The Lounge > Historical Reenactment

ACW Re-enactment in Europe: 110th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry Regiment

(1/12) > >>

Duuring:
Hello all!

As some of you might already be aware of, Olafson, Vincenzo, Admiral and me have started our own American Civil War impression around a year ago: The 110th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry Regiment. Its creation has been quite succesful and we now have a solid core of around ten people, though we have managed to get as many as fourteen on our latest event. Many of us, including myself, are in the process of getting high-quality gear and uniforms to replace our old equipment.

Why the 110th?

We choose the 110th Pennsylvania for the very simply reason that it's just one of the hundreds of plain simple infantry regiments in the civil war. They didn't have a fancy uniform, a distinct (national) identity or a special story; They were just Americans from Philidelphia and central Pennsylvania who answered the call to serve their country. When looking for a regiment to re-enact, we came across a photograph of small Union company; the men were wearing regular sack coats and forage caps, with only the corps badge as decoration. This photograph had been wrongly identified as being the 6th Maine. We did one event as the 6th Maine, but when realizing these men were actually of the 110th Pennsylvania, we changed our name accordingly.

Our Impression

Our impression is based on the later half of the war, approx. from spring 1863 to the end of the war. However, we also do events in an earlier timeframe and try to adapt our impression as best as possible when doing so. We are a progressive unit: This means we attempt to do our best to get the best possible impression. In practise this means we drill often, use modern items to a minimum and only when necessary, have the smallest cadre possible and try to march and do battle with all our gear carried. We also do not use A-tents, using only shelter halves or simply creeping up to a fire.

Photos and videos

Civil War event in Walldürn in early spring. Great weather and great event. Excuse our Paki gear tho.. Were getting it changed. [close]
Our camp, cooking breakfast (i.e. warming up the remains from dinner) and rolling cartridges. [close]
Doing evening skirmish drill (Sadly we were doing it wrong, but some people of the German mess have trained us properly at a later August event)[close]
Big album: Civil War Event in Venlo/Limburg. It was really fun. We had the ability to dig and construct our own trench, which was super great, we set up camp in the woods behind it, overall we had a very good time.Spoiler[close]
Beginning of a trench
Spoiler[close]
Counter charging dem Rebs
Spoiler[close]
Preparing for the Rebel Attack
Spoiler
[close]Exchanging coffee for bread
Spoiler

[close]
Captured Rebels
Spoiler

[close]Getting mowed down by a Confederate volley
Spoiler

[close]
Instructing the new recruit
Spoiler[close]
Vince, the sniper
Spoiler[close]
Food time
Spoiler[close][close]

We are always looking for enthusiastic new recruits! Loaner gear will be provided at no extra cost for new people, as well as firearms (with provided training).

However, due to the nature of ACW re-enactment and our approach to re-enactment in general, we are obligated to have some restrictions:

- While unexperienced people are welcome, we do have a preference for experienced re-enactors.

- Our events are mostly in Germany, the Netherlands and Flanders.

- We cannot allow people under the age of 18, mostly due to logistics: Minors do not have their own transportation and usually limited financial possibilities. We have made an exception to this rule, but this exception is someone we know personally. Besides this, we also want to keep the number of unarmed soldiers, such as musicians, to a minimum.

- Our approach to re-enactment is, as mentioned earlier, progressive: Recruits should be aware that a degree of physical fitness is necessary.

Our next event is Walldürn in May 2017! We will be part of a larger unit, re-enacting the 110th in its very first campaign: The 1862 Valley Campaign, against Jackson.

zac:
thx for invite m8 :'( 

U guys also started/joined a ww1 french unit too, forgive me if incorrect?

Olafson:
We made 3 new groups. We have made our own French Napoleonic Group, French WW1 Group and US Civil War Group.

For each we have plenty of gear, uniforms and weapons to lend for anyone that wants to join. We do not expect you to buy any gear until you have sufficient funds to do so. You can lend it as long as you want, but obviously it is nice if you buy the gear from us, or just get new gear yourself. But as I said, no need.

For Napoleonic we have about 3 FULL sets of Uniforms and equipment to lend (Including gun and backpack etc, i.e. everything). For WW1 French we have 9 sets of full gear to lend. (Though only 4 backpacks (Which is not a big problem for WW1) and at the moment only 3 guns to lend.) For Civil War, I am not entirely sure, but I think we have about 12-16 sets to lend. We are lacking a bit in terms of guns, I believe we can only lend out 10 guns or so at the moment, but we are working on that too.

Ted:

--- Quote from: Olafson on December 14, 2016, 09:18:26 am ---We made 3 new groups. We have made our own French Napoleonic Group, French WW1 Group and US Civil War Group.

For each we have plenty of gear, uniforms and weapons to lend for anyone that wants to join. We do not expect you to buy any gear until you have sufficient funds to do so. You can lend it as long as you want, but obviously it is nice if you buy the gear from us, or just get new gear yourself. But as I said, no need.

For Napoleonic we have about 3 FULL sets of Uniforms and equipment to lend (Including gun and backpack etc, i.e. everything). For WW1 French we have 9 sets of full gear to lend. (Though only 4 backpacks (Which is not a big problem for WW1) and at the moment only 3 guns to lend.) For Civil War, I am not entirely sure, but I think we have about 12-16 sets to lend. We are lacking a bit in terms of guns, I believe we can only lend out 10 guns or so at the moment, but we are working on that too.

--- End quote ---

That's where all the donations went ^^

Olafson:
Yeah, as if 16k would be enough for all of that gear.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version