.4}
[close]

The IPCC believes that limiting climate change to between 1.5C and 2C is crucial to preventing many issues (water availability, extreme drought, protecting ocean ecosystems, heat related mortality, ozone related mortality, general human health and more).
Their summary can be found here readily available on their website (https://www.ipcc.ch/sr15/) and to suggest that they do not support "catastrophic predictions" about climate change is misleading.

As for the EPA they are a federal agency and their stance has been altered after Donald Trump took office. TIME magazine has an article on the changes on the EPA's website went through after Trump was elected (https://time.com/5075265/epa-website-climate-change-censorship/).

However despite this, the EPA's website still includes many resources that imply that climate change will have disastrous effects if left unchecked.

Implications of Climate Change (EPA):
https://www.epa.gov/arc-x/implications-climate-change

Human Health and Climate Change (EPA):
https://www.epa.gov/climate-research/human-health-and-climate-change-research

2016 report from US Global Change Research Program (Joint Effort):
https://health2016.globalchange.gov/

NASA also states that "So, the Earth's average temperature has increased about 2 degrees Fahrenheit during the 20th century. What's the big deal?
Two degrees may sound like a small amount, but it's an unusual event in our planet's recent history. Earth's climate record, preserved in tree rings, ice cores, and coral reefs, shows that the global average temperature is stable over long periods of time. Furthermore, small changes in temperature correspond to enormous changes in the environment.

For example, at the end of the last ice age, when the Northeast United States was covered by more than 3,000 feet of ice, average temperatures were only 5 to 9 degrees cooler than today."

https://climate.nasa.gov/effects/

The 3 Google definitions of "Catastrophic" are as follows:

"involving or causing sudden great damage or suffering."

"extremely unfortunate or unsuccessful."

"involving a sudden and large-scale alteration in state."

Every single one of these is fulfilled by the effects currently felt and possible implications from the future if climate change is to continute at it's current pace.

Offline Theodin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 22, 2019, 07:33:07 pm »
Spoiler
While on the topic of climate change 1.3 degrees is a pretty big deal and thinking otherwise is frankly dumb.
[close]
This largely depends on who you ask. The amount of degrees of change that the climate is sensitive too is measured with a statistic called the Equilibrium Climate Sensitivity. The lower the sensitivity measure, the lower impact AGW will have on the climate as a whole. The IPCC 5th AR has it at between 1.5c and 4.5c - if it's at the lower end, then nothing is really wrong, and if it is at the higher end, then we have problems. Recent analysis of the ECS has it at the low end - https://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/10.1175/JCLI-D-17-0667.1?utm_source=CCNet+Newsletter&utm_campaign=a24cafd790-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2018_04_24&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_fe4b2f45ef-a24cafd790-20156641& - and over the years it's been within that range: http://www.nationalpost.com/includes/blogs/2018/06_june/fp0619/index.html
This statistic is important because the ECS informs on the correct way in which to model the effects of climate change, and if the ECS is this low, the models that spell disaster are running too hot - a trend that has already been noticed (https://judithcurry.com/2017/09/26/are-climate-models-overstating-warming/). Climate modelling is a very complicated science, and there are many possible reasons for the discrepancy between observations and models!

Spoiler
This is irresponsible for you to post, Theodin - you (should) know as well as anyone else that catastrophic predictions are supported by scientific bodies like the IPCC and the EPA. I have included many helpful links for you to look over! According to the IPCC we can observe many already felt impacts by climate change:
The IPCC believes that limiting climate change to between 1.5C and 2C is crucial to preventing many issues (water availability, extreme drought, protecting ocean ecosystems, heat related mortality, ozone related mortality, general human health and more).
Their summary can be found here readily available on their website (https://www.ipcc.ch/sr15/) and to suggest that they do not support "catastrophic predictions" about climate change is misleading
[close]
This is the problem with using introductions - they can say whatever they want to say! From page 214 (56 in the pdf) of the IPCC's Observations of Atmosphere and Surface (https://www.ipcc.ch/site/assets/uploads/2017/09/WG1AR5_Chapter02_FINAL.pdf):  "AR4 WGI Chapter 3 (Trenberth et al., 2007) did not assess changes in floods but AR4 WGII concluded that there was not a general global trend in the incidence of floods (Kundzewicz et al., 2007). SREX went further to suggest that there was low agreement and thus low confidence at the global scale regarding changes in the magnitude or frequency of floods or even the sign of changes."

The next section about droughts is fascinating, discussing different ways to analyze the subject: "In summary, the current assessment concludes that there is not enough
evidence at present to suggest more than low confidence in a global-scale observed trend in drought or dryness (lack of rainfall) since the middle of the 20th century, owing to lack of direct observations, geographical inconsistencies in the trends, and dependencies of inferred trends on the index choice. Based on updated studies, AR4 conclusions regarding global increasing trends in drought since the 1970s were probably overstated."

On the next page, there's weather events: "In summary, there is low confidence in observed trends in small-scale severe weather phenomena such as hail and thunderstorms because of historical data inhomogeneities and inadequacies in monitoring systems."

Tropical storms: "In summary, this assessment does not revise the SREX conclusion of low confidence that any reported long-term (centennial) increases in tropical cyclone activity are robust, after accounting for past changes in observing capabilities. More recent assessments indicate that it is unlikely that annual numbers of tropical storms, hurricanes and major hurricanes counts have increased over the past 100 years in the North Atlantic basin."

I trust what the scientists tell me!

Spoiler
As for the EPA they are a federal agency and their stance has been altered after Donald Trump took office. TIME magazine has an article on the changes on the EPA's website went through after Trump was elected (https://time.com/5075265/epa-website-climate-change-censorship/).

However despite this, the EPA's website still includes many resources that imply that climate change will have disastrous effects if left unchecked.

Implications of Climate Change (EPA):
https://www.epa.gov/arc-x/implications-climate-change

Human Health and Climate Change (EPA):
https://www.epa.gov/climate-research/human-health-and-climate-change-research

2016 report from US Global Change Research Program (Joint Effort):
https://health2016.globalchange.gov/
[close]

The EPA, like the Canadian Ministry of the Environment, have nicely written summaries and yet produce these wonderful, easy to use reports that no one reads on things like air quality: https://gispub.epa.gov/air/trendsreport/2016/ pollutants and emissions have been falling for years all across your country, and overall health and prosperity has increased during that time. Seems like you guys are doing a great job! (Canadian weather data - bit harder to use this site tho https://www.weatherstats.ca/)

Spoiler
NASA also states that "So, the Earth's average temperature has increased about 2 degrees Fahrenheit during the 20th century. What's the big deal?
Two degrees may sound like a small amount, but it's an unusual event in our planet's recent history. Earth's climate record, preserved in tree rings, ice cores, and coral reefs, shows that the global average temperature is stable over long periods of time. Furthermore, small changes in temperature correspond to enormous changes in the environment.
[close]
This sentence is seemingly filler, but it demonstrates the biggest question in climate science - did Mann et al in 2009 understate the effects of the Medieval Warming Period? From the first IPCC assessment report in 1990 https://www.ipcc.ch/site/assets/uploads/2018/03/ipcc_far_wg_I_full_report.pdf (page 250 in the pdf) the MWP is warmer than warming trends currently - which would make NASA incorrect. Mann's analysis using one specific tree ring data set flattened the MWP and pushed current warming up significantly. There are plenty of questions as to whether Mann was correct or not - the man loves to sue other scientists for defamation for criticizing his work. I'm of the opinion that his graph is incorrect, but a more fair conclusion to draw from this summary of the whole shenanigans (https://wattsupwiththat.com/2018/04/30/20-years-later-the-hockey-stick-graph-behind-waves-of-climate-alarmism-is-still-in-dispute/) is that historical pictures of climate data are not 100% reliable, and drawing conclusions of absolute certainty from them should be met with healthy skepticism.

Spoiler
The 3 Google definitions of "Catastrophic" are as follows:

"involving or causing sudden great damage or suffering."

"extremely unfortunate or unsuccessful."

