Author Topic: Crimean war (1854-1855) mod  (Read 144244 times)

Offline Ukima

• Corporal
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
  • Nick: 32nd_Sjt_Ukima
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Crimean war (1854-1855) mod
« Reply #450 on: April 21, 2019, 03:37:13 pm »
:'( lemme play it

Damn, I can see like a fragment of the drummer xD It takes real skill to be able to make the uniform from that picture! Nice work!

Offline Ivkolya

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Ivkolya
« Reply #451 on: April 21, 2019, 07:53:10 pm »
Damn, I can see like a fragment of the drummer xD It takes real skill to be able to make the uniform from that picture! Nice work!

Thank you :) I used the Carl Franklin's book 'British Napoleonic Uniforms' to aquire image of drummer's lace of 93rd regiment, which was in 1854 almost certainly the same as in 1815, as there were no changes to drummers' lace until 1871, and used as example of lacing pictures of another Highland regiments of 1850s. This particular image shows yellow with red and white shoulder tufts and that there are no chevrons on the upper arm of the coat. I placed six chevrons on the lower arm because I think I remember some picture with such positioning of the chevrons for 93rd regiment (I don't remember picture itself, I remember my thought that I will make same chevrons for 93rd in my mod, but I couldn't find that picture, so I could be wrong, but this model is nice illustration to the fact that in 1850s the chevrons could be absent at all or placed in some fancy ways, not like in 1810s, when each drummer had 6 chevrons on the sleeve on equal distances)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 08:06:09 pm by Ivkolya »

Offline Major Shanks of the 42nd

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: April 23, 2019, 11:07:43 pm »
Drummer of 93rd (Sutherland Highlanders) Regiment of Foot (this regiment was the Thin Red Line at Balaklava)

This is how the drummer could look like, because I found only this image of 93rd regiment's drummers' uniform of Crimean War period

This looks bloody amazing laddie, nice work. I apologise I could not have been much help when it came to individual regiments but still I hope my information was of some use.
Just a wee nitpick when it comes to feather bonnets. The small section just under the checkered section of the hat itself should be black rather than blue. Also I think you removed it but it is hard to tell in the NW the Kilmarnock has some green in the checkered section which should be white. The hackle should also be about an inch for so above the bonnet.

Offline Ivkolya

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: April 29, 2019, 11:36:43 pm »
Piper of 93rd (Sutherland Highlanders) Regiment of Foot

Spoiler

[close]

This looks bloody amazing laddie, nice work. I apologise I could not have been much help when it came to individual regiments but still I hope my information was of some use.
Just a wee nitpick when it comes to feather bonnets. The small section just under the checkered section of the hat itself should be black rather than blue. Also I think you removed it but it is hard to tell in the NW the Kilmarnock has some green in the checkered section which should be white. The hackle should also be about an inch for so above the bonnet.

Drummer of 93rd (Sutherland Highlanders) Regiment of Foot with changes based on Major Shanks of the 42nd's feedback

Spoiler

[close]
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 12:23:24 am by Ivkolya »

Offline Dredd

• Second Lieutenant
  • 2e(AU) - 84th(NA)
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Dredd
  • Side: Union
« Reply #454 on: April 30, 2019, 01:36:25 pm »
Hey man keep up the good work!

Offline Major Shanks of the 42nd

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: April 30, 2019, 07:49:20 pm »
Great work on the piper. However this is a very difficult uniform to find. The picture that you use for the piper confuses me. He seems to be more of a civilian or clan piper rather than a regimental piper. Yet on the pipes are the colours with what seems to be a regimental insignia, this insignia is the only regimental sign I can find on his uniform. 
The single breasted doublet was not seen until 1856 where the year before they where double breasted. Yet I have found images of a piper of the 93rd and other regiments with a single breasted doublet in 1854. I assume the source I use is only referring to enlisted men, NCO's and officers but it is something worth mentioning. I can't really provide much help on pipers past 1852 so most, if not all my points here are due to a lack of information on pipers themselves rather than any sources.

The only thing I can say for certain about the uniform is the full fly plaid. The plaid is supposed to be warn around the left shoulder and come just above the gaiters. It should also hold a regimental brooch slightly to the right of the centre of the shoulder and just underneath the shoulder strap. 

I shall ask my reenactments quartermaster if he knows anything about the uniform for pipes during the Crimean war and if he does I shall try my best to describe what he says. Great job on the mod thus far, I cannie wait to see it when it is realised.     

Drummer of 93rd (Sutherland Highlanders) Regiment of Foot with changes based on Major Shanks of the 42nd's feedback

« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 07:58:59 pm by Major Shanks of the 42nd »

Offline Ivkolya

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: May 01, 2019, 12:42:03 am »
Thank you for the answer. I also thought that single-breasted tunics were issued in 1855 or 1856, but it seems that pipers of 93rd had similar (but not the same) tunics earlier (it could be that their tunics were the prototypes of tunics of later period). Here are all images I've found with pipers of 93rd regiment of that period

Spoiler
This image I've posted earlier is called "Pipe Major James Wilson" and it seems to be dated 1853, so it's the strongest proof of pipers of 93rd having single-breasted tunics in the time of the Crimean war

This image is of unknown date, but it is about 1854 uniforms and the piper here has similar tunic (and officer and soldier are in pre-1856 coatees)

These paintings by Eugène Louis Lami called "Officers of the 79th Highlanders at Chobham Camp in 1853" and "A Piper of the 79th Highlanders at Chobham Camp in 1853" show us also single-breasted tunic on the piper (but green for 79th Highlanders) along with double-breasted coatees of ofiicers

These pictures are from Osprey's books, they show uniform of 1853 and 1854, but I doubt that they are 100% right, especially if that picture with Wilson is really dated 1853, so I think many details here are taken from 1970s Agryll and Sutherland Highlanders uniforms.

[close]

All these images show that pipers, at least in some regiments, had single-breasted tunics, much like those worn by today, but not quite the same. In the same time, pipers of 42nd Highlanders wore green jacket and the kilt and plaid of Royal Stewart tartan and feather bonnet (pipers of all other Highland regiments wore glengarry hats)
Spoiler
[close]

So I think I made his uniform quite accurate. As for length of the plaid, I just used NW's model of officer's plaid, because longer plaid will cause bugs in movement animations. As for regimental brooch, I also used one from NW, because I didn't find any information of it, but NW's broosh is very similar to that on the picture of piper Wilson.

Offline HawkonPC

• Captain
  • 4e Hussard's Amateur Brigadier
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #457 on: May 01, 2019, 04:20:26 pm »
Mod looks fantastic, been looking for a Crimean War game/mod for ages so really excited for this  ;D

Still excited  ;D

Offline 33rdKincaid

• Major General
  • 33rd_Col_Kincaid
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Kincaid
« Reply #458 on: May 01, 2019, 04:34:44 pm »
Mod looks fantastic, been looking for a Crimean War game/mod for ages so really excited for this  ;D

Still excited  ;D

Offline Duke Of LongTree

• First Lieutenant
  • 1stRM/USMC
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
« Reply #459 on: May 01, 2019, 06:19:44 pm »

Still excited  ;D

Offline Ivkolya

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: May 01, 2019, 08:41:25 pm »
:)

I hope I will finish the mod soon, I really do :)

Offline ~NickCole~

• Brigadier General
  • Your nans
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 093
« Reply #461 on: May 03, 2019, 04:12:14 pm »

Offline Ivkolya

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile