Author Topic: NATO vs Warsaw Pact (Who Would Win)  (Read 29618 times)

Offline Stefiboy

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: [93e]Col. Jacques Mercier
  • Side: Union
NATO vs Warsaw Pact (Who Would Win)
« on: January 10, 2014, 02:34:56 am »
Well, Basically i justed want to pick the community's brains about this scenario.

In a Conventional War, Which Out of these 2 would rise on top. NATO or The Warsaw Pact.

Making an Opinion now
[close]

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • This blamed fight aint got a rear
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
Re: NATO vs Warsaw Pact (Who Would Win)
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 04:02:04 am »
NATO i'd say. So many countries in NATO could probably actually make a stand against Soviet Union. Sure WARSAW pact had quite few countries such as DDR being most advanced army in Warsaw but still it lacked strength. Soviet of course, would be a challenge but i think it'll be defeated by the amount of allied country making combined assault on soviet.

Its likely those countries in WARSAW pact probably would fall through quickly and join the NATO. Not every country behind the curtain are willing to die for Soviet Union.

But this is also age of nuclear, id say it would be one ugly earth with nuclear winter in the end.  :-[  Damn Nukes.

Offline Desert Thunda

• Colonel
  • u wish u knew
    • View Profile
  • Nick: K-KA_Commissar_DesertThunda
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 12:54:11 pm »
The side with the most nukes.

Offline Furrnox

• Lieutenant General
  • Eternally incorrect, centre-left, asshole.
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 02:05:22 pm »
NATO i'd say. So many countries in NATO could probably actually make a stand against Soviet Union. Sure WARSAW pact had quite few countries such as DDR being most advanced army in Warsaw but still it lacked strength. Soviet of course, would be a challenge but i think it'll be defeated by the amount of allied country making combined assault on soviet.

Its likely those countries in WARSAW pact probably would fall through quickly and join the NATO. Not every country behind the curtain are willing to die for Soviet Union.

But this is also age of nuclear, id say it would be one ugly earth with nuclear winter in the end.  :-[  Damn Nukes.

No one has sucsesfully invaded Russia.

Offline DanyEle

• FSE Associate
  • Sssh! I'm coding, don't disturb :D
    • View Profile
  • Nick: DanyEle
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 02:14:36 pm »
No human being would win from such a war.

Offline Aiello

• Donator
  • I like what I'm reading.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2014, 03:03:26 pm »

Except for the Mongols and the Varangians.

You could call the Crimean War, German invasion during WWI, and the Polish-Muscovite successful invasions as Russia was forced to make concessions to the invaders.

Offline Furrnox

• Lieutenant General
  • Eternally incorrect, centre-left, asshole.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2014, 03:07:45 pm »
It wasn't really Russia back then & why not say Vikings instead?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 03:12:33 pm by Furrnox »

Offline Palfer

• Sergeant Major
  • Fais ce que dois advienne que pourra
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Palfer
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2014, 03:20:52 pm »
Baring in mind, it is a conventional war, assuming no Nuclear Weapons would be used.

What people don't seem to understand is, that no one will use a Nuke. If they use one, everyone uses one on them. So, disqualify any points about Nukes etc.

Personally, I think it'd be a hard fought battle, but as stated, the WARSAW nations would fall through, and it seems as though their Economies wouldn't be able to maintain and sustain such a war, and therefore NATO would win.

That, and Britain is on NATOs side. 'Nuff said.

Except for the Mongols and the Varangians.

You could call the Crimean War, German invasion during WWI, and the Polish-Muscovite successful invasions as Russia was forced to make concessions to the invaders.

Russia has always been 'Russia', I assume you mean the Nation itself? Well, Russia didn't just appear, it was formed through smaller nations, much like Germany or England... Or pretty much anywhere. Russia was Russia during the Crimean War, and it was Russia during the German invasion in WWI.

The land of Russia, as in the actual, physical land has been invaded many times, therefore the myth that 'Russia has never been invaded' is simply flawed in many dimensions.