"involving a sudden and large-scale alteration in state."

Every single one of these is fulfilled by the effects currently felt and possible implications from the future if climate change is to continute at it's current pace.
[close]
If the very worst case scenarios are correct, and if the IPCC's analysis about weather events etc are indeed understated, then we'd have a catastrophe with a definition that you so kindly provided. If all this was the case, however, then it is already too late, and you shouldn't worry about trying to abate it. But like I keep telling Winters, the catastrophic scenarios are at this moment very unlikely, and the actual consequences of possible AGW are still quite unknown - https://www.forbes.com/sites/michaelshellenberger/2019/12/04/why-climate-alarmism-hurts-us-all/amp/?__twitter_impression=true
The more pressing concerns for the human race concern poverty, war, and threats to democracy - which don't require complex physics debates to solve!

Skaen

« Reply #72 on: January 02, 2020, 09:26:32 am »
Here in Belgium there are a lot of incidents with attempts to do suicide. A lot of younger people too. Reason being here is that schools in Belgium do very little to actually help the victims who are being bullied at school. I think if schools actually teached us in a good way on how to live with each other in peace as well as how to manage money in a smart way, that it would be a good start here. I have a friend who is depressed and that’s because of the reason I stated earlier in my post. Also like stated earlier on this page, employers just ask for more and more these days. Good isn’t good enough anymore. If you did not study well and you don’t have your A2 Diploma you’re in pretty much deep shit. Also, if you want to rent an appartment here, you have to pay 700 euro’s each month I thought it was (water, electricity excluded). In 2019 the rates of suicide were very big, at least as far as I know.

And I doubt 2020 will bring any positive changes to this. It will get worse and worse I am afraid.

Offline Eamon

• Major
  • LtCol of the 15th_YR
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Irish
« Reply #73 on: January 03, 2020, 08:27:02 am »
Here in Belgium there are a lot of incidents with attempts to do suicide. A lot of younger people too. Reason being here is that schools in Belgium do very little to actually help the victims who are being bullied at school. I think if schools actually teached us in a good way on how to live with each other in peace as well as how to manage money in a smart way, that it would be a good start here. I have a friend who is depressed and that’s because of the reason I stated earlier in my post. Also like stated earlier on this page, employers just ask for more and more these days. Good isn’t good enough anymore. If you did not study well and you don’t have your A2 Diploma you’re in pretty much deep shit. Also, if you want to rent an appartment here, you have to pay 700 euro’s each month I thought it was (water, electricity excluded). In 2019 the rates of suicide were very big, at least as far as I know.

And I doubt 2020 will bring any positive changes to this. It will get worse and worse I am afraid.

I wish my rent was 700 euro  >:(

Offline Hess

• Captain
  • 83rdPA, 4eme, 8e, 2ndNYSM
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Hess
« Reply #74 on: January 04, 2020, 09:29:29 pm »
I think these rates have gone up due to modern technology. People and society are beginning to accept that these issues of depression and suicide are real things because technology has allowed research to occur. There are more resources for these issues then there ever has been. Mental health is becoming accepted within society instead of just throwing people into an asylum or home. Another theory I have is that our society nowadays is faster then it ever has been. People are constantly on the move which may cause some stress. I would say that even though technology has furthered for the better good, a new slew of problems and issues arise. Problems that people may have back then no longer exist but problems that people back then never experienced now exist for our present-day lives. College debt and college loans in America are a prime example. College was mainly for people that had money and some kind of elite status. The majority of people could not afford college. Nowadays the average joe who comes out of high school is now trying to obtain a professional degree. Instead of "Where are you working after high school?", its now "Where are you attending college?" My theory about why college is becoming a norm is because technology has furthered which can be summed down to specialization. No longer are companies looking for assembly line people, but rather specialists within a specialty. You are now sitting in an office doing paperwork and complex problems instead of working in a factory assembly line. Once again as technology grows, things become more complex and specialized. To sum this up, I think that the main reason for higher suicide rates among young people can be summed to the progression of technology and new social standards. Change is good but brings new issues to the table.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2020, 10:00:41 pm by Hess »