Author Topic: Let's discuss: Reenacting!  (Read 231464 times)

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Let's discuss: Reenacting!
« Reply #2310 on: August 26, 2018, 11:59:33 am »
We're all cannonfodder, and junior officers are just there to replace people who are actually important. None of us matter, Riddlez.  :'(

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
  • Nick: FSE_Olafson
  • Side: Union
« Reply #2311 on: August 26, 2018, 06:48:40 pm »
But if junior officers replace people that are important does that not make them important too?

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #2312 on: August 26, 2018, 07:03:17 pm »
Not until something kills or incapacitates the important person.

Like, literally, is the second lieutenant ever mentioned in the drill book apart from the one sentence explaining where he stands?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 10:22:02 am by Duuring »

Offline zac

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2313 on: September 03, 2018, 09:36:56 am »
*sips tea*

>I bayoneted a eucalyptus tree the other day and my bayonet lug broke off :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 12:41:56 am by zac »

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
« Reply #2314 on: September 03, 2018, 10:14:18 am »
Corps Sutler uniforms arent to bad though. If you tell him what he has to do in exact detail I am sure he could make coats that are okay. Only his wool sucks.

>I bayoneted a eucalyptus tree the other day and my bayonet lug broke off :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
We also have a gun where that happened. It was leaning against something and decided to fall over, and bam the bayonet lug broke off. Fucking sucks.

Offline zac

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2315 on: September 03, 2018, 10:29:38 am »
I agree mostly. His stuff has improved alot since the 2010's.. however for anyone doing redcoats it's still an issue despite his cut improving...the red is horrible..but, we March on!

Ouch, this is why we need plug bayonets lol

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
« Reply #2316 on: September 03, 2018, 10:40:39 am »
I agree mostly. His stuff has improved alot since the 2010's.. however for anyone doing redcoats it's still an issue despite his cut improving...the red is horrible..but, we March on!

Ouch, this is why we need plug bayonets lol

Ib4 the plug breaks off and renders the gun completely useless.

Offline zac

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2317 on: September 03, 2018, 10:46:01 am »
You can always use the stock as a last resort :p ...Lock stock and barrel  ::)

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #2318 on: September 04, 2018, 11:06:20 pm »
>looks at other time periods and how authenticity+actually doing events = new recruits and stuff

Very true. The Progressive scene holds the future.

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
« Reply #2319 on: September 29, 2018, 06:10:14 pm »
Like the apparant lack of instruction how to make a musket pyramid.

Did French regiments of the First Empire ever carry musket racks with their baggage on maneuvers or campaign? I ask because in Russian, "pyramid" can refer to either an impromptu stack of weapons like you're referring to, or to an actual built piece of carpentry for the purpose of neatly storing weapons. The prescribed equipment tables of 1798 and 1802 allot each infantry company two such racks and the infantry regulations assign them a place in the regimental camp between the company's tents and their "place of arms" where they assemble in formation. Banners and drums could also be placed in rests but those were not provided for by the state. If the musket racks were not available, they would fall back on the improvised piled arms.

At formal guard posts in towns and garrisons, the positions of individual sentries even had their own musket rests (short wooden posts with a notch cut in the top). In fact, the regulations even call for these to be planted outside the tents of generals in the field and at key positions around a camp's exterior, but understandably it was ignored in practice.

Alright, thanks.

If you were curious what I meant by individual stands or rests for sentries, here are some illustrations:
Spoiler

[close]

Bluehawk if you are reading this, remember this talk we had?

I got new information that the French did indeed have stands similar to the Russian stands you showed us. However, this does not make the way of forming a "Pyramid" out of muskets wrong as it would surely have happened when not in an actual camp (more permanent camp) as evidenced by period drawing showing Musket "Pyramids".
Anyway it looks like at the end of the day, when there was a more permanent camp was to be formed, officers were to instruct some men to go to the woods, hack down some trees and make muskets stands.
Each stand was supposed to be large enough for one company, so each company would have its own stand, all next to each other like in the line of battle. They were supposed to have "roof" too, to protect the guns a little bit. Official orders say that the roof was to be made out of branches and straw, but the illustrations below shows wooden planks as roof.

Here are is a period illustration:

Now here is a period illustration I had for a long time, but I always thought that the guns are just stacked on themself. I always thought that the reason why it looks so strange and symetrical is just because the artist was lazy, but I now believe that it is indeed showing the musket racks/stands as described above and it is simply missing the roof.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 07:28:43 pm by Olafson »

Offline Bluehawk

• Sergeant Major
  • чекмень - шаровары - шашка
    • View Profile
« Reply #2320 on: September 30, 2018, 02:13:45 am »
Neat.

The British had similar tents to the French ones you showed, at least in the mid-18th century and American Revolution. They were referred to in English as "bells of arms" due to their shape.
https://books.google.ca/books?id=ed1hAAAAcAAJ&pg=PA30#v=onepage&q&f=false

http://www.nwta.com/courier/4-96/racks.html

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Riddlez
« Reply #2321 on: October 01, 2018, 06:54:38 pm »
Is there any evidence of gay fraternizing in the French Imperial army?

I have always wondered... such a lot of men, surely a lot were gay... I guess proof of this would be executions for unholy conduct... but I wonder.
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
« Reply #2322 on: October 01, 2018, 07:41:47 pm »
Homosexuality was practially no longer a crime after the French Revolution. It probably happened, but people most likely still kept quiet about it.
Also, the French Army did not execute that much. Most charges resulted in a prison sentence. They also did not use the whip, unlike the British for example.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_Penal_Code_of_1791
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 07:58:58 pm by Olafson »

Online 33rdKincaid

• Major General
  • 33rd_Col_Kincaid
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Kincaid
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #2323 on: October 04, 2018, 04:41:56 pm »
Now here is a period illustration I had for a long time, but I always thought that the guns are just stacked on themself. I always thought that the reason why it looks so strange and symetrical is just because the artist was lazy, but I now believe that it is indeed showing the musket racks/stands as described above and it is simply missing the roof.
Spoiler
[close]

Must've seen this a dozen times and never noticed - that's fantastic; I suppose any situation when a French company was static enough to have canvas or proper shelters it would also most likely have stands, interesting!!
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 05:00:19 pm by 33rdKincaid »

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
« Reply #2324 on: October 04, 2018, 08:27:03 pm »
This set of drawings is overall very nice. Not for the uniforms it depicts, but for the detail of the stuff in the background... Several of the drawings show stuff that you can not see anywhere else.
I just wish I had the orignal drawings available, the colors on this one seem to be repainted.
I had a book of all of the drawings in Quatre Bras, but someone stole it... Fucking sucks.