Offline Aiello

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2014, 03:46:51 pm »
It wasn't really Russia back then & why not say Vikings instead?

In the case of the Mongols all of Russia was united against them, Varangians were more piecemeal in their conquests but were still able to exert control over the conquered Russian lands. That doesn't take away from the fact that Russia has lost modern wars in which it was invaded.

I use the term Varangian to specify the group of vikings that conquered and ruled over the slavic tribes in modern day Russia. It is also not 100% known that Varangians were even vikings as there are little to no contemporary accounts of Varangians until they were already established in Russia.

Offline Prince_Eugen

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 19th_Fus_Prince_Eugen
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2014, 03:57:13 pm »
This topic is called to create a shit storm.

Offline Hawke

• Donator
  • Aquila non capit muscas.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Hawke
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2014, 05:11:57 pm »
NATO, the Russians wouldn't have been able to enter West Germany with the military might of the UK and the US defending it. Probably.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 05:34:27 pm by Hawke »

Offline Prince_Eugen

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 19th_Fus_Prince_Eugen
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2014, 05:36:33 pm »
NATO, the Russians wouldn't have been able to enter West Germany with the military might of the UK and the US defending it. Probably.
References, documents, info on which you're basing your statement. Take care to explain for me.

Offline Archduke Sven

• Brigadier General
  • I have over 1000 warning points, be careful.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: regimentless sven
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2014, 06:56:16 pm »
Warsaw Pact nations had shit economies, they wouldn't have been able to sustain a longer war. In a conventional war, i feel that the both sides would be very equal in military terms, the only real advantages would be that NATO forces would have air superiority (If not supremacy) almost immediatly, while the Warsaw Pact nations would be able to bring in their full might much quicker than NATO (Ferrying sizeable amounts of US troops would take a couple of weeks), until then all that would be trying to hold back the Warsaw Pact would be Germany, France (Depending on year), Italy, the UK, NL BE and Spain (Again, depending on year) on the mainland, and Norway all on its own up north.

So, i believe the frontline would become static, somewhere in Germany - Northern Italy, at which point having a strong economy to keep war production up would be neccesary, something that NATO countries had an advantage of.

Also, there is the point that many people within Warsaw Pact had many dissenters, since communist regimes where not particularly well liked, thus presenting several Warsaw Pact nations with another disadvantage. NATO countries did have the same issue (France for example), however not to the same degree.

This is all considering nobody used tactical or strategic nuclear weapons.

told that bih don't @ me

Offline Aiello

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2014, 09:00:42 pm »
The time that this theoretical conflict would be taking place is also important. If this is taking place within 5 years of WWII ending, Warsaw pact forces probably could make a huge push into Western Europe. If you look at a map of allied armies at the end of WWII (in the spoiler tags below), Communist forces have a significantly larger force. If the conflict occurs close to WWII's end date NATO forces could perhaps be encircled by a much larger force. It really depends on how quickly that the Soviet Union and friends could surround NATO forces. A country like the USA had the capacity to mobilize an enormous force in a short time and would most likely stop the communists at some point, but most of Germany could have been taken by that point. This is really the only time frame that I see Warsaw pact countries actually winning, crushing existing NATO armies before they get a change to send reinforcements to Europe.

If a communist push is bogged down fighting a much smaller force giving time for NATO reinforcements then NATO would more likely be able to sustain the war longer and have a good chance of winning.

Spoiler
Allied armies at the end of WWII
[close]
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 09:03:07 pm by Aiello »

Offline BNS Marko

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Bear Force 2
  • Nick: BNS Marko
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2014, 09:05:25 pm »
Warsaw pact, Putin is a strong leader, focuses on military and won't let go. If it's a conventional war(no nukes), I'd place my bet on Warsaw, hardier men and units. Technological inferiority is a lie, it's just less d***waving that USA, just check out some of the military excercises Putin does...and the state of readyness of Russia's army.